Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon guys & gals (if your in the uk) been pulling my hair out for the last couple of hours using the "search" facility on the forum with no luck.Its been the coldest winter for 30 years(nothing close to the cold over the pond) and also the wettest in the uk this winter (nothing new there) but the last couple of times i have been caught in the rain the Scrambler i have has been running on one cylinder and misfiring at low revs,the last time it done this i removed the plug leads from the coils and and spark plugs and coated the joints with clear silicon,butttt as you can see by this post the problem has reared it head again,as i use the bike daily and for work this could be a pain in the BACKSIDE.
If anyone can throw some light on this problem before i take a 2lb lump hammer to the bike(;)) i would appreciate the help .
mick

·
29,948 Posts
member Frankblack did a very good experiment around this problem, literally dousing his bike with water, and discovered that the spark plugs or the spark plug boots were the root of the problem. I think he massively sealed them up with silicone sealant and solved the issue. Of course there's no gauarantee that it's the same problem. If I can find the link I'll post it.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi There
I've ridden to work every day this winter( no choice, no car)on my bonnie and have had zero problems whatever the weather. I have, however, ditched the Gill coil and replaced it with a PVL equivalent( about 30 quid) and given the H.T wiring a thorough clean and seal. Where H.T. electricity is concerned cleanliness is next to godliness:eek::eek:. The plug caps are next in my replacement program. PDQ Motorcycle Developments make up custom HT leads, (http://www.pdq1.co.uk/index.htm)
Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
hiya,i've used my thruxton all thru the bad weather and have been plagued with problems,i thought it was carb icing(did ask on here)but on a warmer day but raining it still happened,limped home and done some checks and found it was the ht leads(you get a massive shock when you touch them).phoned local triumph dealer and got another massive shock,just under £100:eek:. for two.i've wrapped pvc tape around them and put a sealent on for now untill i can afford to get them.oh doom and gloom.:(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi I use ProCare on all my bikes .It's an after wash protecter that comes in a litre bottle with a spray top , most bike shops sell the stuff for about £5 . I spray the whole bike then wipe over the tank and paint work . I also use it on my enduro bike and never had any water related electrical problems. Even if it does not cure your problem ,it will keep all the salt and road grime from eating your bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hiya,i've used my thruxton all thru the bad weather and have been plagued with problems,i thought it was carb icing(did ask on here)but on a warmer day but raining it still happened,limped home and done some checks and found it was the ht leads(you get a massive shock when you touch them).phoned local triumph dealer and got another massive shock,just under £100:eek:. for two.i've wrapped pvc tape around them and put a sealent on for now untill i can afford to get them.oh doom and gloom.:(
£100 QUID FOR LEADS,thats just criminal.I was also looking at replacing the plug leads and come across these,http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MCYCLE&pcode=TAY585390

Hi I use ProCare on all my bikes .It's an after wash protecter that comes in a litre bottle with a spray top , most bike shops sell the stuff for about £5 . I spray the whole bike then wipe over the tank and paint work . I also use it on my enduro bike and never had any water related electrical problems. Even if it does not cure your problem ,it will keep all the salt and road grime from eating your bike.
Ive treated mine with ACF-50 so hopefully no problem with the salt and crud ,its the water ingress which is causing me a headache,just waiting for this god awful weather to stop,then hopefully a bit of a blast at the weekend .

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Scrambler single

Mick,

Although I've had this disease on other bikes, neither of my Scramblers suffered. Until yesterday. I was riding happily in the rain for about 80 miles, until I had what losing works teams describe as 'a mysterious loss of power' and one cylinder cut out. I pulled off the motorway and continued home via back roads, where I entertained myself and anyone watching, by riding at full throttle on one pot whilst having the other chime in at random :eek:

I narrowed it down, in my case, to the saturated right cylinder's coil, the left was ok. On the Scrambler this is mounted up at the front of the bike just behind the steering head. I don't know where the other Bonneville types have their's. Today I did the usual with all the connections, but also fitted a silicon tubing sleeve at the coil end of the HT leads. It's a tight fit over the plastic boss on the coil. A splurge of rtv goo at the joins and tie wraps to make sure everything's tight as I can get it. Can't wait till my next overnight trip to Aberdeen to see if it works.

I've been in numerous deluges before on my 400 mile round trips to work, never had this problem before in over 20,000 miles on two Scramblers. So if you ride in the rain and it hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it won't.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mick,

Although I've had this disease on other bikes, neither of my Scramblers suffered. Until yesterday. I was riding happily in the rain for about 80 miles, until I had what losing works teams describe as 'a mysterious loss of power' and one cylinder cut out. I pulled off the motorway and continued home via back roads, where I entertained myself and anyone watching, by riding at full throttle on one pot whilst having the other chime in at random :eek:

I narrowed it down, in my case, to the saturated right cylinder's coil, the left was ok. On the Scrambler this is mounted up at the front of the bike just behind the steering head. I don't know where the other Bonneville types have their's. Today I did the usual with all the connections, but also fitted a silicon tubing sleeve at the coil end of the HT leads. It's a tight fit over the plastic boss on the coil. A splurge of rtv goo at the joins and tie wraps to make sure everything's tight as I can get it. Can't wait till my next overnight trip to Aberdeen to see if it works.

I've been in numerous deluges before on my 400 mile round trips to work, never had this problem before in over 20,000 miles on two Scramblers. So if you ride in the rain and it hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it won't.
Your absolutely right about the location of the coils they do seem very exposed,and from the reply`s ive had point to the HT leads and coil area, so im going to have a good look at them tomorrow ,and hopefully get it sorted,the bike is used everyday for work and im planning a trip to lands end soon so i dont want to be dodging the rain clouds on the way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Who makes it ? Can't find a link to it on the web.
Thanks
Hi I had trouble too . Its made by ProClean here's a link http://www.bike-cleaner.com/Maintanence Product.html
I use it after wasing the bike with proclean which degreases every thing then with the procare go over the whole bike ,trying not to get too much on the discs and wipe over the exhaust too. Great stuff ,I buy it by the gallon.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've read this and other threads about water affecting the running.
Firstly, the plug cap. On mine, it has NGK waterproof caps fitted. So i doubt that's where the problem lies.
Second, the coils. The one at the front is exposed to water coming around the headstock and the terminals are facing forward. That's the obvious place to start. I've had mine off and I fitted a plastic bag around it. A bit fiddly getting the cables out and the bolts through but the front is now covered up against water spray.
I haven't had mine long enough to have riden in the rain but I want it to be as trouble free as my Tiger has been and reading through these threads has given me the areas to tackle. Thanks for all your posts.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hi I had trouble too . Its made by ProClean here's a link http://www.bike-cleaner.com/Maintanence Product.html
I use it after wasing the bike with proclean which degreases every thing then with the procare go over the whole bike ,trying not to get too much on the discs and wipe over the exhaust too. Great stuff ,I buy it by the gallon.
Would that be a bit like Motrex 645 Protect&Shine?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've read this and other threads about water affecting the running.
Firstly, the plug cap. On mine, it has NGK waterproof caps fitted. So i doubt that's where the problem lies.
Second, the coils. The one at the front is exposed to water coming around the headstock and the terminals are facing forward. That's the obvious place to start. I've had mine off and I fitted a plastic bag around it. A bit fiddly getting the cables out and the bolts through but the front is now covered up against water spray.
I haven't had mine long enough to have riden in the rain but I want it to be as trouble free as my Tiger has been and reading through these threads has given me the areas to tackle. Thanks for all your posts.
That's the route Ive gone down ,i removed the front coil and then fitted it in a surgical latex glove ,made a couple of holes for the terminals then some silicon around the openings,next stop is to ride it in the rain,not long to wait there then :rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had the same trouble on my Thruxton. Pulled over in a deluge. Water was a foot deep on the North Circular and manhole covers were being lifted out of their housings! When I restarted the bike it didn't want to run at all; had to keep the revs up just to get going and then keep them up. I too limped home on one cyclinder, with the other cutting in and out - power was way down. Imagine my horror when arriving back home to find that my right hand silencer was glowing a cherry red!

I've had the silencer replaced as a goodwill gesture (only a year warranty on exhausts!) because the C.A.T. had failed at around 4K! Had "On Yer Triumph" investigate the rough running every time it rained - apparently it was water getting into the coils; they've put grease around these and the plug boots which they say will solve the problem. So far it has! Funny, but I never had this trouble on my Bonnie!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts