Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you all use? i am sure there are other threads on this, but my search of the forums didn't bring up anything. My last change I used Bel-Ray, but it was 15 bucks a quart which seemed kind of sky high to me. i am due for a change and want to make sure I get the right quality without feeling like I got bent over, you know...

·
29,948 Posts
I tried using the search function using the term "oil" once and didn't get anything! :eek: I think you need 3 words to be effective.

Anyway, let me direct you to this post, which contains additional links to many many oil threads, with further links in those to other oil threads.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/91238-great-source-of-info.html#post1097274

The "Great Source of Info" sticky really is a great place to look if you want some info. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mobile 1 and Wal Mart

Just use the Mobile 1 that Triumph suggests. I went to Wal MArt and ot was like, 2 dollars a gallon more than any of the others.

Cheers,

SK

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mobil1 v-twin is pretty decent oil.
I run another brand in mine now but Next batch of oil i buy I may go back to Mobil1

JC

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Use motorcycle oil that meets the specifications in your owner's manual:

JASO MA and API SH or higher, semi-synthetic or full synthetic, 15W50 or 10W40.

It seems that most of us use 15W50 or 20W50. If you're going to ride in cooler weather and/or northern climes, you could use 10W40.

I use Amsoil 20W50 full-synthetic motorcycle oil, which is expensive. I believe that the Amsoil 20W50 automobile oil also meets the specs, and it is slightly less expensive.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oil

Youll get MANY different opinions! I have tried many incl Mobil 1 which is what I stuck with till I tried Amzoil 20/50.MAde trhe tranny much smoother & lasts longer it seems ?
Stayed there since! RAcing bud w/ a shop- Is all he has EVER used in his racing bikes- he is the one that turned me on to it. Try them? You will find one you will stick with! Have fun & keep it up on both wheels!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
go with the Amsoil! You'll never look back. as stated previously, it will smooth up your transmission and keep engine chatter to a min. plus, i believe you can go longer between changes. heard somewhere you can go 12,000 miles on the oil, although i wouldn't do that. oil is cheap insurance for a long running bike! -keith

·
Registered
673 Posts
Amsoil was too gritty so I went to Mobile 1. After 2 oil changes with Mobile 1 I started to think it was too slick. I used Rotella at 10,000 miles and I am sold. It's good stuff and under $20 a gallon.

·
Registered
734 Posts
See what you started TBC...stand back this thread is gonna blow!!!:D:D:D :cannon:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hot Massage oil

:rolleyes:

Actually
I am runni9ng Silkolene and have had great results but like I said
I may go back to Mobil1 v-twin as it is cheaper but the quality is very high.

No back to the oily jocularity;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shell ROTELLA® T SYNTHETIC.

Full synthetic, safe for the clutch plates, $14 for a 5-gallon jug at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Valvolene motrocycle oil. It has the JASO MA spec on the bottle and costs less than $4 a quart. I blended some 20/50 and 10/40 to get more of a mid-range viscosity. I use the Walmart filter so a complete oil change is less than $20.

·
29,948 Posts
I swore I would never post on another oil thread except to provide links to the previous oil threads, but I feel like it.

While I do indeed use mobil 1, for my own reasons owing to some actual data I saw from some tribologists I know, saying that "cheap oil is for cheap engines" is a too sweeping of a statement for me.

However, I know where you're coming from. I would say that crap oil is for crap engines, and there is expensive oil out there that isn't that good.

Anyhoo, a lot of people like rotella. There are good reasons for that - it's inexpensive compared to some brands (like mobil 1), and frankly, works.

Here's hard evidence:

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3081&page=1#Post3081

Bottom line, stick with what you're comfortable with. Make sure it meets factory recommended specs, change oil and filter frequently, ride the bike, enjoy life. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
...I know, saying that "cheap oil is for cheap engines" is a too sweeping of a statement for me.

However, I know where you're coming from. I would say that crap oil is for crap engines, and there is expensive oil out there that isn't that good.

Anyhoo, a lot of people like rotella. There are good reasons for that - it's inexpensive compared to some brands (like mobil 1), and frankly, works...
Yeah, I was just looking to get a reaction, it's been a little quiet here. ;)

Happy New Year!

P.S. - I still favor Mobil 1 oil ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
oyle

I went with Shell Rotella Full Syn when the 500 mile change was up, it really seems to shift much better with that oil and the clutch is smooth and responsive during shifting and easing up a gear.
No doubt any good oil will work just fine as long as certified for bikes but different shakes for different takes people have is the word of the day.
Cost is hardly a factor since you arent' changing oil every week or so so just find an oil you can get locally and find that it works for you and you're good to go!!!
I do think Synthetic is better though. I've been running that in my truck since I got it and after 80k or so its still not burning one drop of oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts