Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6221 - 6240 of 6254 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Yes, that took everyone here by surprise and left us all a bit stunned.
Here's the thread if you haven't found it:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Many thanks for sharing the link Steve. It is strange to think, that in my mind, everything was just as it was until I read those few posts that indicated something had changed. It reminds me of that Schrodinger's cat theory (I just googled "cat in the box story" to find the theory's name) in that you can be going along assuming something completely wrong based on previous information until you suddenly get an update, and find everything has changed.
I will miss him, as many others obviously will too. I'm glad that his RS will 'live-on' with HAP.

In a few moments, I will gather myself up and commence pulling my main Sprint apart so I can see if I can install that GT shock. Monday is a public holiday (Australia day) and work released us early today so I'm at the front end of a 3.5 day break. A good time to start experimenting with a non-standard fit and do some testing. Hopefully I wont be reversing the process due to unexpected results! My wife (aka KG) will want to go out on the bikes at some point too.

cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The good news is that MileHighScottie stepped up to the plate.
The bad news is that he let a car total the bike I steered him to. You think he would have power wheelied his way to safety by jumping the stopped car in front of him but nooooooooooooo....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Today we finished the GT shock installation we started yesterday.

The shock itself went in easy and was a straight 'bolt-up' conversion. Working out the best position to mount the preload adjuster and route the hose so that there was no strain on the fittings took a while longer. That’s as far as we got last night before failing light and mosquitos convinced us to pack up.

This morning we worked on modifying the bracket that came with it so it could be attached to the bottom of the battery tray and made more adjustments to the angles of the preload piston cuff and the banjo bolts so that it all fit well.

We got it all back together just before lunch, had a break and took both bikes out for a short ride this afternoon. I'll work out exactly where I want the preload and damping over the next few rides, but already its working well, with the bike firmer and better behaved than it ever was with the stock ST shock.

Attachments

·
2,945 Posts
The good news is that MileHighScottie stepped up to the plate.
The bad news is that he let a car total the bike I steered him to. You think he would have power wheelied his way to safety by jumping the stopped car in front of him but nooooooooooooo....
I'll never be able to fill the shoes Kit left here as moderator and knowledge guru. I try though.

I'll have you know, Steve, that bike is fixed up and rides perfectly. HAP has the doner. Mrs MHS won't let me sell it either, and whines if I want her to test ride anything more modern. Plus, I've become friends with the previous owner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Now I'm more confused than usual. I thought the one I told you about got smashed to bits and you parted it out and then bought another one (or two)? Did the one I told you about get hit and then fixed back up?

·
2,945 Posts
Well if you mean the Caspian Blue Sprint from Georgia, that a bloke was selling in the classifieds... I believe it was you who clued me in on it. Bought that beaut for Mrs. MHS, and that one was what I was riding when I got punted. Cracked plastics and a holed radiator were the major damage but insurance wrote it off. I bought a Sapphire Blue, which I took off the bags and all the plastics and put them on the crashed bike.

That crash left me with a broken clavicle and three broken ribs (don't carry a pistol in a shoulder rig, kids).

Then HAP bought the left overs from the sapphire bike, as it had a gen1 engine in it. He hauled it away along side a black Sprint that I think had been Kit's, and left me drooling for a Kendon trailer. If I only had the space....

You actually have the bags from that Caspian bike, Steve.

Then, I bought the silver Sprint from a guy in California, with only 4900 miles on it (now it has almost 16k on the clock). If you ask Jeremy, I stole it under his nose. Not the only time that I have done that to Jeremy hahaha

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What's with the stealing of bikes? Dealing with all of you, our cash took a hit in: purchase, frieght, sparkles.
Kit's bike is blue, lighter shade than MHS wreak, Steve's bike is black, Jeremy's is red and grandson's crashed bike has all sorts of colors just needs new head.
Waiting for a yellow RS and trying really hard not to get a 2001 purple 900 Trophy with 3156 miles that has always lived in heated garage.
I have been suffering loss over that last couple days. Jeremy now has my red 99 Daytona to stare at whilst rebuilding his z240.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Almost got wiped out by a Toyota Landcruiser that failed to give way to me on a round-about this morning, we ended up sharing the lane as I pulled narrow and he veered wide to make room at the last moment. I think he missed seeing me because the early morning sun was in his eyes. He stayed a distance back after that, I guess he felt bad.

But after work I fitted the last of my current batch of mods, being the LHS mirror stalk which arrived today. Of course what should have been a quick job grew into a search and rescue mission for one of the nuts which fell into the fairing. Fortunately KG spotted it after I separated the belly pan but before I took the side panel off, and I retrieved it with a grabbing tool. I swapped the mirror glass and indicator lens off the old ST stalk (which had a blind-spot mirror, clear lens and amber tinted globe) onto the new GT stalk and fitted it up to the bike without any further trouble.

We also rechecked the rear sag since we fitted a new shock on Saturday and I've been making small adjustments to the preload and damping over the last few days to get the feel of the bike to where I like it. I think I've almost found my perfect combination, tomorrows ride to work will tell.

I haven't added any pics, since the new mirrors look identical to the old mirrors except for a small access panel hidden under the base of the mount. It looks like this panel can be removed to allow tightening of the pivot bolt while still on the bike which is a feature the original mirrors don't have.

Keef.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I noticed yesterday that the peg on the RHS footpeg was missing, so today I went out to the old bike and took one from it and and put it on the current bike. Meanwhile I had this unusual ad pop up while I was reading some forum threads. Its for an old BMW with factory optioned driving lights that retract into the fairing. To my eyes its ugly as, but I like the idea. It got me thinking of ways it could be used with modern slim-line LED lights.

Anyhow Ill link the pics since a pic is worth a thousand words. While I'm at it, I'll also post a pic from another unusual ad that popped up a few weeks ago for trailer hitch arrangement for a Sprint.

Cheers, Keef.

BMW retract lights 1.jpg BMW retract lights 2.jpg BMW retract lights 3.jpg Trailer hitch for Sprint 1050.jpg

·
2,945 Posts
Wow, she's got a face for radio

·
Registered
483 Posts
Today while I was searching for information on the different wheels available to the Sprints, Daytonas Speed triples etc etc, I found out that the 2012-13 Speed Triple S3R's (not the standard S3) were fitted with forged alloy wheels made by the German company PVM. Now these wheels are half inch wider than Sprint standard of 5.5inch, so will affect handling if fitted. But I know a few of you also run S3's. It just happens that there is a used one off a crashed bike available on ebay for US$285 right now. The seller doesn't seem to realise its off an "R" model since that's not in the title, but the "PVM" branding can clearly be seen in some of the photos. The pics of the wheel show some damage but it looks to be cosmetic. The salvage yard is in North Texas, If you Google: 11 12 13 14 15 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 Rear Wheel Back Rim, you should be able to go straight to it. This wheel should also fit the SSSA 955i Daytonas.

Also found some "New-Old Stock" (warehouse clearance) items from an English site. They have front and rear 955i three-spoke ST/RS/Daytona style wheels available amongst a lot of other things. Google: Triumph Daytona Speed Triple 955i Rear Alloy Wheel Black T2015213 NEW 70% OFF for one example. Watch the prices and postage between similar items though, there is significant variation.

Hope that helps someone out

Keef.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the past week or so I have been going through my new to me 08. Yesterday did a rear axle service and cleaned up the rear caliper. All went well but finding snap ring pliers to suit was not possible on short notice. Used a giant pair of needle nose pliers. Previous to that job I have done a rear suspension service and greased the shift linkage. Also realigned the fairing and replaced some busted bit's in the cockpit. Added a volt meter, and installed the proper map for my TOR on a stock bike. Changed the oil and filter as well. Added a ram ball to the headstock cap and removed passenger pegs also. Next up is a headstock service and fork service. Then I will know what I have. So far all is well.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
You can get a giant snap ring pliers set at scuzzy old Harbor Freight for not too much money. All the way from China, too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can get a giant snap ring pliers set at scuzzy old Harbor Freight for not too much money. All the way from China, too!
Ya that was my next stop if I didn't find anything at autozone. My own large(ish) snap ring pliers were ALMOST enough. I got it off with them but not back on. Was frustrating. Anyway these worked fine.
Duralast 13in Double-X Long Reach Pliers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seriously?
This forum doesn't have a WDYDTYST thread?
Searched all over and can't find one. I knew something was missing around here.

I'll start;
I raised my forks about 8mm in the triple trees. Bike feels "lighter on it's feet". Quicker turn-in. Almost like when you put on new tires. Feels great on the freeway, too.
Me likey!

Adjusted my rear brake pedal up about 1/4" more. Perfect!

While removing my windshield to polish the inside, I had a brainstorm (they don't happen very often :eek:) about improving these headlights. See my other post. input needed for this better headlight idea

Let us all know what you did, too.
Well I took off the front sprocket cover and cleaned out oil and dirt build up. Then cleaned sprockets and chain.
I tend to ensure chain is always clean and lived.
Be safe

·
2,945 Posts
For snap ring pliers, I've found ratcheting ones work best for the rear snap ring

6221 - 6240 of 6254 Posts