Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. 04 Daytona 600. Not sure what type of sprockets are on there. Manual says use a DID 525 VM2 . DID has allegedly retired that chain model and are recommending VX type instead. But thats confusing because supposedly there was already and old type of chain called VX which was inferior to the VM2 but supposedly now the new VX is superior. However When i compare what i assume the correct specs for the VM2 chain i see that all the specs are not identical for what DID is listing for their VX Chains.

So my question is; is there a recommended chain for tt600 and if not what specifications matter when selecting a chain?

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
I never worried about it. Still don't. I use a good quality o-ring chain with a riveted master link. In general, I go for a 520 chain instead of a 525. I'm not sure why 525 is OEM, since our bikes don't make chain snapping power and don't need the extra heavy duty chain strength. From the specs I read last time I looked (years ago admittedly), a 520 had better tensile strength than a 525 from the same manufacturer. I don't remember whose chains I was looking at though.

The other thing I always do is replace the sprockets with the chain. It may or may not be overkill, but I don't mind. Using a hardened aluminum rear sprocket worked well for me, since the aluminum wore out about the same time the chain did. I get a whole lot of mileage out of chains, assuming they don't get abused by going down dirt roads or a lot of track duty or something. In normal commuting, I have gotten up to 18K miles from a chain with reasonable maintenance. That was on a TT600. I could not tell you what the chain was, since I don't remember at this point.

The real takeaway is to use a good quality chain, replace the sprockets at the same time, and keep it properly aligned, adjusted, and lubed. Beyond that, I don't think it matters.

Reactions: J. Max

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've had good luck with RK XSO chains. Good value for the money. You can't really go wrong with a good "x" ring chain from RK or DID. Just pick a price point and go with it. However, in my experience the RK's lasted longer, but there are a lot of factors that affect that.

On a related topic. I also have used and like JT Steel sprockets for the wear and price factor but they are somewhat basic and ugly looking. I recommend sticking with OEM front sprocket for the rubber dampener it has. Without it you can get a "singing" sound from some front C/S sprockets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts