4721 - 4740 of 4793 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Outdoor shoe Sports equipment Walking shoe Material property Jewel case
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Experimented with disguising the tank seam. Thanks to tsmguy for the idea of using this 3M tape. TBH I'm not sure if I like it better with the tape; for one thing on first rainy day half ass attempt I wasn't able to get it as smooth as I would like around the neck. And I don't even want to admit how much I paid for a roll of tape. Curious to know what others think of the look at a glance.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
View attachment 766684 View attachment 766685 View attachment 766686 View attachment 766687

Experimented with disguising the tank seam. Thanks to tsmguy for the idea of using this 3M tape. TBH I'm not sure if I like it better with the tape; for one thing on first rainy day half ass attempt I wasn't able to get it as smooth as I would like around the neck. And I don't even want to admit how much I paid for a roll of tape. Curious to know what others think of the look at a glance.
did mine with matt black paint, not sure if your tape is slightly glossy or the lighting angle doesn't do it any favours but It works well on my bike, I think the fairing helps the effect as well, partially hiding the front of the tank.
The very prominent weld under the paint made the seam stand out even more.
Its only a subtle difference but as with many of the small changes Ive made its really noticeable when I park next to a totally standard bike
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Now, what's going on with the unfinished handlebar ends there?
Have to remove the bar end mirrors to get it in the house during the winter 😨

Reactions: jannerman

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
did mine with matt black paint, not sure if your tape is slightly glossy or the lighting angle doesn't do it any favours but It works well on my bike, I think the fairing helps the effect as well, partially hiding the front of the tank.
The very prominent weld under the paint made the seam stand out even more.
Its only a subtle difference but as with many of the small changes Ive made its really noticeable when I park next to a totally standard bike
View attachment 766703
Looks professional, well done! How did you apply the matte black paint? Did you take the tank off, sand the seam, mask it and spray it? Or were you able to achieve that with a paint brush? The prominent weld you mentioned is still visible through the tape, did it come through the paint as well? And yes, the 3M tape is semi-gloss and reflected the garage lights in an unflattering way. It just doesn't look as good, and as unobtrusive as whatever you did. In my case I can just peel it off and be the not so proud owner of a 150 feet of striping tape that cost me a buck a foot.

Reactions: CafRacer

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Looks professional, well done! How did you apply the matte black paint? Did you take the tank off, sand the seam, mask it and spray it? Or were you able to achieve that with a paint brush? The prominent weld you mentioned is still visible through the tape, did it come through the paint as well? And yes, the 3M tape is semi-gloss and reflected the garage lights in an unflattering way. It just doesn't look as good, and as unobtrusive as whatever you did. In my case I can just peel it off and be the not so proud owner of a 150 feet of striping tape that cost me a buck a foot.
To be fair I purposely chose a flattering picture, as you said the effectiveness depends on the lighting and viewing angle, when its properly (or even partially) hidden in the shadow between the tank & engine its disguised enough to fool the brain into seeing it as a seamless tank.
I tested it initially with black insulation tape which worked well enough to convince me to try the paint, I already had the tank off to do the valve clearances but I think it would be easy enough with it in place. Didn't sand or harm the original paint, just cleaned with acetone, happened to have some matte black brush on paint so used that by hand, I just followed the natural line of the tank, the neatness of the top paint line isn't that critical as its hidden under the corner of the tank unless you're on your hands & knees looking up.
I only painted the bottom edge as that's were its effective, didn't go around the front seam as that would make it more prominent I think, not sure if you've done the same, luckily were the painted seam finishes is hidden behind the fairing on mine.
I may give it another coat this winter as I left a run in the middle where the brush stoke ended and the weld pattern does still show through in the wrong light, but they obviously made no attempt to grind it flat and you'd struggle to cover it even with multiple paint layers. The only thing that would cover the weld pattern would be some quite thick vinyl wrap, but as you've found a satin or even "matte" finish vinyl will still be more glossy than matte black paint.
Maybe try viewing yours outside in more natural light (at different angles) before deciding anything, also don't forget you're focusing on the seam because you've just done the mod, but nobody else will be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you find it runs hotter now? It feels like mine runs pretty hot as it is, my right leg is on fire in traffic.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
I didnt get a chance to ride for too long after I install it. Just took it out for a quick spin, rode for about 30 or so minutes, but I did not notice any difference. Perhaps because it has been a bit cooler around here. I will post if I notice any difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the TEC tail tidy on. A little annoyed that this one didnt ship with the connectors to use aftermarket signals (the product page says the are supposed to ship with the kit), as these won't be staying once I find something I like.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Also installed the XE riser spacers on my XC which allows me to turn full lock and not have my flipped mirrors hit the gas cap.

Automotive tire Steering part Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Carbon

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,633 Posts
Just a thought came through my head looking at your setup, u might think it’s a stupid idea but I will throw it out there. I think bar end style mirrors that are on the Thruxton would work and look good on your Scrambler, it would eliminate that long stock mirror bar which I imagine must have some vibration that causes distortion, but I am just guessing, I could b wrong. The mirror placement is about the same spot…FTG
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a thought came through my head looking at your setup, u might think it’s a stupid idea but I will throw it out there. I think bar end style mirrors that are on the Thruxton would work and look good on your Scrambler, it would eliminate that long stock mirror bar which I imagine must have some vibration that causes distortion, but I am just guessing, I could b wrong. The mirror placement is about the same spot…FTG View attachment 766966 View attachment 766967
Probably, but the advantage to these is... FREE!

Besides the $7 for the little riser bushings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finished the suspension upgrades on the Speed Twin I did the Nitron fork cartridges earlier this year now the rear is done with Nitron NTR R1 shocks. Any sharp bumps and road irregularities that required the suspension to react quickly would upset the bike and send a jolt through the bars now I don't notice these as the suspension is able to react it just works with no drama.

I think I'm almost done with the modifications :ROFLMAO:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting White

4721 - 4740 of 4793 Posts