Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i kno its the speed triple forum, but im curious to your opinions.

am thinking of buying a bike here in the states and shipping it to my home in Portugal. I already have a bike in Portugal it is a Honda Africa twin, which I like, but it's down in power, and kinda dull to ride. And it turns out, i dont really like vtwins all that much. I prefer 3-4 cylinder bikes.

one of my options is to ship my st1100 to Portugal, the st1100 is a 1991, and has 108k miles. Which im not sure I should do since it has so many miles. But runs great!

Money is an issue for me unfortunatly. So I am limited to used cheap bikes for considering.

I want a bike that is reliable!(hondas, yamahas etc.), gets great mpg, Fuel injected, some wind protection

some bikes i was looking at

honda blackbird (definatly aiming at this sort of bike)
honda 919
honda 929rr
yamaha r1
yamaha fz6
yamaha fz1

what would you do?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Get the Blackbird, lots of power and wind protection and smooooth.
Make a good hyper touring bike and there are some great deals out there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fz1 is a good one, but it is carburatted. :(

The new ones are way too expensive. Since i would have it parked most of the year in portugal, i dont want a super expensive bike. Which is the reason the st1100 might fit this bill.

If i send another bike over, you can ride the africa twin cheap

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I would send the bike you already have. The money you save from not buying another bike would take care of any servicing if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2007-01-25 14:02, Limey wrote:
I would send the bike you already have. The money you save from not buying another bike would take care of any servicing if anything goes wrong.
yeah i hear you. Im just wondering if I buy a bike with 20k miles will have a less chance of breaking than my st1100 with 108k miles. But these st1100's are good, many out there with 200-300k miles!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Triumph Rocket 111 thats the baby.Nice to ride handles well comfortable and pulls like a train.Have a test ride on one you will love the torque :hammer:

·
Registered
317 Posts
How 'bout an older Sprint or Tiger? That way you can still stay in the Triumph family and have your wind protection, too.

I was also going to suggest a Honda Superhawk - the most overlooked bike of the century - but I see that you're not a fan of V-twins. I always kinda liked the ZRX as well if you're definitely looking for somthing Japanese.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can't go wrong with the 919 either. It is just a little ...........boring looking though. From what I have read it has a good quality feel. Don't give up ship on the s3 though. There are deals out there. I looked hard and it fell into my lap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts