Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a fun ride yesterday. I was in the waning miles of a 270 mile trip, cruising along at freeway speeds, when suddenly there was a whoosh and my 2004, completely stock Speedmaster started making a funny noise.

Wasn't a ha-ha funny noise, more like a whooshing/air escaping a balloon kind of noise, only much, much louder. My first thought was that something punctured a tire, but there was no shaking, shimmying, or loss of control.

It takes a minute to pull off the freeway to a safe spot where I can check it out. The chain guard is gone, and underneath the bike is a torn-off piece of metal that the chain is grinding on.

The chain guard - I understand losing that. Last week, I removed it to clean & lube my chain, and while I thought I had it tightened back on, the evidence would suggest otherwise because it's just gone. What's underneath the bike, and grinding against the chain, I have no clue.

The attached pics are terrible b/c I can't get a good angle underneath the bike. It'll be next weekend before I get a chance to take a better pic of the damage, but in the interim, I'm wondering if anybody has any guesses as to which part got chewed up pretty good.

Any/all thoughts are appreciated! Thanks -

Jeff

Attachments

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Hey DS, long time ! I\'m not sure exactly what you\'re saying, but from what i got it sounds like you could have damage to the emissions cannister. Maybe the guard was slammed into it. That could possibly account for the air you heard, but it\'s just a guess. something you might wanna look at tho. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I don't have any metal of any sort like that, in that location on my bike. I'm wondering if this is a piece of your chain guard lodged in there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Marc - That's not a bad guess at all, I just took another look at it, and it could very well be a chunk of the chain guard.

@Daz - While I was out there taking another look this morning, there is a disconnected end of a hose underneath there as well. It's not ripped or torn, just looks like it has popped off something. Would something like that be connected to the emissions cannister?

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts