Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost posted earlier with a dilemma - I couldn't start the bike at all this morning - I pressed the button on the alarm keyfob and then turned the key - the clocks did nothing.

I turned the key off and on again - nothing.

I pressed the key fob button to set the alarm, pressed it again and it turned off, turned the key - still nothing.

I thought I'd lost control of the immobiliser and it was keeping the clocks shut off.

I gave up and got a lift to work with my wife.

I came home after stewing all day. Went to see what I could do and thought maybe, just maybe even though I never touch it, it could have been the kill switch...:eek:

I took some pics of my little girl sitting on the bike yesterday - I think she must have been particularly interested in the "red button"!

The most embarrassing thing about this is that I did the same thing on my wedding day 3 years ago (on my piaggio scooter) and had to get my mum to come and pick me up so I wasn't late to the church!

I guess the moral of the story is don't forget the kill switch!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I had a very similar experience some years ago with my then- new '96 Trident 900. Took a lovely ride out to The Vanilla Bean Cafe, and when I tried to start the bike, there was no fire. Tried a bump start with a kind gent who offered to help- we went back and forth across the lot a few times, much to the amusement of the onlookers, until I looked down and realized I must have hit the kill switch when I shut the bike off. Pretty silly!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Haha, I do the same thing daily. Its either the kill switch or the kickstand down. I go to start it and it'll turn over and I go awe man whats wrong with it now, batt dead again? then I get off the bike pull out the jumper cables open the hood of the jeep then as I'm about to pull the seat I look and see the kickstand down.

HAHA DUH!!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Haha, yup we've all been there. Now when the bike seems dead the first thing I check is the kill switch followed by the side stand.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
First bike I ever rode was a rented buell blast, had to rent it from a place almost 150 miles away.

On the way home I got gas at a Mobil station and then rode off 300feet down the freeway and the bike just DIES.

It was a carburated bike and I forgot to turn the GAS ON! DOH!

So yes we've ALL been there!

I was FREAKING out thinking I killed this bike somehow, after 30 minutes of sitting on the guard rail panicking I retraced my steps to start the bike and went DUH KORY the petcock! TURN IT ON!

--Kory

·
Registered
168 Posts
A similar thing happened to me the other day.

I put all my gear on and got on the bike and tried starting and nothing happened.

I checked everything and still nothing.

I was about to take off the gear and drive my truck to work.

I then slapped myself on the helmet HARD!!

I wasn't pulling in the clutch lever.

Tim :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
This one does not have to do with getting the bike

started, but I may win the "what a moron" award! Few weeks back started bike and as I typically do, got off to put my helmet on etc. while she warmed up, doh, forgot to put stand back down. nice,:eek:

·
Registered
554 Posts
started, but I may win the "what a moron" award! Few weeks back started bike and as I typically do, got off to put my helmet on etc. while she warmed up, doh, forgot to put stand back down. nice,:eek:
Yup, been there, done that.

Even tried to drive away with one of these through the rear wheel once, luckily at slow speed so I didn't drop the bike.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Been there, done that.

Kill switch and the side stand down (in gear) Eejiot :D

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Yup I've got that Tee Shirt too uniqueadventures.:p

And Kory I did the same thing on my first bike RD 250 except I ran outa gas then figured I had to turn the fuel cock to rserve, after 10 minutes of panic and kicking the two stroker to death:eek:!

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
petrol tap

On my last bike (Bandit 600) I wanted to see what the tank range was so I made sure the reserve was off and rode until I ran out of fuel...

turned the tap and tried to start her...

reserve was on already and I'd used every last drop.

I called my wife, but she was too busy. Her boss kindly offered to swing by with some fuel but would be about and hour as he had to go via home to pick up a can. As I was at the side of the road I thought it prudent to leave my hazard lights on.

Once I got some fuel in her and tried to start her up I realised my battery was flat!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Me too!!

There is a joker around here at work who likes to turn off kill switches. The first time it happenend I only had my Sprint about two weeks and was all a panic until I noticed the kill switch. I check it regularly now.
I remember once trying to get a traffic light to change with the sidestand ... I don't do that anymore!! LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts