Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
4761 - 4780 of 4793 Posts

·
Registered
2018 T120 & 2000 Ducati Monster 900
289 Posts
Today she goes into hibernation (snow in the forecast) until late March early April.
Bought bike Jan 2019 took delivery in March 2019,
Back surgery in Jan 2020, so no riding until fall of 2020 and then only a month
All the mods to date -
Added a rack and mount for my Givi tail trunk including tail and brake lights on the trunk.
Added a GPS mount with hard wiring
Added air horns
Added a windscreen
Decated and desnorkled
Changed to a 42 tooth rear sprocket
Upated to latest software (TuneECU & OBDLX) upped the rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I bought a Triumph Comfort Seat for my T120, then rode 230 miles up state to a football game. Then turned around and rode back home.
Watch Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge

That seat is worth every penny.
I couldn’t let the opportunity go to waste, so last night in the middle innings of Game 5, 2021 World Series, I took off and put another 74 miles on to call it a 600 mile weekend.
Watch Speedometer Gauge Analog watch Amber

I’m over 8000 miles now after 10 months of ownership. She’s a good horse.
Font Parallel Screenshot Slope Circle

If my wore out 2004 Speedmaster was still healthy I would still be splitting time between the two. I do miss wringing that 790 out on the road. I’ll rebuild that motor one day…in the meantime she only gets out a couple times a month and is no longer worthy of highway use, but still makes me smile.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Installed a chrome cam cover on my T100. I checked the valve clearances while I had it apart even though I have less than 4000 miles on it (3846). I found all of the intake valve clearances in spec at .003", and all of the exhaust valves in spec at .006" except for the #2 cylinder inner exhaust valve which was at .005" I changed the shim on that one to bring it to .006" like the rest of the exhaust valves. I plan on installing the TEC cam next spring when the bike goes out of warrranty, so I'll be checking the clearances again at that time.
You'll like the TEC cam - they good!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I recently went from a Scrambler 1200XE to the Bonneville T120 Black and am thoroughly smitten. Of course, then I threw a check engine light because I replaced the clutch lever and didn’t put the stupid clutch safety switch tab on it.

·
Registered
2016 CUP
31 Posts
Riding season probably over here in Sweden so time to do some mods!
Never liked the rear brake caliber hanging below the axle, both visually wrong and difficult to keep it clean.
So Motone relocation kit was the solution.
Bit of a hassle but doable W/O removing the swing. Just good cleaning before changing the brake line.
The Motone kit comes with a new brake line all the way to ABS unit.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

Difficult to bleed when the nipple is not in the highest point, bleeding like this helps.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Took about 3 hours, now have to get Tuneecu update working to bleed the ABS.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

·
Registered
2019 T120 Diamond
171 Posts
Took me two days, but I completed three jobs that I've been prepped for for a while, but couldn't get organised enough to do until now. The first two were to get rid of the OME Pirellis and do an OUTEX tubeless conversion. The Outex job was what I expected in terms of difficulty and time so anyone who knows which end of a screwdriver to hold can do it 😬. Just take your time and follow the instructions that come with the kit, or watch some of the multitude of YouTube videos. My main reason for the change was to be able to plug a hole and get home if I pick up another TEC screw in my rear tyre. I went for AVON Spirit ST's, which were available here in AUS, and came with good recommendations on this site and others, and also came at a reasonable price. Shout out to Essendon Motorcycles in Keilor Road, Airport West, who took the old tyres off and fitted and balanced the new ones; nice people to deal with and very accomodating.

The next job was changing the gearing again. Like many of us who ride mainly in the city I found the stock gearing way too high; having to drop down to first at any right angled corner can't be good for the gearbox IMO. Also our heavily policed speed limits meant I was changing up and down the box too often. When I had had my T120 for a couple of months I changed the front sprocket from 17 to a 16 tooth ( stock on a Thruxton); this lowered the gearing by 6.3% with the stock rear sprocket, which was a substantial improvement. Today I put a 40 tooth sprocket on the rear and put the 17 tooth one back on the front which lowers the gearing a further 2% (ish) to 8.13%. [See the table below. Column 2 is the final drive ratio.]

I have only ridden the bike with the above changes for about 20 kilometres, but the difference is significant. First and most obviously the Avons transform the bike; no hint of tram-lining, a much more controlled and confidence-inspiring turn in, and a much lighter-feeling ride altogether. I wish I'd done it earlier and would advise anyone to junk the Pirellis at the earliest opportunity. Secondly the gearing changes seem to work well, but we'll have to wait until I have put more time in on the bike. Here in Victoria we have a heavily policed series of speed limits, from 40 to 80 kph in urban areas. From my brief shake down ride it seem that I can spend most of my time in one gear or another with the revs between 2000 and 2500 and stay within the legal limits. Fifth is a more useable gear showing 2500 rpm at 80kph, and sixth has about 3000 at 100kph, the highway limit for 90% of out-of-town Victoria. I don't think my fuel use will climb much, if at all, in town, but will go up a bit on the highway, but that's no big deal if I can keep the revs and gear changes in their sweet spots while in town.

Font Rectangle Circle Number Magenta

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
366 Posts
Went for a nice ride yesterday... 70-beautiful degrees (F) on November 18? Can't beat that with a stick. ;)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Somewhere in North Jersey...

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC
271 Posts
Well yesterday I went from Livorno to Pisa, then popped over to Maranello via Passo delle Radici in the Apennines to see the Ferrari factory, then once I was leaving Maranello, figured it was only 30 or so km to Bologna so went to the Ducati factory. After that it was back roads to Treviso north of Venice. Today was back home through the Dolomites, over the Felbertauernstraße and Pass Thurn down through Kitzbühel, then through the delights of Oberbayern and home for a cup of tea.
Yo Bobbo...
Bah! Humbug! <not jealous> That's all I've got to say on the matter..... </so not jealous!>
The keys to my bro's apartment in Tuscany have been burning a hole in my pocket for far too long now - really, really must get back to tussling with those Tuscan thoroughfares.
Così geloso...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
This thread has been going strong since the month I took delivery of my then-new 2016 T120!

The bike is stock today other than a TEC X-pipe de-cat and replacing the Sunstar front brake discs with the floating discs of the T100. These discs shaved 4.4 lbs. of un sprung weight from the bike. The original Pirelli tires lasted until almost 10,000 miles, with the front tire wearing out first. The new Avon Roadrider II tires are great.

The pic was taken at delivery. Ride on, brothers!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

4761 - 4780 of 4793 Posts