Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6241 - 6260 of 6294 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Today we removed the GT shock from the ST and replaced the original. The GT is overpowered for the ST and makes the ride harsh over bumpy roads (and I ride on that kind of road a lot). On super smooth roads it felt nice and firm. On all other roads the rear end reacted too harshly to bumps and caused the bike to pitch fore and aft. Through corners the rear end could be felt breaking traction and skipping wide.

I wondered if it would be better with the extra weight of a pillion, but my trusty partner gave it a vote of no confidence after one 200km ride through the hills. (Combined we weigh approx 145kg (320lb)).

I've found and read several forum threads since I installed it and the opinions of people with suspension knowledge is that the GT shock is over-damped for the GT application and this is made worse on th ST due to the shorter swingarm and lower leveraging.

All is not lost though. It didn't cost me much and I got to have a play and learn some stuff. I now have the GT shock and another ST shock (from the retired bike) to have a play with. I dont have the resources to open up the shock bodies and mess with the internals, but I may be able to swap the springs and/or the preload assemblies and come up with something that works.
Depending on the results of those experiments I will consider whether to locate an 850 or 900lb spring to fit to the standard shock or take the plunge and order an aftermarket replacement. The last option is easiest but costly, especially since I want to retain the ability to easily adjust preload for different loads.

Keef.

·
Registered
76 Posts
...and maybe a well-placed shop towel. It's amazing how far that thing will fly!
Place a broom handle or whatever you have up thru the axle first. Instead of flying off (usually aimed at your head or arm) it just spins on the handle. The head of the broom stops it going any further ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I pulled over for a quick-pic of the odometer during a 300km ride with friends through the hills. It is the last time this bike will show 5 digits on the odometer. Now she's got six and that's probably as many as she will ever get (although that leaves about 900000 kms worth of spare distance in case anyone is thinking I just jinxed the bike).
20200216_095746 km99999.jpg

We visited a truck-stop called Yvettes' Place in Pickering Brook, then headed further north through Mundaring Weir, and the edge of Swan Valley before heading back to Gidgegannup via the Lancewood Drive rollercoaster and O'Briens Road for a quick lunch. We headed home via Mundaring Weir, Canning Mills and Jarrahdale.

Keef

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been doing a major overdue maintenance project on my 2000 RS. Cams are out on bench waiting for shims from Hermys. All 12 valves were below min clearance at 16000 miles. Never checked so I got lucky none of them closed up completely. My fuel tank is chilling outside in my shed waiting for it to shrink back to original size. Gonna seal it when it does.No ethanol fuel available here in NJ. Did the battery cable upgrade to fix the slow crank it issue. Also gonna sync throttle bodies and change fork oil. Really enjoying spending time in shop working on bike. This forum is fantastic so much great info. I'd be lost without it thanks guys!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes, original motor I've owned from new and with zero work other than valve checks, replace plugs and TB balance every so often. I change oil - Motul 300V - and filter every 10K km and have never had to add oil between changes. Stonking motors these 1050's. Has never stranded me though I have replaced 3 stators.
Very impressive! (y)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nice sunny day, this President's Day - took the RS up to Greenpoint, Brooklyn, where you can get two donuts and coffee for $3.50 at Peter Pan, an 'old school' shop. Seems like I haven't been in that neighborhood in years. Nice day!

·
2,986 Posts
I didn't do anything to my Sprints today, since I'm still nursing this back injury. PT 3x a week, still hurts.

However, I had a dream last night that my kid threw my silver Sprint (first clue that it was a dream), and broke it's frame. Then I went to my dealer looking for a new frame (second clue that it was a dream). I must be dim because I went down to the garage to make sure my baby was still ok. She was, whew. She's right next to the blue Sprint, while on the other side my Daytona 955 is in bits while I slowly (very slowly it seems) get it in working shape. No broken frames, but i'm still grumpy at my kid 🤣

·
Registered
49 Posts
Finally the heated grips came, so I'm in the process of installing them. So far eveything seems to be ok. Just need to modify a couple of connectors to get power to the controller.
After that is done and working it's time to install a USB charger socket.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Decided to do the rear hub bearings as there is no record of it having been done. I bought the bike at 29k kms and it is now at 42k kms.
I have done a few bearings on cars and some of them have been a right PITA, so when a used swing arm came up on ebay I grabbed it. That way I could take my time replacing the bearings on the hub, clean up the axle and just swap them into my bike when it was done. The only problem with the axle is that it was from a non ABS bike so the disc rotor is different, it doesn't have the extra tabs to attach the sensor ring.
Easy I thought, four bolts and it's off. Wrong. Even with a breaker bar and socket all it did was strip the nut. I'm sure somebody has welded it in place 😖
So I pulled my bike apart, cleaned up the existing axle and put it all back together with the refurbished hub. Took it for a test ride and everything is wonderful, except that I have no back brake. Get home and checked it out. I somehow managed to get grease on the rotor! So once I clean it all properly I will have an as new rear.

The other bonus of the swing arm is that it all the suspension linkages, so I can service them and again just swap them over when I am ready.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its boring...rain..rain...rain..so was looking in my garage for a nice work. But....all is claean and the bike is ready for the season.
Its nice to have good friends wirh good ideas....neighbours idea was..lets have a beer....maybe a little bit more.
He moves and comes back some minutes later with a 30 Liter barrel full of Warsteiner beer... I love my garage!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Let's see, I cleaned, oiled and adjusted the chain! Impressive eh? :)

·
2,986 Posts
Let's see, I cleaned, oiled and adjusted the chain! Impressive eh? :)
More than I've been able to manage, so yes.

Such long honey do lists for my bikes. Most I am attempting is moving battery tender plugs around. 2 tenders, 5 bikes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well I did get out today - rode up the FDR to the Palisades Parkway, and then up to Harriman Park. Lots of bikes out .... even more souped up cars (from Hondas to BMWs). I've never see the number of cars before. It is February, right?

My bike was nearly the oldest by far, except a guy had a 1980-ish Suzuki 850. Yeah, I was a bit envious of the new Thruxton, the new Nine R T, the Monster .... all with after market pipes and various other tasty bits. But my Sprint did just fine for a Sunday outing.

·
2,986 Posts
First day back on the Sprint today since I got in my car crash 4 months ago. Second time back on a bike. We'll see how my back does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
(Yesterday) Got my bike back from the dealer after the 100,000km service. No problems reported with the bike, shims were in spec so no need to replace them. Had a new Michelin PR5 fitted to the front. This is my third front PR5, the previous two lasting 17700km and 16800km respectively. I like the PR5 on the front, find it doesnt cup and scallop as bad as the PR4. But I found I didn't like the Rear PR5, I found the shoulders wore away quicker than the middle and the edges and therefore the bike felt like it 'dropped' and 'let go' momentarily when tipping into a corner. Two of my friends also reported similar performance so I went back to a PR4 on the rear last time.

Also last week after a lot of investigation and a long discussion with Mrs Keef about why I couldn't adjust her Monster 1100 to suit her 48kg (110lb) weight properly (it has the same strength spring on the back as a standard 1050ST but weighs about 50kg less) we decided to purchase Wilbers 641 shocks for both bikes. They will take a few weeks to arrive.
Keef.

6241 - 6260 of 6294 Posts