Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i happened to run into a old Britt Bike fan told, as I rode in the rain. And we had a small convo about getting parts, and having them being authentic, and so on. And we got on the subject of lucas. I know very little about Lucas besides the half a dozen or so sweet boxes I have in my garage that I got from Klemphs. The one thing we did disagree about was who built most of the Triumph Engine. I agreed with most of what he said because he seemed to know his stuff. Compared to my second season on the 79 Bonneville that stille being restored. But Over all was it mostly electric? and the transmision? built by lucas or the whole engine. THis is where Im a bit confused.

Brian

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
If it arcs, smokes, sizzles, cracks, melts, fails to work, works intermittently, gives you a shock, burns up mating bits, shorts out if somebody sneezes next to your bike, is a direct replacement but does not fit, stops working when you are doing a ton at night, causes a blackout in your part of the county, or results in your beer becoming warm... It's made by Lucas.

Rob
PS - Sorry if I missed any

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Lucas also built refrigeration units. That's why the British drink warm beer.

HAR HAR! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The electrics was what we were really talking about, but I wasnt sure about the engine. If it was something Triumph did hand an hand with someone. Now I know why my electrical system Looks like something out of an abandoned house.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Darkness, burnt wiring harnesses, misery and warm beer.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Lucas also built refrigeration units. That's why the British drink warm beer.

HAR HAR! :D
Which brings up the old joke:

Why don't they manufacture TVs in the UK?

They can't figure out how to make them leak oil.

And a hardy, har, har, har, to you to!

Another ugly American,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
These Lucas jokes don't really get the laughing response out of me, as all mine work pretty well.

(See the sticky thread on member's bike photos to see how many I'm talking about)

The new 3rd world "pattern replacement" stuff isn't as good as Lucas, in many cases.

The keys to making Lucas stuff work correctly, and last a long time, are:

1. Good, clean connections
2. Care to isolate wires from anything that can chafe or nick
3. Clean, solid grounding at all points on the wiring harness
4. Clean, bare metal grounding of all electrical components and lights

The rest is operator-induced errors like hooking up the battery backwards, jump-starting with a running car, over-tightening coil mounting brackets causing squeeze-induced failure, neglecting battery electrolyte level, neglecting maintaining a charge by regular use over 20 minutes at a time, etc.

One thing you almost can't get away from is vibration-induced failure of light bulb filaments, but any brand will fail as quick as Lucas will in that respect.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Aw come'on, Paul. Thems Lucas jokes is just plain funny. Ask anybody with a vintage Jag how they like those Lucas switches.

I noticed the links under your name and went to your website. Looked at the restoration projects you did. I have to say, my favorite is that 1970 Commando Chopper you brought back to original. That had to be one of the funniest looking choppers I think I've ever seen. It was almost a shame to restore that bike. Just goes to show what drugs can do to your perspective, huh? Whenever I see something like that I get this mental image of somebody just finishing it up, standing back with a big smile on their face and saying, "Perfect!". Glad you kept a picture of that bike before you restored it. Somebody could use it for one of those "This is your brain on drugs" campaigns.

Nice restos, by the way.
regards,
Rob

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Wow, that Commando chopper really does take the cake....

·
Registered
219 Posts
These Lucas jokes don't really get the laughing response out of me, as all mine work pretty well.
There is some truth behind the jokes. Over the years I have had 15+ cars and five bikes, and of these none electrical issues that I can remember except for one - my '73 MGB. When you are on a dark country road at night, hit a bump and have every light on the car go dark, it tends to make an impression. (btw: in spite of this, it was one of my favorite cars) :):)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
There is some truth behind the jokes. Over the years I have had 15+ cars and five bikes, and of these none electrical issues that I can remember except for one - my '73 MGB. When you are on a dark country road at night, hit a bump and have every light on the car go dark, it tends to make an impression. (btw: in spite of this, it was one of my favorite cars) :):)
Been there and done that in a '72 MGB.
Turned out to be a crossover battery cable connection.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
THat happened to me once, but I was driving a 1971 Fargo!
I was coming home from working the afternoon shift at the sawmill. DOing about 100mph+ as it was 2:00am-ish. Next thing I know EVERY light int he truck goes out. The plug on the back of the mainswitch had come off. Thankfully, some on coming traffic flashed their lights at me, as if I didn't know I had just lost all my lights...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I enjoy the Lucas jokes but there is little substance to them. I rode these old Trumpies when they were new and I can't relate to the stories that get around these days.

Of course poor old George Lucas has had the s**t kicked out of him by people whose only experience with his gear comes 40yrs down the track. Some of these have their own set of short circuits they have deal with too!!

I agree with GPZ. I wonder how the Jap bikes go 40+ years on. Absolutely no better I would think. RR

·
Registered
506 Posts
Single fuse

With the electrics prone to failure on our old bikes (remember, the Bonnie is 50 this year and some members have much older bikes), isn't it a daft thing to do though to rely on a single fuse for everything. If something electrical fails, it leaves you stranded until you find out exactly what it was and fix it.
That is why I did this....and converted to a 6 blade fusebox.

In case you are wondering what it is, the rectifier is mounted in a heatsink (as is the zener).
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think I first heard about Lucas being the prince of darkness when I was riding a 71 Bonneville back in 72 so the slam didn't materialize because the bikes are old. I never had any electrical problems with the Bonnie so never looked at it. After being a jap bike mechanic years ago and now having gone through a 68, I can see quite a difference in the electrical systems. The Triumph design for the connectors lends itself to being corrosion prone and loose connections but if maintained works just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts