Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This electrical connection on my 1996 Thuderbird was left disconnected and taped over by a previous owner. There is a red wire and a black/yellow striped wire. Can anyone tell me what this connection runs? The Haynes manual seems to indicate that a red wire would be a 12V positive wire running to the battery and the black/yellow wire a ground wire, but I can't tell how this connection fits into the wiring diagram. My bike runs fine, the kill switch works, starter works, lights and horn work. The tach doesn't work (and I've read some old posts for ideas on that) and sometimes the front and rear brake lights don't come on when the lever or pedal is pushed (may be dirty connections, bad switches, or ?). Since the bike is running, I'm hesitant to reconnect this connection, but then again, maybe it would run even better if I did.

I also have this mystery electrical connector:
It has 12 female spaces, and they are numbered 1-12 on the white plastic. I can find no counterpart to it. It kind of looks like a place to plug in some sort of tester. I can't find anything in the Haynes manual about it. (BTW, this photo is right above the battery box).

Thank you to anyone who can help me figure out what these electrical connectors are for!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think the 2-pin connector is for the evap purge valve fitted to California market bikes only. The other 12-pin might be for the optional factory fitted alarm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terry, I think you are right! My bike is from CA and it is an early model Thunderbird. After reading your answer, I looked at the evaporative loss system section in the Haynes manual and the 2-pin connector looks an awful lot like the one shown in diagram 14.1a that controls the solenoids for the evap purge valve. I realize now that my system is missing, so it makes sense that this wire connection is taped off. As for the 12-pin connector, the optional alarm seems like a reasonable conclusion.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my post and respond. I'm excited to put the bike back together and take her for a ride this afternoon. It's a beautiful day here in Northern California.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
My '98 TBS has another connector just like the one for the California emissions. It was there for optional equipment, other than the alarm. I used it to power a relay that supplied my heated gear with power. The one for the CA emissions is used to power a relay for the GPS and communications stuff.

I don't know if any of the other Classic triples have both of those connectors like mine does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts