Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this in the small pile of parts but even the seller said it was not from this 71 Bonneville I was buying. The top looks pretty generic but maybe someone can recognize the pan.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose this would be better with measurements. Sorry, I will get more info in the morning when I get home.

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
It kind of looks like an OIF seat, the hinges are on the RHS so it would be an earlier bike, mine (79) are on the LHS.

what's the round thing in the middle? It looks like the top shot of a piston?

·
Registered
235 Posts
agree with Dave; I think the right-hand hinges started with '71 and were gone by '73. The latch style (plunger or lunchbox), distance between the hinge mounts (7 3/4" or 11"), and the width of the nose all varied, but that seat could definitely be from a '71 Bonneville.
It looks like it's got two options for the front hinge mount, so maybe this was some sort of transitional stamping or an aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
I think my (original?) saddle has an option to fit a hinge further along. Dunno if the same seat base fitted a different model.
My current seat is a custom one but the original, or at least the one that was on my bike when I bought it in 84, is on my landing as I needed to look at it the other day.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, you were right. it was a piston in it's box. I was trying to figure out what the heck it was yesterday when I posted from work :)
The measurements;
11.5" wide
25.5" long
7.75" between the hinge mounts (center to center).
Here is a picture of the cover;

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No evidence at all of any 'Triumph' having been on the rear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
leylandauto---
I have the same seat for my 71 T120R. Mine also has the second front mount but I believe mine may have been altered by a previous owner as the mount on the frame has been broken and moved to a different location. Mine does not have the Truimph logo either but looks like a re-cover.

Bruce57

·
Registered
53 Posts
may not matter to you now but this is the seat on my 71 T120R. It has been modified to fit the altered hinge post placement.It looks to me that it was moved because of the placement of the mounts on keyed side panel. Have some pictures in an album that I think you can access as it is public. Still have not figured out how to post pictures yet so the album is all I can do for now.

Bruce57

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
may not matter to you now but this is the seat on my 71 T120R. It has been modified to fit the altered hinge post placement.It looks to me that it was moved because of the placement of the mounts on keyed side panel. Have some pictures in an album that I think you can access as it is public. Still have not figured out how to post pictures yet so the album is all I can do for now.

Bruce57
Just set up a free Photobucket acct. posting from there is so easy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm pretty sure that seat is off an oif BSA A65. Triumph T120/TR6 seats from 71-72 have ribs on the top. The BSA seats had the waffle or crosshatch pattern.

Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
here is the altered seat mount post. note the mounts of the key panel would be in the way of the original seat mount post. I have pictures of an unaltered seat pan from another seat I have without the alterations. The mounting holes on my seat are an obvious home made alteration. Could be why the original poster had an altered seat as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts