Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a quote of $215/mo for pretty basic coverages. This is compared to the $47 I am paying on my Bonneville. It seems outrageous.

I am 24, with a spotless record, in Phoenix. For ****s and giggles, my agent wrote that I am 25 and it went down a whopping 11 bucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am 33 years old, and I pay $1650 a year. This also includes the MSF riders safety course discount. But I also did have 2 speeding tickets already on my record:(

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
Insurance is a whole lot cheaper for me, but I'm a harmless geezer. :D

Shop around. Some companies rate bikes by displacement, others by what they are. For a while, my insurance company was absolutely sure my bike was a small touring bike. They are beginning to figure it out, but they haven't got around to raising rates much. If I traded it for a Rocket III, my rates with them would go through the roof. Even a Harley would cost me more, since the engine, such that it is, is much bigger on a Harley.

It also has to do with where you live. Most insurance companies think I live in an inner city war zone. My insurance company thinks I live in a bucolic town full of butterflies and Norman Rockwell moments. I don't know what goes on in the offices where insurance companies make decisions, but I suspect it's hallucinogenic.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
$377.38 per year for full coverage, but I'm an old dude and have been riding for 34 years. Plus, the bike, trailer, house and all motor vehicles are insured with the same place and as a result of my age, driving record and combination policy I have some significant discounts...

TripleThreat

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
And Bloomington, Indiana probably doesn't hurt, either! Seattle must have a slightly higher claims rate, since I pay a bit more per year, but I also have fairly high limits and a fairly low deductible for the time being. It all adds into the calculation some guy in a windowless office in Hartford makes. They also know when you are going to die, and how, but they won't let on.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
And Bloomington, Indiana probably doesn't hurt, either!
I'm sure that's true, but if I were 20 minutes away in Nashville, Indiana rather than in a college town, it would be even less...

Those reckless college kids:Angry:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I pay full coverage, I got quotes from about 8 companies. Progressive was the most expensive quote, and you will find that most insurances will not even cover "crotch rockets". I thought it was crazy, they asked me what make, model, displacement, and said NO. I also have my truck, trailer, home insured with Nationwide but they dont insure Rockets. I think insurance is most insurance is a rip off anyway, but we do need it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im paying about $317/year but I'm only getting basic coverage through Geico... Full coverage is about $820/year in Portland Oregon but I'm a lowly college student with a part-time job that can't really afford full coverage, so I keep it modestly slow and safe. And no track days, yet...

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i got good news and bad news today about insurance for an 09 daytona.
the good news is that i can afford it:rolleyes:
the bad news is it is going to cost me $1900 for full coverage. this is due to an awful driving record from when i had a 350z.:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I pay a little less then 100 a month. I'm with State Farm, changed from progressive because they wanted a ton. So total with state farm a month which is full coverage on 2 vehicles( 04 Rav 4 and 06 Tacoma) and 09 D675 and renters insurance I pay a total of 213 a month. Not to bad at all. Oh and I'm 26 with only 2 speeding tickets since i was 16, none in the past 3 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 36 years old and have USAA for house, cars, etc... They subcontract to Progressive for their motorcycle insurance. I am paying $49 per month on full coverage with $500 deductables on a Monster S2R1000. I checked today on adding an 09 Daytona 675 and that would raise my insurance to just a little over 2k per year. Pretty crazy considering no tickets wrecks, married, etc... I asked the lady to do just change the cc's to 1000 and run it and it came down to 800 per year for both bikes. She said the amount of claims on 600 cc bikes is just that bad. :(

Still probably will buy but need to shop the insurance around a little more.

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
Try Allstate. They have so far been very good to us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try Allstate. They have so far been very good to us.
Thanks. I will definately give them a try. I do know that State Farm has quoted this bike high in the past but I will try again. I have no problem paying what is necessary but it is rediculous that I got a quote for more then half off if I go with a new Ducati 1198 instead of a D675.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
It costs more than double to insure a 675? You have to be kidding! State Farm apparently thinks a Ducati is a Harley or something. They haven't figured out the price of Ducati parts.

I have heard good things about Farmers, too, but they are one of the companies who thought our neighborhood was downtown Beirut. Allstate thinks we live in Mayberrry. Try all of them, because you never know what kind of oddball line they drew. You also don't know how they rate specific bikes. I'm pretty sure Allstate still looks primarily at displacement, but I could be wrong.

I had a pretty big claim when I got knocked down by a hit and run driver a number of years ago, and Allstate handled it without any problems. They didn't raise my rates, either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cost to insure a 600CC bike is crazy. All the insurance companies use the CC and 600 seems to be the highest risk group. Like a said before I use USAA for my house, cars, wife's medical license, etc... and they subcontract out to Progressive and give us more discounts and it still is a huge difference. Before I bought my Monster S2R1000 I looked at buying a Monster 696 but the insurance was more then double. I also looked at the CBR1000RR and the CBR600RR and again the 600 was more then double. I know it doesn't make sense but that is the nature of all the motorcycle insurance companies. The only other bike I have really considered recently is a MV Agusta 312 1078 and it was even a little cheaper on insurance even though the cost of the bike was 25k. Oh well, I am just probably going to get the new Daytona and live with the extra cost.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
Squids ride 600s. The insurance companies finally figured it out, I guess.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was quoted $760 a year for full coverage on an 09' Daytona by Geico. Still cheaper than any of the Jap bikes for me. I was considering the Daytona but have put a deposit on a Black Street Triple since. Insurance rates are much cheaper for the nakeds, I will only be at about $400 a year for excellent coverages.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It costs more than double to insure a 675? You have to be kidding! State Farm apparently thinks a Ducati is a Harley or something. They haven't figured out the price of Ducati parts.

I have heard good things about Farmers, too, but they are one of the companies who thought our neighborhood was downtown Beirut. Allstate thinks we live in Mayberrry. Try all of them, because you never know what kind of oddball line they drew. You also don't know how they rate specific bikes. I'm pretty sure Allstate still looks primarily at displacement, but I could be wrong.

I had a pretty big claim when I got knocked down by a hit and run driver a number of years ago, and Allstate handled it without any problems. They didn't raise my rates, either.
I used to be with Farmers and was quoted an outrageous rate for cycle insurance, in fact my agent told me to call Geico.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts