Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

What did you do to your Sprint today?

992K views 8K replies 681 participants last post by  Nik76 
#1 · (Edited)
Seriously?
This forum doesn't have a WDYDTYST thread?
Searched all over and can't find one. I knew something was missing around here.

I'll start;
I raised my forks about 8mm in the triple trees. Bike feels "lighter on it's feet". Quicker turn-in. Almost like when you put on new tires. Feels great on the freeway, too.
Me likey!

Adjusted my rear brake pedal up about 1/4" more. Perfect!

While removing my windshield to polish the inside, I had a brainstorm (they don't happen very often :eek:) about improving these headlights. See my other post. http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/183227-input-needed-for-this-better-headlight-idea.html

Let us all know what you did, too.

#3 ·
Good call, Sofadriver! :D

Topped up the coolant, which was down maybe half an inch below the Min line. I might worry about losing coolant if the vast majority of the days since i changed it hadn't been over 100ºF, but since they have I'm thinking it's probably normal to lose a few ounces.

Also took the long way to the grocery store, which would've been nice in daylight but was freakin' scary in the dark! I found a nice, twisty road, but the centerline needed repainting almost as bad as I need a job, and there were a whole lot more deer than street lights!

Cheers,
-Kit

#5 ·
I dropped mine in the driveway. Kickstand was apparently not all the way forward, I left it running while I closed the garage door. Pretty easy fix, had a spare chrome piece and some touch up paint plus clear coat. Some rubbing compound after it dries and it should be good as new again.

Attachments

#7 ·
I've done more work on that bike in the last month than I've ridden it!

It got the 36k mile service (still need to do the needle bearings).

Washed, waxed, touched up all stone chips.

New bolts in the windshield and fairings and lots more touch up. Cleaned my windshield edges too while doing that.

Yesterday I repaired the hole in the seat,

Soon it will get new tires, the rear axle service, hugger put on, TORS put on and new map.

Another forum member will be here Friday (Mydownsgirl) and we will ride the snot out of them! I know, you guys want pics:)

#12 ·
I hear ya, I loved my Bonnie, I love the Sprint, I just wish I could have both. I even test rode a Tiger XC, wish I could have one of those too. Don't even get me started on my desire to own a Speed3....

Yesterday, I went for a ride up to Bushkill Falls, came home in the wet, Today, I'm just looking at the rain.....

#13 ·
So many bikes out there. I can only have one, though. I rode a Kawi zx-6r, zx-10r, and the zx-14 a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is wow! Funny, I rode the Ninja 1000 and seriously didn't like it. But after riding those powerful toys, I can still appreciate my Sprint for what it does. And it does most things better than I can really take advantage of anyway.

Reactions: Dive2277
#14 ·
Pushed her outside to bake in the merciless Florida sun while I do a clearance check on the TT's valves.

Side note, only 2 valves on the tight side. All the others fall about middle of the adjustment range. Luckily both on the intake cam so at least I hopefully won't have to pull both cams.

#18 ·
Today returned home after a 3000 km ride with some mates. Had a look up at the Flinders Ranges in South Aus, even tried out some 'off road' work. Lots of red bull dust. Then went down around York Peninsula. Mostly minor roads so we could have some fun with the throttle. Then through riverland over to Renmark. Then today about 4 hours in hissing rain and abt 3 hrs in o'cast but fine conditions. Time now for a warm drink. The poor Sprint looks somewhat grubby. Any volunteers to help clean her up. So that is what I did today, and for the last week.

Cheers, Simmo

#19 ·
Cleaned the bugs off the windshield and added a USB port to the front dash to charge my Iphone while its in its RAM holder (Ball on M8 bolt) - I use MotionX GPSdrive software with great luck so far, seems to work better then my Tomtom, and still supports IPOD functions while allowing a search with full internet search. Also if you know/think your will be in an area where data coverage is questionable, you can pre-download maps before the trip. Here is a review of the USB port - this leaves the Powerlet free for other charging duties on long trips.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/waterproof-motorcycle-usb-port/

#31 ·
Took it to get inspected - ended up needing a new rear brake pad (Triumph parts aint cheap btw). Then came home, cleaned it, removed the primary sprocket cover, and removed 8k miles of junk. It looked like a grease monkey took a huge crap in there.

Not looking forward to the 12k service btw. Although my mechanic tells me that he's never had to adjust the valve clearance at 12k on a 1050. I might just let it go, and do the rest of the work myself.

Or just buy another bike.

#34 ·
I'm laughing over the sprocket crap because I just did the same recently. Grease mixed with coffee grounds is what it looked like. Totally packed in there, too. Worse, it got on the bottom of my flip flops and I tracked it all over the kitchen. So once all was said and done, I had to clean it all off the floor and buy some new flip flops.

#33 ·
And no parts are cheap at the dealership! :eek:

I always inspect my bike myself before taking it in for inspection, that way I don't have to pay for a failure. If it doesn't pass, I fix it myself and then take it in.

Cheers,
-Kit