Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

4381 - 4400 of 4426 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
132 Posts
I like the windscreen - who is it made by?
Also on the rims, would you go tubeless? I'm planning to the next time I install new tires (probably 2 years or so).

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
135 Posts
Rode in the cold and just made the route up but enjoyed it! Bike felt superb!
Looks like beautiful country, and a nice ride! (nice when the bike feels right, too!) And very cool route map you pasted. it’s fun to see others’ routes. I’d like to do that, and build up my own file based on distances. What program (google maps?) did you use to plot your route - if you don’t mind me asking? (I do know how to capture a screen shot). It’s got a nice clean look. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks @speedmaster2019 I didn't plot a route but just rely on Google being the eye in the sky so to speak when going out, it doesn't plot very accurately but it gives a good visual idea as to where you've been and as you say how many miles you've done, I usually have a tom-tom rider on the bike for plotted routes but might start using viewranger when following others as it will give a more accurate ridden route plot.
If you've got Google maps then you can go thorough your timeline to see you're rides etc. But if you're super organised to screenshot and file your routes then you won't have to try remember the exact dates you went riding I guess!

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
132 Posts
As another equipment note, I have the VIGO Smart Track by STS which records the route you take, and even has a "share" feature you can use to mail it to a friend. It has an app you install on your phone and uses GPS to monitor the bike's location. It and alerts you if the bike moves without you (or more precisely, without your phone) by comparing the phone's GPS location with the one the built-in GPS in the VIGO provides. The original VIGO is being replaced by the VIGO 2 as the original had a few issues, like false alerts and battery drain when not riding, but I found them to be minor nuisances. However, they were still nuisances, so when STS offered an upgrade for VIGO 1 owners to get the improved VIGO 2 unit for under $30 I jumped at it. Still waiting for delivery as they come from Slovenia and customs can take a while in the Covid era. I like that the company was started by a group of avid motorcyclists and have their other products too - the Smart Turn module that cancels the turn signals automatically once the turn has been completed (using the built-in GPS), or after 15 seconds if you don't actually make a turn. The other is the Smart Brake Module that turns on your brake light when you go into engine braking mode. You have a choice of steady on on flashing. In deference to those behind me I chose steady - if I need the flashing I'll do it manually. Having been tail ended at a stoplight and having my T120 totaled was a big impetus in buying the Smart brake module. I was shaken up but unhurt, and replaced the T120 with another one a month later. I'm anxiously awaiting my new VIGO 2 unit as it is pretty neat to be able to track your bike's whereabouts from hundreds or even thousands of miles away! And the route tracking is nice too. It has other features like notifying your contact of choice if the unit senses the bike has been in an accident. Thankfully I am not able to report on that feature (my accident was before I had VIGO). I'm going to stop before I sound like a paid advertisement! Stay safe my friends.

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
135 Posts
As another equipment note, I have the VIGO Smart Track by STS which records the route you take, and even has a "share" feature you can use to mail it to a friend. It has an app you install on your phone and uses GPS to monitor the bike's location. It and alerts you if the bike moves without you (or more precisely, without your phone) by comparing the phone's GPS location with the one the built-in GPS in the VIGO provides. The original VIGO is being replaced by the VIGO 2 as the original had a few issues, like false alerts and battery drain when not riding, but I found them to be minor nuisances. However, they were still nuisances, so when STS offered an upgrade for VIGO 1 owners to get the improved VIGO 2 unit for under $30 I jumped at it. Still waiting for delivery as they come from Slovenia and customs can take a while in the Covid era. I like that the company was started by a group of avid motorcyclists and have their other products too - the Smart Turn module that cancels the turn signals automatically once the turn has been completed (using the built-in GPS), or after 15 seconds if you don't actually make a turn. The other is the Smart Brake Module that turns on your brake light when you go into engine braking mode. You have a choice of steady on on flashing. In deference to those behind me I chose steady - if I need the flashing I'll do it manually. Having been tail ended at a stoplight and having my T120 totaled was a big impetus in buying the Smart brake module. I was shaken up but unhurt, and replaced the T120 with another one a month later. I'm anxiously awaiting my new VIGO 2 unit as it is pretty neat to be able to track your bike's whereabouts from hundreds or even thousands of miles away! And the route tracking is nice too. It has other features like notifying your contact of choice if the unit senses the bike has been in an accident. Thankfully I am not able to report on that feature (my accident was before I had VIGO). I'm going to stop before I sound like a paid advertisement! Stay safe my friends.
Tremendous info, thanks for that! The Smart Turn feature sounds great, I’m always concerned about leaving a blinker on. And the Smart Brake module sounds awesome; I saw on here someone mentioning about cars not too quick on the uptake re bikes slowing down without brake lights. I never really thought about that. (Ignorance is bliss, haha.) So now I consciously try and tap my brakes when slowing down. But that’s just one more thing to have to worry about... especially as I get on in years. (61). And since I had never practiced that before, it does not come naturally to me. Smart Brake is for me, for sure. thanks again for all that info, great stuff!(y)

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's the yearly subscription for? Does it not work without the subscription? Can I insert my own SIM card instead?
It comes with the first year included, and that's for access to the app. And your cell provider too I believe. Not sure what the annual fee is, but I seem to remember about $20 or so.

The SIM card is in the VIGO unit itself which is about 3" long x 2" wide x 1/2" thick. You have to mount it so there is no metal directly above it. And it can't be directly under the rider either as your body would interfere with the signal. On my T120 I put it on top of the rear fender (with foam adhesive tape and a cable tie) towards the rear of the seat. As the seat pan is plastic that works ok. And I don't ride with a passenger so no issue there.

·
Registered
Scrambler 1200XC - 2019
8 Posts
The part number I used is A9828039.
I had to pad it out with a washer to make it sit correctly above the clamp.
The mount is currently on sale at Bills Smith's in the UK for a bargain £11.65/$16.20: Triumph Gps Mount Kit | A9828039_2016STREETTRIPLERABS

Edit: the important dimension is the distance between the clamp bolts which is 40 mm.
Well, I finally got around to following your lead and fitted the Triumph GPS bracket to my Scrambler. I looks a heck of a lot better than the RAM mount I used in the first place. The only modification required was to slightly shorten the bolts supplied with the kit (reduced by 5mm).

And a couple of gratuitous shots of the bike. :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, I finally got around to following your lead and fitted the Triumph GPS bracket to my Scrambler. I looks a heck of a lot better than the RAM mount I used in the first place. The only modification required was to slightly shorten the bolts supplied with the kit (reduced by 5mm).

That's really neat - shame they don't have the same for the Street Scrambler

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
135 Posts
Spring has sprung around these parts (northern New Jersey, USA), so I got out on my usual two-hour loop. Beautiful weather... put away the snow blower... fingers crossed no freak April snowstorm.

Here's my morning stop... a little Mountain Dew, the New York Daily News (most entertaining), and a great view of Greenwood Lake, NY. That's my Speedmaster there.

But this was my biggest achievement (hope FTG sees this, haha):

I spent the past six months waiting for the good weather to try and get the damn stickers off my gas tank. I bought the bike new, but it was a leftover, so it was technically at least six months old when I bought it. I tried to peel the stickers off when I got the bike (last May), but the stickers seemed as if they were melted onto the tank! So I thought I could live with them. But I couldn't - they drove me crazy every time I got on the bike, or even looked at it. Finally got some good weather for a few days. I wanted to have the tank warmed up from the sun for a little bit, in order to help "soften" the adhesive on the stickers and make them easier to peel off. I got out the hair dryer to help the process, and lo and behold, I was able to peel the damn stickers off, and also get the adhesive off which remained on the tank. It looks like a new bike to me!

Kind of a repeat here... loving the quilted leather seat. And of course had to put on the matching pillion and backrest, with luggage rack and sissy bar. Cheers, happy trails!

·
Registered
Scrambler 1200XC - 2019
8 Posts
That's really neat - shame they don't have the same for the Street Scrambler
The bracket is actually intended for the Street Triple so it was a bit of a leap in the dark to see if it fitted the Scrambler 1200. Other than the bolts being slightly too long, it was fine. The important measurement is the 40mm hole centres for the two bolts and then (obviously) the shape of the bar clamp. On the Scrambler 1200 the bracket sits above the clamp. I've no idea if that's how it fits on the Street Triple but it looks ok on my bike. For the money, it was well worth the risk of trying to make it fit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Spring has sprung around these parts (northern New Jersey, USA), so I got out on my usual two-hour loop....
Good times!

Going the other way down under, but autumn is often the best time of year for riding here. so should still have a few weeks before the rainy season kicks in :)

Good work on the stickers - that was the very first thing I did when I got the new bike home too!

Enjoy

·
Registered
588 Posts
New shoes installed.
Was pretty hard to find to find one's that fits stock sizes so went with the Pirelli MT60RS 110/80/18 and 160/60/17

Looks good.. let see how the wife likes it on gravel roads 😆

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin, 2009 Street Triple
344 Posts
The bracket is actually intended for the Street Triple so it was a bit of a leap in the dark to see if it fitted the Scrambler 1200. Other than the bolts being slightly too long, it was fine. The important measurement is the 40mm hole centres for the two bolts and then (obviously) the shape of the bar clamp. On the Scrambler 1200 the bracket sits above the clamp. I've no idea if that's how it fits on the Street Triple but it looks ok on my bike. For the money, it was well worth the risk of trying to make it fit.
For the current bargain price, it's a no-brainer. For me, it wasn't a leap of faith fitting the mount to my Speed Twin, as I have the same mount on a Street Triple, for which the mount was intended:

It was a simple matter to try out the mount before buying another.
As mentioned, the important measurement is the hole centres at 40mm.
For the Speed Twin, I had to pack out the mount with a washer to raise it slightly to clear the bar clamp.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
631 Posts
WTG Speedy! Look how nice the tank looks now, seats look great too!.... FTG

·
Registered
2020 t120
312 Posts
I received the Halcyon mirrors I ordered yesterday. Was going to mount them asap. But found they sent the wrong adapter. That busted my bubble, waaahhh.
Sent off an email and get to wait again. I may try modifying the wrong mounts this weekend.
On the plus side, the mirrors look amazing, appear very well made.

4381 - 4400 of 4426 Posts