Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering a newer used s3 or ducati monster... and the only way I can do it is by getting some cash out of my '99 TBird. KBB says about $2,500... that seems low, but only because it's certainly worth more than that to me.

With the cost of a replacement running around $8k, my enthusiasm is fading. I love my bike, but to be perfectly honest... I wanna go a little faster:Devil3:

anybody have words of enthusiasm? suggestions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would sell it privately. Depending on condition/mileage you would probably get $800-$1200 above that $2500 KBB trade-in value.

Plus IMO better to walk into the dealer with cash than a trade-in.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It depends on what you're willing to put up with. If you don't mind dealing with potential buyers, as vintage said, you'll make out better selling the bike yourself. If you decide to go that route, to get an idea of the market in your area, check Craigs List. A suggestion - no test rides without 1. a valid MC license 2. the cash amount of your selling price. If he drops it, he's bought it. Good luck!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'm at the dealer now and it looks like my 'bird needs a little work. Maybe a good time to unload it... And that s3 is staring at me... With BOTH eyes!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
At the dealers? Too late! Once your heart slows down and you figure out how to conceal the actual price from the missus, I hope you don't regret the trade. Of course, I have always found that if you also buy lots of accessories at the time of purchase, it will help to alleviate the pain:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, well... it happened. I traded her in; and I tried not to think about the money and love and time I put into her over the last 3 years. Of course, none of that was reflected in the trade-in value. Not the custom parts, the recent major maintenance, etc...

On the upside, I got what I consider a very good deal on the s3. It's an '08 with just over 1000 miles and lots of custom parts (exhaust, bars, mirrors, tail kit, etc...) and out the door, she was 7,500 before trade in cash.

I simply refused to get anything that has more or less than 3 cylinders and I certainly made the right choice. She's a hell of a ride, and I'm taking it easy while we get used to each other...

Anyway, I already miss my TBird. The sound combo of those pod filters and the TORs when you roll on the throttle will surely be missed. Not to mention the great stoplight and gas station conversations she always brought up...

I have enjoyed and greatly benefited from you guys here... and since I can't afford to do any work on my new ride, I'll be spending plenty of time here... reading and giving bad advice. Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts