Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a fun ride yesterday. I was in the waning miles of a 270 mile trip, cruising along at freeway speeds, when suddenly there was a whoosh and my 2004, completely stock Speedmaster started making a funny noise.

Wasn't a ha-ha funny noise, more like a whooshing/air escaping a balloon kind of noise, only much, much louder. My first thought was that something punctured a tire, but there was no shaking, shimmying, or loss of control.

It takes a minute to pull off the freeway to a safe spot where I can check it out. The chain guard is gone, and underneath the bike is a torn-off piece of metal that the chain is grinding on.

The chain guard - I understand losing that. Last week, I removed it to clean & lube my chain, and while I thought I had it tightened back on, the evidence would suggest otherwise because it's just gone. What's underneath the bike, and grinding against the chain, I have no clue.

The attached pics are terrible b/c I can't get a good angle underneath the bike. It'll be next weekend before I get a chance to take a better pic of the damage, but in the interim, I'm wondering if anybody has any guesses as to which part got chewed up pretty good.

Any/all thoughts are appreciated! Thanks -

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Marc - That's not a bad guess at all, I just took another look at it, and it could very well be a chunk of the chain guard.

@Daz - While I was out there taking another look this morning, there is a disconnected end of a hose underneath there as well. It's not ripped or torn, just looks like it has popped off something. Would something like that be connected to the emissions cannister?

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.