Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pack a cover in my saddlebags to protect my '15 T100 black from weather when I am touring. What have you found that fits well, protects well, relatively light and not too expensive?
I have removed my stock mirrors so it does not need to be super tall and goofy looking.
thanks!

·
Registered
2013 T100
149 Posts

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
You could consider a "half cover" instead of full cover to save weight and space.

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
In addition, you can put it on a hot bike. You have to watch out with a full cover - you'll melt it if it hits hot pipes.
Good point.

I liked my half-cover when I was using it, although I've had no need for it since the new parking garage--with designated motorcycle spaces--was built at work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In addition, you can put it on a hot bike. You have to watch out with a full cover - you'll melt it if it hits hot pipes.
haha, :laugh2: thats what happened to mine the other day..

came home from work and chucked the cover over it straight away without thinking coz it was going to rain and the next day found a burn hole where it touched the header pipes

lesson learnt, let it cool down for at least half an hour

now I gotta carefully scrape the burnt stuff of the pipes without marking em

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe it's a sin but I barely cover mine, but when I do, I actually just use a car cover from an old car I no longer have. Usually it's just parked underneath my balcony at my apartment, and if it looks like rain, and I haven't been riding it, and I remember, I'll throw the cover on. If I'm out and it rains, or looks like it, I let it happen.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
now I gotta carefully scrape the burnt stuff of the pipes without marking em
Use a piece of copper, such as the edge of a coin. Test it with a magnet first though, our coins are only copper coated steel. The copper is softer so does not scratch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Use a piece of copper, such as the edge of a coin. Test it with a magnet first though, our coins are only copper coated steel. The copper is softer so does not scratch.
I've used a spatula in the past as well. The hard Rubbermaid kind. Also have used old pennies, but just like Ripper says- the coins have gotta be copper.

I don't recommend the oven cleaner method some use.. I permanently dulled the header on an old Virago using EZ Off doing it that way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey Ripper, thanx for the tip as that worked great

we dont have copper coins here any more but I knew some on who had some old worthles one and two cent coins

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have Dowco Guardian and Nelson Riggs Defender. They are both high quality but I think Dowco has better material and built better. Both have life time warranty so if it gets faded or ripped you can get a replacement for just the cost of shipping. I wouldn't recommend super light and super cheap covers. They don't last more than a season.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
hey Ripper, thanx for the tip as that worked great

we dont have copper coins here any more but I knew some on who had some old worthles one and two cent coins
May be worthwhile keeping that coin in your toolbox for future use. This has happened to me a few times!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have Dowco Guardian and Nelson Riggs Defender. They are both high quality but I think Dowco has better material and built better. Both have life time warranty so if it gets faded or ripped you can get a replacement for just the cost of shipping. I wouldn't recommend super light and super cheap covers. They don't last more than a season.
Have you ever tested out the warranty? I would buy a Dowco if they really stand by their product.

How small can it compact to? sleeping bag size?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I haven't tested out the warranty. My Dowco cover is two years old and as good as new. Not faded at all.

Sleeping bag size sounds about right.

Have you ever tested out the warranty? I would buy a Dowco if they really stand by their product.

How small can it compact to? sleeping bag size?

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
My half cover, which I think is a Nelson-Rigg, fits in an included carry bag that is about the size of a fanny pack.

Sorry I can't say for sure, but I haven't used the thing in years and I'm not sure where it is, although I know it's around here somewhere ... :dunno

1 - 19 of 19 Posts