Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6201 - 6220 of 6254 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
A visit in my cold garage to activate the heater (2 infrared heater each 2000 watts. 10 min later back in the garage with my neighbour...opening 2 beers (Warsteiner)....3 hours later we had killed 14 cans....it was noon....and my wife was not amused😅. Tomorrow I will remove the swingarm and the rear bearings.... cleaning and grease.

·
Registered
172 Posts
955 - updated my dashes with the new code to provide built in FUELBOT style fuel measurment - and ran a wire from one injector to the dash to facilitate - .
Does the fuel consumption based off the injector pulse width and provides fuel meter, distance to empty and average fuel economy on the one display for fuel.
Calibration is a once off process and tank capacity and reserve capacity configurable.

1050 - LED headlights for the low beams installed,
side silver trim swapped over to the "clear" indicator trims -
dead alarm removed
gps based speed zone based number plate flipper controller installed for evaluation -- and before you ask - no flipper on the number plate - just for debugging the code.

then it was a case of why wont it start - .....no starter action -
fairings off and multmeter out - .....
turned out to be pin 3 on the alarm connector pushed back -

all good again-
on with the testing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changed broken left mirror finally. I also decided to get rid of the stock seat pad, it was driving me crazy. I'm still browsing this page reading reviews because I'm planning some big trips this summer, just want to be prepared and do not regret about the stiff butt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not today, but yesterday I reattached the upper left infill panel clip, snapped off, not sure when. I used my trusty Plast-Aid 2-part glue/filler/casting material to reattach the plastic bit and build it up with more material where it broke off. The clip mount was very thin plastic, no wonder it failed. Not sure if Plast-Aid is sold outside the US, but it works great on whatever the fairings are made off and hardens in under an hour. I use the 2-part stuff. Kit I bought several years has fixed a lot of broken plastic things.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Revival Cycles has a 2006 Sprint ST up for sale with some pretty pictures. Yall might be interested in taking a look.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Changed broken left mirror finally. I also decided to get rid of the stock seat pad, it was driving me crazy. I'm still browsing this page reading reviews because I'm planning some big trips this summer, just want to be prepared and do not regret about the stiff butt.
If you're planning long distance riding, I can recommend using a Bead Rider. Home - BeadRider - Beaded Motorcycle Seats
A lot of the Iron Butt riders use them, and they are one of only 2 products recommended by the IBA. I use one myself, and it really does help.

';-)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Visited the Gnomes

First post I've done in about 6 years, although I have been riding a 2008 Tornado red ST almost daily the over the period. I'm currently riding the second of two '08s I've had, the first was bought new but 'retired' about 5 years later with 115000 km on the clock due to recurring electrical issues which caused it to become unreliable. November 2014 saw another 08 with 17000 km become available locally for a good price and I bought it. I transferred all my farkles and even the bodywork from the old to the new and kept on riding. The 'new' one has done 98000km now.

I ride it to and from work most weekdays (around 32km each way) and take it out for a country ride most Sundays with my wife (she has her own Ducati Monster 1100evo) and friends.

Todays ride we went for a 320km (200mile) ride south to the Ferguson Valley region of Western Australia to visit Gnomesville. We also stopped at Brunswick for a coffee and Dardannup for lunch.

For those that have not heard of it, Gnomesville is a congregation of thousands of garden gnomes that have been put in an area bordering the road at a lonely round-a-bout in the Ferguson Valley. The inhabitants of Gnomesville (the gnomes) have all been placed there by tourists who come from far and wide to add to the 'collection'. Every now and then a flood or other event reduces the population but these setbacks are always temporary and the number of gnomes increases every week. There are thousands and thousands of them.
The local council has erected signs explaining the 'official version" of how Gnomesville started, but that version is decidedly less embarrassing to the local council than the unofficial version which has been going around longer.

Ill attach a few pics

20200119_113842 EvoSprint at gnomes.jpg
20200119_114706 Gnomes1.jpg
20200119_115244 Gnomebaker.jpg 20200119_115734 Gnomebiker.jpg 20200119_115814 WSW Gnomesign.jpg 20200119_115920 Gnomebiker2.jpg

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you're planning long distance riding, I can recommend using a Bead Rider. Home - BeadRider - Beaded Motorcycle Seats
A lot of the Iron Butt riders use them, and they are one of only 2 products recommended by the IBA. I use one myself, and it really does help.

';-)
Which model and size do you recommend? I don't see the difference in quality/materials between the 'classic' and the 'ultimate.'

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Which model and size do you recommend? I don't see the difference in quality/materials between the 'classic' and the 'ultimate.'
Hi chickenstrip,

From the website:
The UBR is constructed with reinforced ceramic composite beads
--- and ---
the Classic is the original seat, as I recall those are wood beads. I went for the Ultimate, and haven't tried the Classic.

';-)

·
2,945 Posts
What does one consider "long distance" when contemplating using bead seat covers?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
What does one consider "long distance" when contemplating using bead seat covers?

It works all the time for me. Pretty limited by roads and traffic here on Long Island, so my usual trips are 20 - 50 miles around the beach roads. Long distance would be a ~3000 mile round trip to Arkansas and back, which I have done a few times.
One of the biggest advantages is when you get caught in a rain storm; the beads allow the water to flow away so it doesn't soak through your rain gear. All in all, it adds to comfort and enjoyment. I might add that I'm rather skinny, without a lot of posterior padding, lol.

';-)

·
2,945 Posts
I may try some when I go on a week long ride next. My arse does get unhappy sometimes

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
My first long ride to Ark was a real pain! After I came back, I developed a creeping, electric pain along my right shoulder that took a few weeks to get rid of. I figured it was from too much leaning forward, so I added one inch risers and a ThrottleMeister. Those really helped and the shoulder pain hasn't come back.

Then I had to address my legs getting cramped, and my rear end getting itchy and hurting. Merino wool underwear and the Bead Rider really helped with those. I added some dropped foot pegs (following some posts here on TRat) and that helped some too.

At 73 yo, some people around me think I'm a little off to be suffering through these things, and they may be right; I like to run half-marathons too!

';-)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I rode a friends GT a month ago and decided to incorporate some GT parts onto my ST to take advantage of some of the improvements that were made at the model change. Over the christmas break I swapped out the rear wheel (including axle) and the RHS mirror stalk. A LHS mirror is on its way. Today a GT shock arrived that I got for a good price. Intentions are to try it out and see if the if the stronger spring rate is of any benefit. My main issue with the ST shock is that I have to set preload to maximum with just me on it (I weigh about 100Kg (220lbs) geared up) and I have no additional capacity to increase preload when carrying a pillion or when adding panniers for overnighters etc.

Today the wife and I pulled the old retired '08 out of the shed and removed the rear shock so we could test fit the GT shock on a bike that already has a lot of parts removed. We successfully pulled the old shock out and installed the GT one and then reversed the process in about 3 hours. It looks like the actual shock will fit without problem (I checked that the GT/ST securing hardware was the same on parts-breakdown pics before I purchased) but I'm not totally sure where the remote preload is going to mount yet. GT's have them on the RHS but the ST's have the exhaust upright there. After a bit of wriggling around it looks likely that I will be able to secure it to the lower subframe bolt on the LHS and project it through the gap in the frame there roughly where the ST shock preload was accessed from. I will work out the finer details when I (we) install it on the main bike soon.

Cheers, Keef.
20200121_181709 shocktest.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
I rode a friends GT a month ago and decided to incorporate some GT parts onto my ST to take advantage of some of the improvements that were made at the model change. Over the christmas break I swapped out the rear wheel (including axle) and the RHS mirror stalk.

Cheers, Keef.
View attachment 717030
Was there a factory rear wheel and axal change from ST to GT? Can't say I ever heard of that.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The GT rear wheel is lighter and the number of locating holes is different compared to the ST.
I spent some time researching that when I got my GT and discovered that some bonehead used Red Loctite on the left hand nut. I was able to salvage it with a gigantic die, the nut was taking the threads with it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Was there a factory rear wheel and axal change from ST to GT? Can't say I ever heard of that.
I have read in several bike tests and posts that there is a 2.2lb weight saving between the ST and GT rear wheels. It is an idea that I have thought about for many years but the cost was quite high for what seemed a minor gain when I first considered it. I was also aware that GT wheels wont mount directly to an ST axle but didn't know the reason why or the modifications required to make it work until I read another thread late last year that stated that the reason was the different number of locating pins / holes and that could be sorted by fitting a GT axle into the ST hub.

