Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a track bike a few months ago. I didn't like the color scheme so I've had the body work sent off and prep'd for painting (along with some a few repairs to the body work). Well the body work is back and ready to be painted and I have no idea what color to paint the bike.

The bike is a '99 Honda F4.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Man, I wish I'd taken a picture of Steve's CBR. Something happened and the gelcoat got messed up. He ended up just sorta brushing it backward. The thing looks like it just re-entered the earth's atmosphere - some yellow, but mostly this sorta burnt-looking black/brown char effect streaking back from nose to tail, as if the thing had actually caught fire at high speed. All unintentional. Looks utterly [email protected].

My favorite bikes at the track are the rat bikes - the ones that look like they've been through the wringer, but when you look close, the engine's clean, the chain's in good shape, and you know where their priorities are.

I mean, unless you're gonna ride it on the street and want to show off, or you're a sponsored racer and have to look good, why spend a buncha money on paint that you could otherwise spend on stuff you really need, like tires, chains, sprockets, tools, etc. Sand it down and prime it if ya want. Paint it flat black. Maybe try throwing or dripping some other colors over it. Get creative with a belt sander. Have some fun with it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2007-02-28 15:46, R100Pilot wrote:
I mean, unless you're gonna ride it on the street and want to show off, or you're a sponsored racer and have to look good, why spend a buncha money on paint that you could otherwise spend on stuff you really need, like tires, chains, sprockets, tools, etc. Sand it down and prime it if ya want. Paint it flat black. Maybe try throwing or dripping some other colors over it. Get creative with a belt sander. Have some fun with it.
Good point. Maybe I should paint it white or biege or something and then stencil curse words all over it.

I had to change the color. I hated the old colors. Plus there was a hole in the body of the body work.

I wonder if I could paint it white-board. Something that would let me paint goofy stuff on the bike and then change it the next week. Like having temporary tattoos.

I could also just paint it with the same stuff that they used for the bed liner of my truck. Rhino-liner or something.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i love neon track bikes...neon yellow with neon blue rims or something wild as hell

·
Registered
192 Posts
On 2007-02-28 18:20, cheapbastard wrote:
do you really have to ask me? :hammer: :-D
Who didn't know that was comming.....

Paint it flat black (or any other color) first and let it dry. Take a can of burnt orange (or whatever color you like) and spray over the top of it. Then take newspaper and crumple it up. Take strips of it (crumpled paper) and press it onto the wet paint. It'll bring out the paint under it in crazy streaks. Just an idea....

·
Registered
74 Posts
my KLR is painted chalk board. i can draw all over it all i want.

plus, it's a really nice flat black. and it doesn't matter how you spray it, it lays out nice.

took me 2 cans of krylon fusion flat black and 2 cans of chalkboard to cover up that kawi green though.

also, the krylon says no sanding necessary, but sanding is necessary.

·
Registered
187 Posts
GREASE AND LUBE???!!!!! Am I on the right forum? I think I should have used a different descxription of ***** and chain Lube

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Or you could do a matching bike and helmet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts