Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

2061 - 2080 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Last week actually I Took her out for a spin on a track. Must say we enjoyed it both and we will go next week once again.
Hate it I had to remove the TOR exhaust and place the original stock, due to the noise regulations and a max of 95db in static.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last week actually I Took her out for a spin on a track. Must say we enjoyed it both and we will go next week once again.
Hate it I had to remove the TOR exhaust and place the original stock, due to the noise regulations and a max of 95db in static.
Because of noise regs on the street, or the track ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The tor was anyway not approved for road use, so that is no suprise. I ment more the regulations on the track. It is not possible to maintain the TOR on track and stay beyond the 95db static and/or 102db dinamic. I tried even with the dB killer but that had allso minimal effect.

Nevertheless, I think it’s driving very nice and sharp.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Got the Nitron shock back from Gareth at Reactive Suspension near York. Fully serviced. Bike back together and suspension set up again. Just want a nice day to take it out now :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yesterday, for the first time in its short bike life (17years already and almost adult) I tightened the chain. The bike has still the stock chain and yesterday I tightened it for the first time. Still plenty space left for more tightening so I think we will celebrate together 18th birthday.

After that i did some adjusting at the suspension, front and rear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And also yesterday, checked the tires and put them on 2.1 front and 1.6 rear.

Today, first I filled her up (notice the grand tribune)

And after that I took her for a spin once again at the Zandvoort circuit.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Your bike must have very low mileage to have the stock chain on for so long. I'm just guessing of course. Are there any noticeable tight spots along the run of the chain? What do the sprocket teeth look like? I suppose miracles can happen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My bike has around 14-15k km on the gauges. I bought him in 2009 with something like 5-6k km.

Yesterday while adjusting the rear suspension from the right side of the bike, I noticed corrosion on the back side of the chain. That side I never looked so one of this days I’m gonna wash the chain properly and inspect the chain. I didn’t notice any tight spots and measured the chain on multiple spots to mark if there are any worn parts of the chain but allso that was mostly the same value. In the book is proposed to measure the distance between 20 links on the upper side while hanging a weight of 10-20kg on the downside of the chain. I haven’t had time for that yesterday since you have also to remove the chain protector.

I must confess it’s a really nice sport bike and handling very well. And as much I love to ride it I hate taking it to the track cause I would never forgive myself If I would fall with it and damage it. I have non protection on it and is completely stock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sprocket teeth

Front, like 2 years ago and perhaps 1-2k km less then now

Rear, like last year when I washed it. I practice not to wash it too often. I think it’s much better when it’s more greasy then when it’s clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your bike must have very low mileage to have the stock chain on for so long. I'm just guessing of course. Are there any noticeable tight spots along the run of the chain? What do the sprocket teeth look like? I suppose miracles can happen.
Hallelujah!
I too have a miracle.
My lovely ‘Tornado Red’ T595 that I ordered in February 1997 is still running original chain and sprockets.
Admittedly, it only has an indicated 10,000 klms on it (and with 10% speedo error it’s actually a real 9k klms). And has been ridden in quite the docile manner. .

John Stein- of “CYCLE Magazine”- once said of his 74 or 75 Ducati Sport that for each year he owned it he dropped his rev limit another 1000rpm in deference to the bike’s age.
He also went on to say that he‘d be in trouble shortly because he wouldn’t even be charging the battery. ( as much as any 70s Ducati could charge a battery).
Thankfully, i have Optimate4 or CTEK chargers to do that for me.

Probably not the”correct” type of owner for this style of bike even then: but when I saw one in the flesh in I just went ga-ga over the looks and style. I thought it was beautiful. Honestly, it was like an epiphany.

The longer I’ve owned it, the harder and harder it became to part with it. And now it has tenure.
But that’s true of all my bikes. I tend to make emotional attachments to them.
Whether I ride them or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yesterday, for the first time in its short bike life (17years already and almost adult) I tightened the chain. The bike has still the stock chain and yesterday I tightened it for the first time. Still plenty space left for more tightening so I think we will celebrate together 18th birthday.

After that i did some adjusting at the suspension, front and rear.

I’ve used that stupid Triumph eccentric adjuster tool just twice! Took my knuckles some time to recover from the scraping they got. Happily I actually learned from this- -.
I discovered some people make longer ones and from stainless steel.
As luck would have it, some guy makes them locally. Cost me $39.99 AUD incl. postage.
Its almost a contradiction- only 2 chain adjustments in my ownership; so this tool is almost superfluous.
But I’m ready for the third.
77DDAF7D-9899-425C-BD15-D41557A5E8E3.jpeg

I labelled it so the kids will know what it’s for. Eventually.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When you say wash, do you mean with water? Or, paraffin?
I sprayed it with a special chain cleaner, I believe it was also a s100 product and then with a brush a little tlc. Rinse with water, make a photo, and spray it in again with a proper amount of chainlube.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I’ve used that stupid Triumph eccentric adjuster tool just twice! Took my knuckles some time to recover from the scraping they got. Happily I actually learned from this- -.
I discovered some people make longer ones and from stainless steel.
As luck would have it, some guy makes them locally. Cost me $39.99 AUD incl. postage.
Its almost a contradiction- only 2 chain adjustments in my ownership; so this tool is almost superfluous.
But I’m ready for the third.
View attachment 731542

I labelled it so the kids will know what it’s for. Eventually.
It is indeed a pain In the ass to get that tool on a decent way on the excentric and mostly to keep it on it while tightening. Then I found the other part of the tool which you can use to extend the tool and on that way you need less force and can tighten more controlled and less injuries :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah but. The bugger still sips off; or it feels weird like it has a hinge in the middle. Like it’s loose.

I reckon it’s a safe bet noTriumph engineer ever used one to do a chain adjustment.
On anything!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today I put new thicker shims in third cylinder followers. Did not find it easy to put the cams back. I did succeed after a lot of struggle but when I measured the clearance it was too tight! I misunderstood my own notes when I bought new shims! :-( Now I have to wait until monday when the shop opens so I can buy new shims..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rode her up to Pittsburgh to the MotoAmerica race this weekend.
Racing was really good for the most part !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Today I put new thicker shims in third cylinder followers. Did not find it easy to put the cams back. I did succeed after a lot of struggle but when I measured the clearance it was too tight! I misunderstood my own notes when I bought new shims! :-( Now I have to wait until monday when the shop opens so I can buy new shims..
Sometimes it takes a few rotations for the shims to settle properly. I recommend you crank the engine over a good ten times and remeasure before replacing the shims again. Also, do make sure the cam lobes are in the same position each time you measure to get consistent measurements.

2061 - 2080 of 2080 Posts