Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

3541 - 3560 of 3627 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took it for a test ride after installing Tec progressive springs and preload adjusters. Man, that is a difference. Very positive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Made up and fitted a mount for my (cheap Chinese) Tyre Pressure Monitor. It came with an cheap and ugly plastic handlebar mount so I decided to make this one up out of some 2mm aluminium plate I had lying around. Any one who looks closely will quickly deduce that I am not a metal worker's bootlace, but it passes the five foot test and was quick and easy to do. The only thing I has to buy were a couple of 40mm M6 cap screws to get enough thread into the bar risers. I'm not relying on the accuracy of the device, but it should show any gross changes which will cause a problem. The unit is quite neat and has a magnetic connection for charging via a phone charger.

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

Please don't flame me because of the pressures shown! I had some problems setting the pressures (cold) due to some discrepancies between a couple of gauges I have, and the tyres had not fully cooled down after a 25 kilometre ride when I took the pics. The sensors are the screw on valve cap type and you lose quite a bit of pressure before they seal.
What did surprise me a bit was the increase in pressure after even a few k.'s of suburban riding Ambient temperature is about 12 degrees C. here today and they increased about 2-3 psi after less than 10 kilometres. Then after about 5 km.s of freeway at 100kph they were up 4! I will set them at 36/40 when I get around to it and just keep an eye on the gauge and see what happens on a 35 degree day.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Made up and fitted a mount for my (cheap Chinese) Tyre Pressure Monitor. It came with an cheap and ugly plastic handlebar mount so I decided to make this one up out of some 2mm aluminium plate I had lying around. Any one who looks closely will quickly deduce that I am not a metal worker's bootlace, but it passes the five foot test and was quick and easy to do. The only thing I has to buy were a couple of 40mm M6 cap screws to get enough thread into the bar risers. I'm not relying on the accuracy of the device, but it should show any gross changes which will cause a problem. The unit is quite neat and has a magnetic connection for charging via a phone charger.

View attachment 727849

View attachment 727850

Please don't flame me because of the pressures shown! I had some problems setting the pressures (cold) due to some discrepancies between a couple of gauges I have, and the tyres had not fully cooled down after a 25 kilometre ride when I took the pics. The sensors are the screw on valve cap type and you lose quite a bit of pressure before they seal.
What did surprise me a bit was the increase in pressure after even a few k.'s of suburban riding Ambient temperature is about 12 degrees C. here today and they increased about 2-3 psi after less than 10 kilometres. Then after about 5 km.s of freeway at 100kph they were up 4! I will set them at 36/40 when I get around to it and just keep an eye on the gauge and see what happens on a 35 degree day.
Even though I've gone tubeless on my now, after a really sudden puncture with the tube, I still worry about not recognising a slow puncture until I throw it into the next high speed bend so TPMS is one thing I wouldn't mind adding.
obviously the OEM system would be the best but its expensive and you have to remove your tires to fit the sensors, and I'm not sure they'd even fit them on the Thruxton spoked wheels.
I'd originally discounted aftermarket systems because of the ugly displays and massive sensors on the valve stems but it looks like they've improved a lot and got cheaper at same time.
Your display looks quite neat and you've done a great job with the bracket (y) , I'm already thinking if there's a place I could fit one inside the fairing on my Thruxton, you're right that the absolute accuracy of the readings is not critical, as long as you check it against a known accurate pressure gauge, it's the change in pressure that you're interested in.
How does the alarm work, does the display flash or is it audio as well?

Reactions: Gyp

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even though I've gone tubeless on my now, after a really sudden puncture with the tube, I still worry about not recognising a slow puncture until I throw it into the next high speed bend so TPMS is one thing I wouldn't mind adding.
obviously the OEM system would be the best but its expensive and you have to remove your tires to fit the sensors, and I'm not sure they'd even fit them on the Thruxton spoked wheels.
I'd originally discounted aftermarket systems because of the ugly displays and massive sensors on the valve stems but it looks like they've improved a lot and got cheaper at same time.
Your display looks quite neat and you've done a great job with the bracket (y) , I'm already thinking if there's a place I could fit one inside the fairing on my Thruxton, you're right that the absolute accuracy of the readings is not critical, as long as you check it against a known accurate pressure gauge, it's the change in pressure that you're interested in.
How does the alarm work, does the display flash or is it audio as well?

these Bluetooth to your phone and give you an audible warning. If like most you have your phone on you handle bars you can check when stoped or see when the warning come up.
also work with Apple Watch if you have one. They don’t need anything else but your phone to work and the batteries replaceable. The have a special key to tighten so it’s hard to pinch them quickly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi CR. The device has a beeper that is annoying while the bike isn't going and is inaudible when it is.:unsure:. However the display does flash: today I set the rear at (an indicated) 40 PSI and it started flashing when it reached 44, and because of it's position it was pretty easy to see. I assume it would also flash when the pressure dropped by 4 PSI, which could be a problem in warmer weather.
There are 2 buttons on the side of the display, but because the only instructions that came with the kit are in Chinese I don't know what they do :rolleyes:; perhaps you can change the 'warning' range. I'll experiment when I get a chance, and hopefully I won't cock it up completely.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Since removing the CAT it is a crime Triumph has no reason to make it easy to do.

Paul
Starting my life of crime at 63, I guess. ;)

Bike emissions are not enforced at all in my area, as evidenced by all the deafening 1%ers around here. So no real worries there.

I've only ever removed the emissions devices from some of the dualsports I've had over the years, so I do have mixed feelings about removing the cat from the Speed Twin. I mainly wanted to see if it would tone down some of the horrendous heat coming off the engine. Went out for a 30 mi test ride yesterday, and while the fan does still come on fairly regularly, the engine seems cooler. It also seems to be a bit stronger thru midrange. But then both of those observations could be my imagination. It is louder, and that is not my imagination. With the stock cans, it's not obtrusive, just enough to reinforce my bad ass image.

I think the little Speed is going to be a keeper, so I'll see how the catless version grows on me. If I don't see much benefit, the cat may go back on in the fall.

·
Registered
953 Posts

Bike emissions are not enforced at all in my area, as evidenced by all the deafening 1%ers around here. So no real worries there.

I've only ever removed the emissions devices from some of the dualsports I've had over the years, so I do have mixed feelings about removing the cat from the Speed Twin. I mainly wanted to see if it would tone down some of the horrendous heat coming off the engine. Went out for a 30 mi test ride yesterday, and while the fan does still come on fairly regularly, the engine seems cooler. It also seems to be a bit stronger thru midrange. But then both of those observations could be my imagination. It is louder, and that is not my imagination. With the stock cans, it's not obtrusive, just enough to reinforce my bad ass image.

I think the little Speed is going to be a keeper, so I'll see how the catless version grows on me. If I don't see much benefit, the cat may go back on in the fall.
My only point is that we should not expect Triumph to 'make it easy' for us to remove the CAT in violation of federal emissions law. I was not judging, I too am a violator.

Paul

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
perhaps you can change the 'warning' range. I'll experiment when I get a chance, and hopefully I won't cock it up
That was going to be my next question, if you can change the warning range, obviously you don't want it going off all the time through normal pressure changes while riding.
Had a quick look at mine while I was on it today and it would probably fit behind my clocks, in the gap between the clocks and the top yoke and still be visible.

I don't ride with my phone mounted on the bike so the sensor only option is a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Rock and roll! Having done the cat, it is well worth getting a tune to optimise the fueling and realise the full benefit. A lot of people on the forum are reporting good results with TuneECU. I used a Power Commander (partly because I already had one, partly because I didn't want to do anything irreversible, and partly because my local dyno tuner doesn't use Tune ECU) - either way it just rounds off the job nicely :)

PS -I have always found that bikes generally use less fuel after a decat. The biggest difference to date was on my 350 Bullet, which went from 28 to 38 km/l - and that's after a 10% increase in jet sizes!

PPS - I might feel a bit more concerned about decatting a motorcycle if the rest of the world wasn't trending increasingly to getting around in 2 tonne diesel SUVs (Best selling vehicle in NZ - Ford Ranger)

·
Registered
188 Posts
That was going to be my next question, if you can change the warning range, obviously you don't want it going off all the time through normal pressure changes while riding.
Had a quick look at mine while I was on it today and it would probably fit behind my clocks, in the gap between the clocks and the top yoke and still be visible.

I don't ride with my phone mounted on the bike so the sensor only option is a non-starter for me.
it will vibrate your phone so you feel it but if you already have a system then no point.

·
Registered
391 Posts

these Bluetooth to your phone and give you an audible warning. If like most you have your phone on you handle bars you can check when stoped or see when the warning come up.
also work with Apple Watch if you have one. They don’t need anything else but your phone to work and the batteries replaceable. The have a special key to tighten so it’s hard to pinch them quickly.
I've seen those and like the idea, but I can't reconcile that two sensors and a handlebar mounted display comes in at about £25-£40 whereas two sensors plus an app is about £80.

I've not seen anything to convince me that any of the systems use anything other than dirt cheap sensors knocked out in their thousands by Chinese factories.

Frustratingly, as someone who doesn't want a display on the handlebars but simply wants a reminder to pump the tyres when they've lost a few pounds, the fobo system does look best. Unless I carry the handlebar mounted display in my pocket I suppose.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've seen those and like the idea, but I can't reconcile that two sensors and a handlebar mounted display comes in at about £25-£40 whereas two sensors plus an app is about £80.

I've not seen anything to convince me that any of the systems use anything other than dirt cheap sensors knocked out in their thousands by Chinese factories.

Frustratingly, as someone who doesn't want a display on the handlebars but simply wants a reminder to pump the tyres when they've lost a few pounds, the fobo system does look best. Unless I carry the handlebar mounted display in my pocket I suppose.
what isn't knocked out in the thousands in a Chinese factory these days. 😜
I think your paying for the connectivity and function of the app more then anything.
I have used my far share of the sensors/screen combos from cheap to not so and the FOBO‘s are way better quality.
Iv found the screen ones iv used say there water proof/resistant but don’t last to long when the water gets in.
had my FOBO s on three bikes so far and only had to replace the batteries. Get over a year out of them.

As for putting the screen in your pocket. I put a unit on a mates bike that he purchased. I mounted it under the seat. It had a warning light so I taped it and ran the wires to the bars with another led. He just wanted an early warning of a slow leak.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did about 175 K.s today in about 15 degrees C. including some highway work. After about 20 K.'s at 100 kph the rear went up to 45 psi, the front to 39; so 5 and 3 psi respectively.
After some random button pushing and trial and error I was able to re-set both the high and low warning flash points for both front and rear individually. [The flashing isn't real an issue because the display is still very visible, but it should cut out the aggro.] Battery drain for the display seems acceptable too. So although it is a cheap unit at A$50.00 including shipping, so far it has done more than I expected.

3541 - 3560 of 3627 Posts