Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for those who may visit Tasmania in the near future and want to enjoy some great bike roads, terrific scenery and friendly locals.

If you are thinking of riding Tasmania in the near future do not forget the west coast. I have riden in most mainland Australian states and there are only a few roads to match Tazzies unfortunately two of the best roads in the state and some others nearly as good frequently get overlooked because no one seems to know they are here.

SO GO WEST YOUNG MAN !!!

When you arrive in Devonport head out toward Queenstown either via Burnie or Cradle Mountain then which ever way you travel get set for sweeping bends and little traffic.

My major reccomendations are:

(1) the road from Tullah via Lake Plimsol to Queenstown which starts about 3 kilometres south past the village (stop off at the village store for good food and drinks) the road is about 40 km long through some great scenery. Then turn left toward Queenstown and into Strahan (National Wilderness area) or continue onto Hobart.

(2) the second road is a little longer and starts just north of Tullah and travels around Reece Dam to Zeehan. 90 km of great scenery. a combination of tight twisties and open curves with very little traffic. From Zeehan you can continue into Strahan or turn left and pick up the road to Queenstown and Hobart.

Just a word of caution the west coast gets black ice most of the year particularly in sheltered gullies and it's frequently wet, (for some inexplicable reason mainlanders think it's a trifle cold too) mind the leaf litter after a storm and take care.
DON"T BE PUT OFF BY THE WARNING IT REALLY IS A GREAT PLACE ON A BIKE.

If you come into Strahan all of the accommodation is bike friendly and theres great food at either of the pubs.

Anyone in the area look for a black and red 900 Trident with a rather large rider. (me) say gooday and I'll ponit you in the right direction for a good holiday.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks GG. I can endorse your recommendations.

My club toured Tassie in Feb. and had a ball - great roads, great scenery, friendly folk, not too many cars.

In 8 days we only had one wet one and that was on the East coast as it happens.

But there's one bend between Strahan and Queenstown - beware!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ST- ern

just the one bend ???

ST I think we met, I am a local copper at Strahan and remeber some of the faces in your photos.

If you head back this way at any time let me know and maybe we can meet up for a ride

Stay safe

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hehe GG, you're making me nervous!

Nah, not really. I only ride fast when it's safe to do so, yer 'onnor.

Yes, just the one bend ... decreasing radius. I'd been warned there was one like that, thought I'd found it and powered on. Uh huh? Close inspection of the cable barrier on the wide side. Serious woops.

(Been told the wire came from the Melb cable trams when ripped up for the 'lectric).

Edit: this was on the road East out of Q'town, but I guess you worked this out.

Thanks for the invite btw. The club comes out every two years, so maybe in '07.

[ This message was edited by: ST-ern on 2005-10-27 23:33 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts