Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking for comments on the Epco exhaust for the Bonneville.
Indeed, I find it to be the nicest - thinner than the Predator Touring, that really look big.
the question is about the noise level, how loud is it? I am not looking for neither, high torq nor high noise. I am looking for something nice and reasonnable to go in Paris.... Yes I am french!! Preparing a trip to USA in the coming weeks and then preparing my list of parts to purchase....
Last question - important - my bonneville is from 2008 so EFI engine... (I do regret this change, I should have get a carburator one, for more lfexibility in the changes...)
So if somebody as these exhasut, thank you to tell me your comments.
Salut !!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
No longer recommended since production has moved to Nicaragua (True!). The last several sets did not fit and they came packed in old torn-up T-shirts (again True!). I've got a set here that is nothing more than 15lbs of scrap steel. Sad... really sad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aha..

No longer recommended since production has moved to Nicaragua (True!). The last several sets did not fit and they came packed in old torn-up T-shirts (again True!). I've got a set here that is nothing more than 15lbs of scrap steel. Sad... really sad.
That explain all the work i had to do, they did not fit at all. Innside diameter was to small and the angel on the pipes is not correct. But i made them fitt:D. The sound is nice at lower rpm`s and strong and hard at WOT :rolleyes: Power is good. making 88.3 rwhp.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,
That is a bit desapointing.... But thank you very much for your feed back - definitelly, this plan is to be deleted so !!
What would you propose then?

·
Registered
639 Posts
That explain all the work i had to do, they did not fit at all. Innside diameter was to small and the angel on the pipes is not correct. But i made them fitt:D. The sound is nice at lower rpm`s and strong and hard at WOT :rolleyes: Power is good. making 88.3 rwhp.
Plus one here...my Epco's look great and sound excellent. They are louder than the TORS, but I wanted a deeper tone which they have.

I had a fitting issue as well....the bend was incorrect for the brackets to line up where they should. I had to remove the bolts at the rear of the headers, and gently (not-so) pull up on the canisters to finally get the footpeg hanger bolts in. I bought these pipes directly from EPCO. I emailed them asking why the bend was so way off that the hangers didn't fit....NO response. Hmmmph.

Anyway, that's old news...I like the pipes and they are staying on until I perhaps decide on a 2 into 1 someday.

I have seen alternatives that look and sound just as nice. I do like the fact that the EPCO's are stainless steel. Won't ever rust, and they look as good or better than chrome in person. BTW...ttfar 88+ rwhp is excellent...I guess these pipes are worth it!

(You can see pics of my EPCO's in the 5.5" 180 Tire Big Wheel Thruxton thread)​

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here's an attractive alternative to the EPCO's...Norman Hyde Peashooters on the Bonnie. They are slim, and from what I've heard people seem to like them. They are chromed steel (not SS) sound wonderful (see video) and the price? About $570 USD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akL5...acorse.com/bce065.htm&feature=player_embedded

http://www.normanhyde.co.uk/viewpic.php?f=shopimg/HBS165.jpg

The SS Predators seem like a pretty good deal and look good too (although they appear to have a shorter reverse cone and are larger overall diameter than the EPCO's or NH Peashooters)

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a set of the low pipes they sound great and they fit perfect.
They are louder than stock, have a nice deep rumble and sound great when cranked up. Cruising down the road they are quiet, you can here them but its not loud. I replaced my Bella corse mufflers, they were a bit loud but sounded great. The epcos look great on the bike they are small and fit tight into the bike. Mine came shipped, wrapped in there own black bag surounded by bubble rap. I have had mine about 6 months now. They will change colour.. right at the bend coming from the header pipe. Other than that they are great.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It was brought to my attention that Epco is dumping their dented and ill-fitting mufflers on eBay.

On a somewhat related note, I have found a fellow who can make SS reverse cone mufflers for me. I'm going to send him some OEM cans to make a welding jig. Don't expect anything very soon... maybe towards the end of the Summer.

/Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
is this true about epcos? i really wanted a set, but i'm concerned about quality and fit after reading comments in this thread.

my backup is indeed Norman Hyde Peashooters, which look nearly the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recieved my Epco (low) exhaust 9/02/09. "Made in Nicaragua" stamped (I thought I too got ripped after reading the earlier posts). I called Epco in Ohio and they confirmed that they send internals there and the finishing is done in Nicarauga. The Epco guy (who said he personally worked 1 month on design) said the work they do is awesome and impression I got was the work was better there (maybe they get less breaks and polish longer!). Mine came in black bags with gold lace strings, in bubble wrap and white rag strips that could be regarded as Tee-shirts from earlier post. They fit perfect and look well built.
I bought on Ebay from Acc Int in Miami for $419. They listed on Ebay as Epcos but on website as SLRA'a (maybe I got a letter wrong). The dude in Ohio at Epco (per website #) said that is another name starting with Stainless but same product. I can't see how mines could be better.
BTW, I did a bafflectomy on my stock pipes and finally drilled all the way through to have a small open exhaust which sounded much nicer than the simple back baffle removement which does nothing really. After trying for more and damaging my stock pipes and spending +$100 on bits, extensions and hole saws, I got the Epcos. They are much louder than I expected and louder than youtube demos. I already had changed to 115 main jets and the bike runs fine. I am now the rooster of the neighborhood!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had my EPCOs installed for a few months now. They are louder than they sound in the youtube videos. I have enjoyed interrupting cellphone conversations.

My kickstand doesn't quite match up with the rubber mounts on the EPCO pipes. Do you see the same?

·
Registered
372 Posts
hi all. for what it's worth, i have the epco low pipes on my 08 T100. they have around 8000 miles on them. i like the sound. maybe not quite as loud as i had hoped, but then again, i like the vance and hines shorties that are on my neighbors nightrain! anyway, these were apparently the ones still made in ohio and the fit and finish was/is excellent. i do have to say though, if i was to do it over again, i would probably go with the british customs sleepers. in my opinion, they are the best sounding pipes for the bonnies. they sound period correct and louder than the tors. i would probably have taken a look at the d&d's also, but i digress. my advice is to figure out what kind of "look" you are going for and buy accordingly. if you are after the "classic" look, i'd go with the sleepers. if you like the cafe racer look, then take a hard look at either the D&D's or the Predators. can't go wrong with any of those.-keith

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love my cheap E-bay Epcos. It seems awfully daft to spend all sorts of money on a piece of metal attached to a pipe......When I can spend it on other mods.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Staintune

Staintune is a very good slipon. I like them on my bike. The last time I rode in France the police seemed a bit touchy about noise so choose wisely. I know Staintunes would work for you and they are stainless steel. They sing when you have the throttle wide open but mellow when cruising. Perfect! What ever you get do get stainless steel...

·
Registered
2 Posts
To EndswithaW; If the kickstand/s and rubbers don't line up; I'd loosen the muffler in both places and wiggle to fit then re-tighten.

For those trying to figure if the sound is right. The Epco's have ~1" opening through the middle with no restriction. Any louder for me and I'd get a headache. Compared to stock which has 4 internal solid walls with ~3/4 nipple baffles and some screen thing deep for that true 60's sewing machine sound.

The sound is very responsive to the throttle. If louder pipes are higher pitched then I would think they would be more annoying than anything. Everyone is saying they are throaty deep sounding and thats what I like; a nice purr and bark at my command. I wish they would sound even deeper but I guess I'd need to buy a Harley.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I put the Epco’s on my ’06 Thruxton and am quite pleased with them. I had some minor fitment problems, alignment and stand problems, but was able to adjust.

However, these were bought back at the end of ’07 so can’t speak for any production changes. You might contact them directly to see if they will correct any problems that you have if you buy them.

Trying to decide on how loud they are and what kind of sound they make is really difficult with out actually hearing them in person. But, to that end, I took before and after video, same camera, same place, same route, so that at least you could compare. These are compared to the stock Thruxton mufflers not the Bonneville so perhaps that won’t be useful to you, I don’t know. But, click on
http://artshobbyprojects.com/thruxtonpage.htm

and go to the bottom of the page. Hope this helps,

Art.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Surprisingly, I came across a set of these Nicaraguan-made Epcos on a trading site in New Zealand!! I got them to replace the TORs on my 01 Bonnie, and couldn't be happier! They fit perfectly, sound excellent, the bike pulls like the proverbial, and the SS finish is first-rate. On top of that, they're as close to the old Norton 'peashooters' I've seen - arguably one of the best looking pipes ever (I had them on a Triumph TSS long ago).
The only major difference I've noted is that the Bonnie chews the juice a lot more - range went down from about 260km to a tank to 210km, goes onto reserve about 160 or so (this is with unifilter, Polaris bellmouth, Thruxton needle and 114 main/40 pilot jets).
cheers, Pat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts