Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what cleaning products you guys use. Whilst I've got all the bodywork off being sprayed, I thought I may as well give what's left of the bike a damn good clean. I currently use muc-off stuff, and have found it to be fairly good, but it did leave marks on the black frame of my Speed Four, which were a pain to get shifted. What do you lot use on your paintwork, your engine and your frame? And any particular method?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wondering what cleaning products you guys use. Whilst I've got all the bodywork off being sprayed, I thought I may as well give what's left of the bike a damn good clean. I currently use muc-off stuff, and have found it to be fairly good, but it did leave marks on the black frame of my Speed Four, which were a pain to get shifted. What do you lot use on your paintwork, your engine and your frame? And any particular method?
Currently trying Vulcanet wipes.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use what I use on my cars. Mequiras line. A quick detailer, AFTER a thorough dusting. That’s for maintainance only, not a full wash.

I have restored car paints to new with a good orbital buffer, cutting compound, polish and glaze, so I’m not worried about paintwork. I keep my cars new, so the bikes. I AM NOT paying 5 TIMES THE PRICE FOR “MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC” products. Are those Vulcanwipes seriously 40 bucks?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use what I use on my cars. Mequiras line. A quick detainer, AFTER a thorough dusting. That’s for maintainance only, not a full wash.

I have restored car paints to new with a good orbital buffer, cutting compound, polish and glaze, so I’m not worried about paintwork. I keep my cars new, so the bikes. I AM NOT paying 5 TIMES THE PRICE FOR “MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC” products. Are those Vulcanwipes seriously 40 bucks?!
Yep their not cheap. I tend to use them to give a quick wipedown. Not sure if I'll buy another pack when gone.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
The most important aspect is... you don’t want to be cleaning a dirty/dusty car or bike with “quick cleaner or detailer products.” All those quick detailer and waterless washes that say “wipe off, or no water needed”... feel free to use them. But I’m not sanding my paint by wiping it off with dust or dirt on it. That’s how you get spider webs on the paint.

I make sure I dust the bike with a swiffer, then use a quick detailer. Obviously, that won’t work on a really dirty car or bike, so then you wash. I cringe every time my friend, who does not take care of anything, LOL, sprays his bike, after sitting outside for a week or two, with motorcycle cleaner, then wipes it off. You can guess it looks like crap. It’s an old bike, but so were my previous cars that for 14 years looked like new, and my 11 years old K1200S I just got seems to have had an owner just like me, because it is immaculate. :)
My cars have never seen a brush automated car wash, only touchless. And when I wash at home with a pressure washer, I make sure I got almost all the dirt off by pressure washing thoroughly before the sponge goes on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depends on where you're at. Meguires is excellent and reasonably priced in the states but I understand is quite expensive in the UK. Muc-off I hear is great there but very expensive in the States (if you can find it.) I also find Tri-flow is a good protectant similar to GT85 in the UK. Two excellent videos on cleaning and protecting the bikes:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Depends on where you're at. Meguires is excellent and reasonably priced in the states but I understand is quite expensive in the UK. Muc-off I hear is great there but very expensive in the States (if you can find it.) I also find Tri-flow is a good protectant similar to GT85 in the UK. Two excellent videos on cleaning and protecting the bikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNzoTpQqp4&t=25s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wib_tdr_mL4&t=83s
I think the guy has a camera in my house, LOL. That’s exactly how I wash my cars/bikes. I use a pressure washer, only on the bikes I’m a good distance away. First shoot plenty water, then I have a soap bottle spray attachment. Foams like crazy; spray and let it soak a few min. Then rinse, and bucket and sponge.

Meguiras is good and has a great complete line. They are “better” products, but why bother at the price they go for, and 2 days later, it will look the same anyway. :laugh2: I would, and have, use Eagle 1 or turtle wax with no hesitation. They do the job.

·
Registered
436 Posts
HAPPICH Semmichrome metal polish for anything chrome. Will remove header blue-ing with enough elbow grease. Been using this product since Jimmy Carter was "President." It works, Follow the directions,OK?

Weedie

·
Registered
436 Posts
Beware of windex

I have the matte speedie so no waxy cleaners for me.. plain old windex it is for all materials.
Windex contains ammonia. It will gladly DISSOLVE some plastics, and rubber for sure. You are left with a nice black smear of black melted goo on everything nearby.

Simple Green is good stuff, and works on everything without harming it. It contains NO ammonia, or phosphates.

Weedie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts