Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just going over my new '06 SM with a fine tooth comb when I found, located under the left carb sitting on the transmission housing, some electrical wiring and connectors. Two of these connectors are open , and not hooked up to anything, they are just sort of hanging there. They are both female, with two sockets each, and they both have a wire retaining clip on the connector body. One connector has a black wire and a green/red stripe wire. The other connector has a green/red strip wire and a yellow/red stripe wire. Could they be for servicing diagnostics? Any idea what they are for, and should they be connected to something?
Also, the dealer had removed the AI, but I want to silicone the plug on the airbox where the hose came off. Can't locate where that plug is? Can anyone guide me to the plug's location?
Long TOR's were installed, and the engine has only been run long enough for a rejet, dealer prep, and a short test ride, before it was shipped to me. I have run the engine maybe 5 minutes total since it's arrival. I pulled the spark plugs today, and they were carboned up pretty well, but I expect that carbon will be burned off in the spring with some higher revs, and engine break-in. Or, do you thing the mixture might be too rich?
thanks

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
don't worry bout them......one is for an accessory outlet and the other i'm not sure but it's normal. Mine has 2 also.

The hole in the airbox is under the left side chrome perforated cover. If i recall you also have to take off a plastic cover underneath the chrome one.

It could be rich if they rejetted it with jets that are too big. Ask them what size they used. If the pipes are the only thing done (AI doesn't matter) then i'd say the biggest the main jets should be is maybe 125 128 bepending on what sizes are actually available. I think there is a 128, but that might even be a bit much. I'd ask and if they are bigger than 125 you may wanna use 125's or open up the airway by pulling off the snorkel. the latter being the better idea cuz it'll get you a bit more power.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Daz...the dealership is located right at sea level, and the elevation where I live is 1653 ft ASL. I told the dealer this before the rejet, knowing that for the bike to be set up at sea level, it would make the bike run richer at my elevation. He said that's good information, and would instruct the techs to set the carbs slightly more lean for me, which would be about right at my elevation. But, if the carbs are still running too rich in the spring I'll either adjust the mixture, or pull the snorkel. Can't really play with the bike until then....we've got 2 feet of snow, and it's -10 below.
I'm planning to do the MotoMan engine break-in method, so any carbon on the stock plugs should get blown off. Tomorrow I'm putting a set of NGK Xtreme Iridiums which should blow the heads off a few gophers come spring.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Daz, is there a mate available for those connectors that could be used to tap into the electrical system for accessories?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the two connectors are for the fuel injection that is coming next year...power to the throttle bodies. A lot of 05 models had them as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Future FI connectors?...wouldn't that be sweet if FI can be easily retro fitted. Just got the bike shipped to me last week. I had 2 Harley owners help unload the crate and when we cracked the crate open they were really impressed with the SM. Lots of good comments, but when they asked how much I paid, they quieted right up. This bike cost way less than half of theirs, even after my shipping cost. Too bad it's winter now, but I'll be riding with them in the spring...after a quick MotoMan engine break-in, I'll hand them the keys, and they can get a better appreciation for the SM.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
On 2006-12-19 04:13, Silverado57 wrote:
Daz, is there a mate available for those connectors that could be used to tap into the electrical system for accessories?
Yea, far as i know. People use it all the time for a 12v accessory socket.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
On 2006-12-19 14:01, dazco wrote:
On 2006-12-19 04:13, Silverado57 wrote:
Yea, far as i know. People use it all the time for a 12v accessory socket.
Can I trouble you for a part number or source Daz? Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts