Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
4741 - 4760 of 4793 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Thruxton R, 2019 Scrambler 1200 XE
90 Posts
Fitted a DNA air filter all the way from Greece, with a claim of 23.65% higher air flow. Then went on a ride with my local Christian Motorcycle Association group (at speed limit speeds) and returned imperial 79 mpg!!! Never achieved that level of economy from any bike in the past, 37 tooth rear sprocket, no cat, larger diameter free flow baffles in the stock mufflers, and a very happy bike it would seem. Trip computer showed an average of 3.5 L/100km, after 196.4 km needed 6.99 litres to top up.

·
Registered
2020 t120
456 Posts
Took a ride today to a cycle gear store to get a pair of heated gloves. Found a pair I can get my hand in/out without to much of a struggle. I still cant figure out why the inner liner isnt stitched in place, one of life's mysteries I guess. Decided to get the jacket liner to.
Got home and connected the power leads. Checked the liner and it warms up nicely. Grabbed my gear and went for a ride, the liner works very well. Hopefully the gloves keep my fingertips from freezing. The hand warmers on the bike work great at keeping my hands warm, but my fingertips get that wind.
Tomorrow morning is going to be a good test, supposed to be 40* F on the ride to work. With any luck I'll arrive warm and toasty, lol.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Weather cleared up yesterday so took a ride out to a classic car and bike meet at the local pub (The Bell Inn , Aldworth. CAMRA National pub of the year twice now)
Good turnout for this late in the year and dodgy weather. Always a wide range of vehicles, this time even a couple of scale model steam engines and they were steamed up and running.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Cloud Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Learned something new about my Thruxton, If you press the i button with the bike switched OFF the clock is shown on the display for about 5 secs to show the time, if I've needed a time check whilst parked up somewhere I've been switching the bike on like a chump.:rolleyes:
Apologies if this is a well known feature that everybody already knows, couldn't see it in the manual though.

Unfortunately discovered this while cleaning and putting the bikes away for the winter, that's me done for 4-5 months now, me or the bikes just don't enjoy winter riding and with the price of petrol on top of everything else I'd rather save it for the summer. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got new racks (Hepco & Becker) yesterday, so I spent the day installing them.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hand tool Tire Tread

Off with the old...

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting

... And on with the new!

Today, I finished by modifying the bench seat so it could latch properly (like it should have been designed to by Triumph, FFS).
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Seat on, top case installed, ready to ride again!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Watch Automotive design

Seat modification: bolt clearances carved, dremeled, & cut out.

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '14 Thruxton, '17 Thruxton R, '12 Street Triple R, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
23,033 Posts
Heaps of life left in that tire. I don’t know what you’re on about. 😁

Reactions: jannerman

·
Registered
114 Posts
???? Hmmm….Anyway,...You're set for luggage. Now…about that tire.
Ye gods, this is the "what did you do with your water cooled twin" thread, isn't it? It's a motorcycle forum, not a medical forum.
Moving on.

About that tire:
It's the original set, almost 2 years old under my ownership. That's a year too long for tires for me, but I stayed the hell home last year. There's still some tread left before I hit the wear bars, but it's finally getting close to new tires time.

I'm not letting the bike's annual service be a timestamp instead of a mileage service, so I'm working on that 10k mile odometer reading. I started October with 5450 miles on the clock. After today's ride to collect a National Parks Passport cancellation stamp, I'm ending October with 7258 miles on the odo.
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Light Gauge Odometer

Today was a ride from Winston-Salem to the BlueRidge Music Center in Virginia, down the Parkway to Blowing Rock, NC, then on hwy 321 to Hickory, hwy 70 to Salisbury, then back to Winston...roughly 280 miles.
This month also had a 300 mile Virginia ride shadowing a picture tag game to get the maiden out-of-state voyage logged (I suck at picking new tags, hence just shadowing the tag at the time), a 200-some mile run to the mountains for leaf pictures, and a 600 mile test day ride to Cape Hatteras to see how I handled a day of almost all interstate. (Did not like.)
That tire just saw 1808 miles in a month. What did you do with your water-cooled twin? 😉

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T100
62 Posts
Installed a chrome cam cover on my T100. I checked the valve clearances while I had it apart even though I have less than 4000 miles on it (3846). I found all of the intake valve clearances in spec at .003", and all of the exhaust valves in spec at .006" except for the #2 cylinder inner exhaust valve which was at .005" I changed the shim on that one to bring it to .006" like the rest of the exhaust valves. I plan on installing the TEC cam next spring when the bike goes out of warrranty, so I'll be checking the clearances again at that time.

4741 - 4760 of 4793 Posts