Late last year I sourced a wheel and hub from a bike-breaker to check things out. First I test-fit them into the retired bike to make sure everything fit together properly and it did. Then I had the (almost new) tyre from the ST wheel moved to the GT wheel and then fitted everything to the main bike a couple of days later. While I had the axle out I also removed the hub and gave it a clean and re-greased the bearings. I last greased them when I first got this bike in 2014 and there was still plenty of grease in there. Then I mounted up the axle before I realised I needed to fit the brake disc before the axle went into the hub, so out it all came again to have the disc fitted and then back in again.

I have ridden the bike about 500kms since then. The differences are subtle but definite. The back end seems more flickable, easier to transition from side to side, and better behaved (smoother) over small bumps. She seems a little more responsive to throttle inputs too, but also a little more prone to lock-up under braking on loose surfaces (until I recalibrated my braking effort to suit).

I weighed the GT and ST wheels without tyres (not at the same time but on the same scales). As far as I can tell the claimed 2.2lbs (1kg) is an overstatement, I measured a 0.7kg difference (5.8KG vs 5.1KG) but later it occured to me that there might be a weight saving in the axle too - but Im not going to dismantle everything to find out. The tyres actually weigh much more than the wheels, with the combined weight of the GT wheel and tyre (PR4 GT) coming in at over 11KG.

In the pics below the wheel with the tyre is the ST and the other is the GT. If you look closely you can see the GT wheel has a stepped profile between the rim and the spokes, whereas the ST is a sloped profile.

The axle with the brake disc and the four locating pins is the ST and the other with the five locating pins is the GT.

My wife had the last laugh though, I thought I did well sourcing these 2nd hand parts, but during our searches for them she came across an add for a clearance-sale and she secured a brand-new, still in the original box, rear wheel for her Monster for $400 below RRP and $50 less than I paid for my used one.

Cheers, Keef

20200108_183023 GT vs ST axle.jpg 20200108_182836 ST vs GT Wheel.jpg

20200108_182552 ST vs GT Wheel.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
All very interesting, thanks, though not something I would consider doing unless I needed a new rear wheel and the GT one was my only option.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Today I rode the Sprint to work and back, and I got a chance to ride a HD for the first time, A friend brought one around at work which his local HD dealer loaned him while his V-Rod has work done on the rear suspension. I cant remember what he called it, it had a bunch of letters in its name and an 803 engine. My impressions were that it was pretty powerful, much smoother than I expected. Power delivery comes on different, speed climbs quickly. Easy to ride except needs much more room to U-turn it.

Fair enough, although I'm not trying to sell the idea, rather just explain how it works and what it involved. My wife and I run a budget, and part of that budget is that we both get a small 'hobby fund' which we can save or spend on whatever we want, totally justification free. She tends to trickle spend hers on lots of small things. Mine tends to build up to stupid levels and then gets spent all at once. So this time I have decided to go parts raiding and retro-fit some of those parts that were improved for the GT's onto my ST. So now I will have mirrors that can be tightened so they don't wobble, a back wheel thats slightly lighter, and a shock that isn't maxed out for preload. My hobby fund is almost but not quite wiped out now, and I'm back in recharge mode for my next project which will be to upgrade the forks. However, I spotted something interesting (not essential) during my ebay trawling, and I'm hoping it will remain on the market long enough for me to save up the difference between what I have got left and what it costs. So the fork upgrade might take a little longer than first planned. I could just tap our savings and get it, but that's not how we operate and it would remove some of the sense of achievement.

On another, sadder note, Over the last few days I have been reading through this thread from the start to see what I have missed in the 6 years since I was last a regular, and late yesterday I got up to April 2018. I found out why someone I had interacted with in the past, and whom I was looking forward to asking some questions regarding a particular mod to his bike, hadn't made any recent posts recently. No-one stated it directly, but there was a little hint here, and another there. Curious I looked into it, fearing the worst, hoping for something else, but eventually finding that the fears were correct. Came as a total shock, and gutted me for a while. RIP Kit.

6201 - 6220 of 6254 Posts