Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6221 - 6226 of 6226 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Yes, that took everyone here by surprise and left us all a bit stunned.
Here's the thread if you haven't found it:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Many thanks for sharing the link Steve. It is strange to think, that in my mind, everything was just as it was until I read those few posts that indicated something had changed. It reminds me of that Schrodinger's cat theory (I just googled "cat in the box story" to find the theory's name) in that you can be going along assuming something completely wrong based on previous information until you suddenly get an update, and find everything has changed.
I will miss him, as many others obviously will too. I'm glad that his RS will 'live-on' with HAP.

In a few moments, I will gather myself up and commence pulling my main Sprint apart so I can see if I can install that GT shock. Monday is a public holiday (Australia day) and work released us early today so I'm at the front end of a 3.5 day break. A good time to start experimenting with a non-standard fit and do some testing. Hopefully I wont be reversing the process due to unexpected results! My wife (aka KG) will want to go out on the bikes at some point too.

cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The good news is that MileHighScottie stepped up to the plate.
The bad news is that he let a car total the bike I steered him to. You think he would have power wheelied his way to safety by jumping the stopped car in front of him but nooooooooooooo....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Today we finished the GT shock installation we started yesterday.

The shock itself went in easy and was a straight 'bolt-up' conversion. Working out the best position to mount the preload adjuster and route the hose so that there was no strain on the fittings took a while longer. That’s as far as we got last night before failing light and mosquitos convinced us to pack up.

This morning we worked on modifying the bracket that came with it so it could be attached to the bottom of the battery tray and made more adjustments to the angles of the preload piston cuff and the banjo bolts so that it all fit well.

We got it all back together just before lunch, had a break and took both bikes out for a short ride this afternoon. I'll work out exactly where I want the preload and damping over the next few rides, but already its working well, with the bike firmer and better behaved than it ever was with the stock ST shock.

Attachments

·
2,935 Posts
The good news is that MileHighScottie stepped up to the plate.
The bad news is that he let a car total the bike I steered him to. You think he would have power wheelied his way to safety by jumping the stopped car in front of him but nooooooooooooo....
I'll never be able to fill the shoes Kit left here as moderator and knowledge guru. I try though.

I'll have you know, Steve, that bike is fixed up and rides perfectly. HAP has the doner. Mrs MHS won't let me sell it either, and whines if I want her to test ride anything more modern. Plus, I've become friends with the previous owner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Now I'm more confused than usual. I thought the one I told you about got smashed to bits and you parted it out and then bought another one (or two)? Did the one I told you about get hit and then fixed back up?

6221 - 6226 of 6226 Posts