Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for this one:

Streetfighter comparison

These guys are pretty thorough and as good as if not better than 90% of the print mags. They have some great photos, and do video reviews too. And usually, they're fair. But they do tend to drool over anything Italian.

Hence it comes as no surprise that they like the Italian bikes. But putting the S3 behind ALL of 'em? Cancel my subscription! Oh... wait, it's a free site.

Still, it's a head-scratcher, especially considering the competition. Tuono R at $13K. S4R at $13K. Brutale at $14.5K. S3 at just under $10K? F'kn bargain, especially considering that most folks are gonna buy aftermarket parts whether they have a Triumph or any of the Italian jobs.

How about putting the S3 against the non-R versions of these bikes, you know, the ones in the same price range. Oh... wait... they'd lose.

The really weird part? All the stuff they raved about last year is now a liability. Engine not powerful enough? Frame flexes? Huh?

I can understand the suspension being not quite up to the Italian standards - where do you think they saved the $3K?

But the rest of it? I think they just like their new Italian toys.

Anyway, I think we should all get real offended and write letters to the editor. Or maybe show up en masse and do circle burnouts in their lobby.

[ This message was edited by: R100Pilot on 2006-12-04 15:57 ]

·
Registered
213 Posts
If we cared about what others thought, we'd all be on Harleys...
Ride on!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is there any reason the video had "2006 Triumph 1098 Speed Triple". I thought that was odd.

·
Banned
798 Posts
On 2006-12-04 16:21, Punkinwing wrote:
If we cared about what others thought, we'd all be on Harleys...
Ride on!!!
So true. But still....that article was a lot of dribble. The S3's stats (see the charts) speak volumes. You get more for the buck with an S3. My S3 has a few scratches, can you imaging putting a scratch on a Brutale??!! How do you ever get comfortable hanging it out on something that expensive??

kjazz

·
Registered
646 Posts
I read that too and although kinda miffed a bit I must admit that it wasnt unexpected. It wasnt as if they thought it was junk, they actually seemed to like every bike very, very much but they do like their Italians moreso..and honestly I "knew" the Tuono would take first place before reading the thing even with it's 'angry ant' looking face.

Sometimes I really think that reviewers presume the best bike are the ones that most closely emulate the repli-racer.

They are all fantastic bikes, the best of the sportin' nakeds that are on offer here in the US market presently and all bikes did fare well. They also mentioned the unforgivably mushy brake issue most of us have been contending with for ages now and that surely cost it some points.

I dunno, I'm 6'4" and I sat on a brutale at the local dealer and I just couldnt fit the darn thing, it's ergo's are too constraining for us generously limbed folk, it's an effin' beauty though! I've always liked the Tuono and it' really is the only on that really is the repli-racer with the faring ripped off and moto-bars installed. No distillation with that one!

Good review in general though, nothing about it makes me lower my head a single inch with regards to the fine bike I've chose though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
One thing I find interesting is looking at the numbers. The S3 comes in a little bit behind on the HP but absolutly cleans up on the rest in the torque department. Honestly... other than the Duc... the other two are ugly ass bikes. the brutale has potential if they ever got rid of that ugly as sin headlight

·
Registered
700 Posts
On 2006-12-04 17:55, ctrhenry wrote:
NOTICE WHICH BIKE IS IN THE LEAD IN ALL THE PHOTOS
Ofcoarse it's in the lead, it doesn't have any front brakes to slow down with!!!

But, seriously, the torque curve is out of the park. The S3 makes more at it's almost lowest point than the others at their peaks. The torque more than makes up for the less hp.

·
Registered
484 Posts
All four are great bikes. I also think the Guzzi Griso is a great naked. When it comes to street riding, however, torque is king, and Speedy wins that contest, hands down. :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Come on Guy's, We all know our S3's were the bollocks in 05 and no body can tell us otherwise, But you can't stay at the top for ever, let an Italian have the limelight for a while until it's their turn to topple off the podium. I'm happy as a pig in shyte with mine and as far as I'm concerned thats all that matters :cool:

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
when I want italian I order pizza. :-D No matter what bike wins what, if I had all of the $ in the world right now, and could only choose one bike to have my fun on, I'd git the speedy, in yeller, of course. :-D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can understand the suspension being not quite up to the Italian standards - where do you think they saved the $3K?

But the rest of it? I think they just like their new Italian toys.

Anyway, I think we should all get real offended and write letters to the editor. Or maybe show up en masse and do circle burnouts in their lobby.

:hihi:

We could get that moron son and his daddy's new mustang to drive through their front lobby?

·
Registered
354 Posts
On my a break in my ride yesterday a guy on a new Brutale pulled up next to me. He said he considered the S3. All in all, the MV is a nice ride but next to my S3 it looked like a Duc with a broken nose. When I asked him what made him choose that specific bike he said that the service intervals were cheaper than the Duc. Odd that the first thing he brought up was service over all other aspects of the bike.

I'll take my S3 any day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Whatever... Just another test and another person's opinion...

The Scorecard reveals some plain dumb criteria and nonsensical scoring variations eg: Handling 95% for Aprilia, 62.5% for S3...!!! What were they smoking! I'd love to know the science behind the assessed scores...accurate to within 0.5% no less!

I don't doubt the other 3 are good, but it's sure as hell a lot closer than that...

·
Registered
438 Posts
They focused on peak hp number and race track performance where the italian "R"-spec bikes were better. So what? They pointed out that on the road the S3 was the best bet and the engine outgrunted all others by big margin. It does not rev as high but so what?

If I spent my time on a race track I would not buy any of the bikes mentioned but a gsxr 1000 or something like that. Insted I ride on the road where Triumph is just fine.

[ This message was edited by: HarriS on 2006-12-05 05:02 ]

·
Registered
591 Posts
Personally, I like that it didn't come first in their "estimation." F#ck em. The term "hooligan" is of english origin and nobody has a proud history of fightin in the streets like our brothers on the english isle. So naturally the S3 is THE hooligan. The italians can call their bikes "Dago's" or "WOP Racers" or whatever.
You want the bike that the press adores? Get a GSXR, ride in your t-shirt, and bench race with all the other idiots. I'm gonna ride mine like an a$$hole. Why? Cause it's a hooligan bike and it deserves to be ridden so.
Anyway, when has a hard nosed hooligan anything been liked by the press. You know what they ride? Vespas, Italian bikes...
:-g

1 - 20 of 29 Posts