Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its a new year and I want to know what your motorcycle goals are for 2009.

It can be anything, a new bike, a specific trip or specific mods.

For me:
1) I want to rejuvenate the Edmonton RAT Pack which has been sliding into oblivion over the last few years.

2) I want to finish my bike. It still needs the knee pads, black headlight bucket, black leavers, black valve cover and black clubman handlebars. I also need to put the BARK in it that is sitting on my bench and get the cowl striped and mated to my single seat.

3) Do a Rocky Mountain ride this year. I want to ride from Edmonton to Jasper then down the spine of the Rockies into southern Alberta then back up through the foothills.

What is it for you? What do you want to achieve on or to your motorcycle in 2009?

·
Registered
255 Posts
My goals might be a bit different than most. I'd like to do a major downsizing of the fleet. With eight of them its just gotten completely out of hand even though space is not the issue it once was. If I could cut it to four, perhaps five, that would be far more manageable.
Sadly, we seem to be in a time when selling anything for a decent price may be difficult. Of course one of the problems is that you tend to acquire things you like and sort of hate to see them go. Unfortunately desire for new shiny things is still out there tempting us.
I had also hoped that I might do a slight reshuffling of whatever ends up remaining. I've been thinking I would like to try a Bonneville for quite some time and I'd like to fit that in there somehow. Of course I can think of perhaps a half dozen bikes that I would like to sample at any given time.
As for riding I have always lived for the long multi day tour. I am finding as time goes on I have less and less desire for that. I think it is likely because I don't like being away from my wife and son for days on end. Still, I hope to get in some shorter multi-day rides, especially some back country rides.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I'm aiming to ride around the Nurburgring faster than Jeremy Clarkson who did it in 9 minutes 59 seconds and was famously beaten, well beaten, by a local girl driving a Ford Transit van.

This means averaging 80mph around the circuit so it'll have to wait until after August when my 33bhp restrictor comes off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Plans

Well I'd like to do a few distance runs on my bike with a bit of camping.

More off road - not necessarily P-D but a bit of a challenge.

What I would really love to do is ride out to Malcesine in northern Italy & meet Gina & Cam there for some hols.
960 miles of France-Germany-Swizerland-Italy. Google says 28 hrs so i guess thats about 3 days riding.

Cheers
Clive

·
29,948 Posts
I don't have major goals - Calliway I think you have a couple of excellent ones there.

I'm thinking I want to do some decent touring, I haven't decided where yet. Maybe South Dakota way.

Certainly the first goal is to finish up the winter mods and tune the bike a little bit, and then get through winter to spring and start riding.

I do want to get a bit more involved with the local RAT pack too, we'll see how that goes, they are a good bucnh, I met them a few weeks ago.

This is a fun thread Calliway, going to move it bikers hang out so everyone can play, I think it needs a wider audience! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
OK, I have spent time sorting out my Marshaling dates
These are the ones I think I will be doing next year, it is what I am hoping to do.
In date order.

Moto 6 Nations, New Era. (full GP track & TV??)
Donington Park, 28th & 29th March.

T/sports,
Cadwell Park, Saturday 11th (test day?) Sunday 12th & Monday 13th April.

DP.
Cadwell Park Full Circuit, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May.

BEMSEE,
Cadwell Park, Friday test day 15th, Sat 16th, & Sun 17th May.

New Era.
Snetterton. 24th & 25th May.

NG,
Cadwell Park, Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th June.

New Era,
Mallory Park, 21st June if we don't do MotoGP??

WSB.
Donington Park, Friday 26th Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th June.

DP.
Oulton Park, Saturday 4th July??

T/sports,
Snetterton, 11th & 12th July.

MotoGP
Donington Park, Thursday 23rd, Friday 24th, Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th July.

New Era,
Cadwell Park, Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August.

BEMSEE,
Cadwell Park, Friday test day 21st, Sat 22nd, & Sun 23rd August.

T/sports.
Anglesey. 12th & 13th September (travel down Friday 11th & back Monday 14th)

DP,
Cadwell Park Full Circuit, Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th September.

New Era,
Cadwell Park, Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th October.

Classic Club,
Cadwell Park, Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th October.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
First I would like to get the wife out on the bike more this year. Been wanting to take just some short trips (2 -3 days) with her. Think that might happen soon.

Want to try and do the Natchez Trace Parkway this summer. Have a couple of friends interested will see how it goes.

The big if in all of this is what the economy does. Still not sure about having a job 6 months from now.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am sad to say that I, too, plan to do some downsizing. I have had to make a choice between my beloved Speedmaster and my beautiful, agile Trophy. I had to evaluate my goals for the coming years, and the 2-3 day trips are what I am looking for. The north Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina mountains easily fall into that category, and the Florida panhandle and Alabama Coast are also attractive. I have taken trips on both bikes, and for touring, the Trophy wins hands down.

I plan on selling the Speedmaster and putting some goodies on the Trophy. They will include a 12-volt outlet, Corbin seat and may be a bike-to-bike communications system. Ther rest of the proceeds will go to financing the trips. Traveling alone can be comparatively inexpensive.

I will miss the trusty SM, but, at 66, I don't have many years left to ride. I want to pack a lot of miles into that time.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Retain my driver's licence now that they've introduces a demerit points system here. Quite how this will work out intrigues us; the licensing dept cannot seem to issue legit licences timeously nor stem the issue of illegal licences, often out of the same department....!

Watch World Superbikes at Kyalami in May.

Learn to ride the Tiger better offroad.

Stop waffling on so much on triumphRAT.net.

Etc. :D

DaveB.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Get Collector insurance for my Norton.
Get some good tires for the Norton as well as sort out the magneto a little better.
Do some distance runs on my Norton, like Ton Up Vancouver Sunshine Coast Run and maybe Nelson RAT Raid.
Sell my Triumph (maybe...got to see how much funding/grants I get for school.)

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
A friend and I are planning a ride to Seattle by way of Glacier National Park (up Hwy 93) then down the Pacific coast from end-to-end to San Diego in July. 5K miles by the time we take a few choice detours. He's retired and bored and I have kids to visit along the way. We plan to camp half the trip and sleep in real beds the other half. Plus my yearly trip on Hwy 12 in Utah and a trip or two to see my folks and any surprises!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get Collector insurance for my Norton.
Get some good tires for the Norton as well as sort out the magneto a little better.
Do some distance runs on my Norton, like Ton Up Vancouver Sunshine Coast Run and maybe Nelson RAT Raid.
Sell my Triumph (maybe...got to see how much funding/grants I get for school.)

You better get to the RAT raid in Nelson this year! I would love to see that Norton there if you sell the Triumph. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Get to ride my T100 more than I did the last two summers. As anyone who lives in the UK will know we have had terrible summers weatherwise the last two years!!
I know I can do nothing to infuence the weather but I am determined to make the most of the decent days by having more of a 'can do' attitude rather than sitting indoors moaning about the weather:(

·
Registered
363 Posts
A major tour

Two friends and I are planning a trip from Ontario, northeast through Quebec to Labrador. Once in Goose Bay, take the coastal ferry south to where the road begins again, then another ferry south to Newfoundland. Another ferry south to Nova Scotia, then home through New Brunswick and New England.

Me on the Scrambler, they on a KLR and an HP2.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts

I'd love to take a backroads trip from PA thru VA to the Ashville NC area.
All this really depends on the economy(I'm an independent truck driver) and if I have funds to take some time off.....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'm aiming to ride around the Nurburgring faster than Jeremy Clarkson who did it in 9 minutes 59 seconds and was famously beaten, well beaten, by a local girl driving a Ford Transit van.

This means averaging 80mph around the circuit so it'll have to wait until after August when my 33bhp restrictor comes off.
That sounds like an excellent idea. I would love to go round the Ring. But I have to find the time to get there. BTW: Do you have any idea of the lap-times other Bonnies do it in?

·
29,948 Posts
Barneys - get yerself over to the seaside on a ride, and have some fish and chips while the sea dashes against the seafront. Do it for me, and tell me all about it, because man, that is a ride I miss.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
I plan to add a second bike to my garage, to sit next to my 2004 Sprint ST I am going to add another 1050 Sprint ST with lower kms on it.

The newer machine will be for my "boys rides" and the more comfortable (with gel seat) 955i for trips and two up rides.

That is my plan Calli. I just have to make it happen now.:)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Do you have any idea of the lap-times other Bonnies do it in?
No idea, I'm not even sure that anyone riding a Bonnie has tried before. When I mentioned it to a couple of crotch rocket riders a while ago they doubted whether the Bonnie "can make the lean angles".

Perhaps someone here can enlighten us?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts