Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

4001 - 4020 of 4022 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used to think bar-end mirrors were just for looks, but now I'm a complete convert. Big plusses - wide location so good view past elbows etc + very short stems so no vibration. Only minus is extra width makes lane-splitting a bit harder (but even then, there's a certain sacrificial advantage - you only risk clipping mirrors instead of hands/handlebars!)
i flipped the factory Speed twin mirrors down and swapped sides. Gives more room for lane filtering because as you turn slightly the go under instead of tilting out. and as they are long the still give you plenty of viewing area.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I used these mirrors from CRG. They're called "Lanesplitters".

They pivot and come in handy when lane splitting. I have nicked car mirrors a couple times without incident. (Except for the guy cussing me out from his car).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fitted a TEC booster plug on my t120 (600 miles)

Wow. noticed the difference immediately - eliminated all the choppiness in 1st and 2nd gear. Where I used to have to modulate the clutch around slow turns, everything is now buttery smooth.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Consider the price of the DNK tune is $200 vs $165 for the booster plugs.... if I had the cables and tuneecu I would have gone this path as well.... but the BP is definitely made a difference to the low throttle snatch.... Wife approved....

did the rear brake pedal adjustment last night... raised it up so wife is no longer tippy toeing the foot petal... more confident using it for slow speed maneuver ... brake still feel spongy though.....

how hard is it to bleed the brakes? not sure if different with ABS
hi Okitoki,
You ever install that British Customs Airbox Kit? It’s still on my Christmas list

·
Registered
405 Posts

Remap done. Just need to put everything together for a test run

·
Registered
274 Posts
You did the remap yourself also? That’s what’s holding back my purchase...on top of the purchase of the airbox kit, I heard it also will cost $150USD for a remap/tune from a local shop. Oops I just realized this is the WC thread.
yea we don’t really want any AIR in our WATER, not god for cooling 😜

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler
228 Posts
I installed the TEC Center Stand for my 2019 Street Scrambler. It seems to function, but there are a few things I'm not quite satisfied with....
  • The main stand had some exposed metal bits (coating wasn't great). I used some of my partner's nail polish to ensure they don't rust.
  • The kit has a mixture of black parts and silver bits. Given that Triumph frames are black, things like the spring, rubber stop mounting arm, and all the nuts and bolts should have been black as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Installed some Ohlins bits on my Speed Twin. Factory suspension is C-R-A-P! I went with the dreaded Nix 22 cartridges, all you need is a spacer as there is no "oil lock sleeve" on the Speed Twin. The dimensions for the spacer are 40mm in length, 32.9mm outside diameter and 23.8 inside diameter. That matches the dimensions of the top out spring and base of the cartridge, I had it made out of aluminum and it worked great. I guess you can make one out of PVC, the factory preload spacers are plastic.

PXL_20201117_011622593.jpg

As for the stock internals... On my 2020 Speed Twin the right side fork, throttle side, has a cartridge and the other one just has a damper rod. Haven't bothered to take pictures of them, but the cartridge is really cheaply made and non rebuildable. It's the kind of cheap internals I'd expect from cheaper bikes, in fact I've seen better fork internals on cheaper bikes.

Interestingly I can't find that "oil lock sleeve" on the Thruxton parts diagram. It should be positioned somewhere between the top out spring and the inner tube, clearly both inner tubes are the same for both forks, but the bottom of the cartridge is longer than the damper rod; that sleeve makes up for the difference.

1606060592168.png

·
Registered
436 Posts
Installed some Ohlins bits on my Speed Twin. Factory suspension is C-R-A-P!
Awww c'mon, it's not that bad! I bought the Speed Twin expecting to have to change the suspension, but pleasantly surprised by the stock and now not inclined to bother...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Installed some Ohlins bits on my Speed Twin. Factory suspension is C-R-A-P! I went with the dreaded Nix 22 cartridges, all you need is a spacer as there is no "oil lock sleeve" on the Speed Twin. The dimensions for the spacer are 40mm in length, 32.9mm outside diameter and 23.8 inside diameter. That matches the dimensions of the top out spring and base of the cartridge, I had it made out of aluminum and it worked great. I guess you can make one out of PVC, the factory preload spacers are plastic.

View attachment 740974

As for the stock internals... On my 2020 Speed Twin the right side fork, throttle side, has a cartridge and the other one just has a damper rod. Haven't bothered to take pictures of them, but the cartridge is really cheaply made and non rebuildable. It's the kind of cheap internals I'd expect from cheaper bikes, in fact I've seen better fork internals on cheaper bikes.

Interestingly I can't find that "oil lock sleeve" on the Thruxton parts diagram. It should be positioned somewhere between the top out spring and the inner tube, clearly both inner tubes are the same for both forks, but the bottom of the cartridge is longer than the damper rod; that sleeve makes up for the difference.

View attachment 740976
I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised by the ohlins. I had those installed in my tiger 800 which also suffers from crap suspension. I rode a buddies tiger 800 back to back with my modified tiger and it was night and day. Ohlins did the swap for me as I sent them the forks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awww c'mon, it's not that bad! I bought the Speed Twin expecting to have to change the suspension, but pleasantly surprised by the stock and now not inclined to bother...
How much do you weight? I can't find the spring rates for the shocks, but the forks have 0.7 kg/mm springs; that's good for a very light rider, around 50kg and I'm 90kg. You can get away with those springs if you're lighter than me and/or not riding it "spiritedly".

I was running very wide on corners, handling felt very lazy and the suspension was bottoming out more often than not. That lead to many puker moments when I could not tighten the line or when the pavement was not perfectly smooth while braking hard for a corner entry, not to mention my back was sore from all the times the rear suspension bottomed out. Once I finally got around to measuring the sag I realized the stock shocks and fork springs would not do the job, I didn't take notes because the sag was ridiculous, I think it was around half the shock travel or something like that.

I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised by the ohlins. I had those installed in my tiger 800 which also suffers from crap suspension. I rode a buddies tiger 800 back to back with my modified tiger and it was night and day. Ohlins did the swap for me as I sent them the forks.
I love how it handles now. Not really a surprise as I've upgraded the suspension on several bikes now. It all started when I got a killer deal on suspension for my Versys 650, an almost new AK-20 kit and Penske 8983 for half price. Before that I could never justify to myself the cost of aftermarket suspension bits, but that deal was too good to pass it up, and once I had experienced the night and day difference it can make I can no longer justify to myself riding with crap suspension. Not that I'm upgrading it on every single bike, for example the stock bits on the GSX-R 600 and 750 were fine for my weight and use, but if the suspension is as far off for your weight and use, like on the Speed Twin, it can become a safety hazard.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How much do you weight? I can't find the spring rates for the shocks, but the forks have 0.7 kg/mm springs; that's good for a very light rider, around 50kg and I'm 90kg. You can get away with those springs if you're lighter than me and/or not riding it "spiritedly".
I was running very wide on corners, handling felt very lazy and the suspension was bottoming out more often than not. That lead to many puker moments when I could not tighten the line or when the pavement was not perfectly smooth while braking hard for a corner entry, not to mention my back was sore from all the times the rear suspension bottomed out. Once I finally got around to measuring the sag I realized the stock shocks and fork springs would not do the job, I didn't take notes because the sag was ridiculous, I think it was around half the shock travel or something like that.
I love how it handles now. Not really a surprise as I've upgraded the suspension on several bikes now. It all started when I got a killer deal on suspension for my Versys 650, an almost new AK-20 kit and Penske 8983 for half price. Before that I could never justify to myself the cost of aftermarket suspension bits, but that deal was too good to pass it up, and once I had experienced the night and day difference it can make I can no longer justify to myself riding with crap suspension. Not that I'm upgrading it on every single bike, for example the stock bits on the GSX-R 600 and 750 were fine for my weight and use, but if the suspension is as far off for your weight and use, like on the Speed Twin, it can become a safety hazard.
I weigh 95 and have never bottom my suspension out. Iv had the pegs scraping in corners at speed. Never felt like I was going to wash out or couldn’t turn it in. And while I’m no Thierry Van Den Bosch, I used to race my aprilia sxv 550 super mortard with some solid results. Could it be better, for sure but what can’t be improved theses days with more money And swapping parts. The initial dive in on braking is annoying but iv gotten use to working with it. I will most likely fit some cartridges once I can decide which ones I want but this is will be more for tunability as I like to fiddle and ATM it has none.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess the roads in Mexico are much worse than those in Australia. I should have added that the suspension bottomed out on potholes or gigantic patches over potholes. Unfortunately even if I head to the better roads rough roads are a reality that can't be avoided around here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I guess the roads in Mexico are much worse than those in Australia. I should have added that the suspension bottomed out on potholes or gigantic patches over potholes. Unfortunately even if I head to the better roads rough roads are a reality that can't be avoided around here.
‘that will do it. 😃 roads here aren’t the worst in world but some places are pretty ordinary.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I weigh 95 and have never bottom my suspension out. Iv had the pegs scraping in corners at speed. Never felt like I was going to wash out or couldn’t turn it in. And while I’m no Thierry Van Den Bosch, I used to race my aprilia sxv 550 super mortard with some solid results. Could it be better, for sure but what can’t be improved theses days with more money And swapping parts. The initial dive in on braking is annoying but iv gotten use to working with it. I will most likely fit some cartridges once I can decide which ones I want but this is will be more for tunability as I like to fiddle and ATM it has none.
That pretty much matches my experience - except I've yet to touch down the pegs! I'm 95kg ready to roll and find the stock set up just fine - it'll keep on the tail of the sports bikes no problem (and actually out-corner them a lot of the time) - only one that lost me was a 690 duke on serious twisties, but I'll forgive the Speed Twin that one. I have hit one or two cracking holes at speed and the bike just shook its head a bit and steadied up fine. Braking dive is there but that is the only real shortcoming I notice.
BTW, SPEED-TWIN-77, what tyres are you running? I am getting to the edge of my Michelins before the pegs touch down...

·
Registered
274 Posts
That pretty much matches my experience - except I've yet to touch down the pegs! I'm 95kg ready to roll and find the stock set up just fine - it'll keep on the tail of the sports bikes no problem (and actually out-corner them a lot of the time) - only one that lost me was a 690 duke on serious twisties, but I'll forgive the Speed Twin that one. I have hit one or two cracking holes at speed and the bike just shook its head a bit and steadied up fine. Braking dive is there but that is the only real shortcoming I notice.
BTW, SPEED-TWIN-77, what tyres are you running? I am getting to the edge of my Michelins before the pegs touch down...
still have the factory Rosso III.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm 5mm to the edge of the Rosso and I've yet to touch the peg feelers, not that I want to either, that's close to the point you should be moving more on top of the bike.

4001 - 4020 of 4022 Posts