Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, bike is 1970 triumph 650 with spin on oil filter fitted,and i am having a continued wet sumping issue.Only seems to wet sump when bike is running,and can drop oil level in tank very quickly.When removed from sump i can get anwhere from 150ml to 300ml.return to tank looks strong,and have replaced pump and checked for foreign material many times,with still the same result-wet sumping.Sometimes on start up bike will blow oil,soot out pipes then clears,this is consistent to the oil level dropping in the tank. Plugs are good, not oily and bike runs strong with good compression.I did remove oprv,and thought that the piston was stuck,so cleaned and replaced,but with no joy.I am not blowing oil out of breather,and it seems to be breathing normally,and there are no massive oil leaks either.I don't have a oil pressure gauage to test,so I'm wondering what my next move is.Becoming very frustrating,and I hoping I'm missing something simple.
ANY idea's appreciated ! cheers Hendo

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
TT Generally a reduction in oil level in tank,I am not having billowing plumes of smoke out the pipes that i can see while riding,or out the breather.Stuart,I haven"t run without filter,but have wondered about its role in this ?the return to the tank seems strong, maybe you could shed some light ?
cheers Hendo

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
like TT says if it drops and stays at a steady level it might be OK --- I thought it was normal to have a small amount of oil in the sump ?

·
Super Moderator
8,659 Posts
Hi Hendo,

haven"t run without filter,but have wondered about its role in this ?
maybe you could shed some light ?
I have only one bike with a filter in the return line - a Tri-Cor England kit with a triple filter element; no problems so far with that so far. :thumb

In suggesting trying without the filter, I was using "diagnosis by elimination" (doctors tells me they use it too :whistle).

However, as I was writing this, it also occurred to me - have you considered that some of any large quantity of oil in the sump might be draining out of the filter when the engine (and scavenge pump) stop, and any "drop" in the tank level is because scavenged oil is refilling the filter before it can to return to the tank, while the feed side of the pump is still drawing from the tank?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know if this will be any help but have had a few thoughts. Make sure that the oil filter is in the return line and do not overfill the oil tank. My 1970 T120 does not like to be overfilled. If I remember correctly the correct amount of oil is like 2 to 2.5 quarts. You should check and make sure this is the right amount but it should be close.

·
Super Moderator
8,659 Posts
Hi Bob,

If I remember correctly the correct amount of oil is like 2 to 2.5 quarts.
Uh-uh, 3 quarts. With my triples, I reduce to ~2.5 quarts if I ride one when it's cold, so the oil circulates more often and sits in the tank for less time, but that's about the only time.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi Stuart,again, i wondered about the filter and lines oil dropping away,but the filter i use is a champion 101,i was under the impression that they had a non return in the filter itself ? Bob, the oil tank cap has a dipstick on it,so i never overfill it according to the marks on it

·
Super Moderator
13,397 Posts
The oil blowing/burning may have NOTHING to do with the oil pump allowing the tank to bypass.

The is NOT an issue while a bike is running. The oil level dropping while running is normal, due to all the extended oil lines having to fill up with oil.

Relocate the oil filter low, as it should be. You don't want the pump to have to work against head pressure involved with several inches of elevation on a full-sized oil line.

While in the course of relocating, bypass the filter, plumb the bike with the standard hose sections/lengths, and test that indeed all is well.

If it's still blowing/burning/puffing oil, you need to dismantle and carefully inspect the top end.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GrandpaulZ,forgive me but,,are you saying that each time after bike has been sitting,once the bike has been started oil return's back into the all the extended oil lines of the filter therefore dropping the oil tank level? then settling to a normal level ? regards the possibility of checking the top end,plugs look good, not oily, as said only smokes occasionally on start up,compression hot and cold around 170 on both cylinders,I probably should have mentioned bike was rebuilt around 3000 miles ago. cheers Hendo .

·
Super Moderator
13,397 Posts
There is always the POSSIBILITY that oil pump and/or oil filter check valves are "hanging" on a chunk of debris.

Take the filter out of the equation, and ride the bike a few days and see what the BIKE / ENGINE / OIL PUMP are doing. If all is well, your filter is the problem. If still wet sumping significantly, the oil pump is your problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After waiting for the weather to clear, I removed the oil filter and re-plumbed as per normal,noticed a immediate response to this, with the oil tank level lifting, and no drop in the oil level once bike started as stated in my previous posts oil returning strong to the oil tank, My question would now be, why would the spin on oil filter be causing this ? and has anyone else experienced these symptoms ?
Many thanks,Hendo.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
After waiting for the weather to clear, I removed the oil filter and re-plumbed as per normal,noticed a immediate response to this, with the oil tank level lifting, and no drop in the oil level once bike started as stated in my previous posts oil returning strong to the oil tank, My question would now be, why would the spin on oil filter be causing this ? and has anyone else experienced these symptoms ?
Many thanks,Hendo.
If there is a check valve in the oil filter unit, plumbing it backward will cause your wet-sumping issue.
Russ 998cc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts