Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 98 Tbird motor up for sale on ebay. I am thinking of picking it up to replace the motor in my 95 to preclude the sprag clutch problem (so far so good, but I am guessing that it is just a matter of time.) If the 98 was a six speed that would seal the deal. I plan on keeping the Tbird indefinitely (probably just have it buried with me) so am thinking I should deal with the sprag clutch before it becomes an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
My 98 is a 5 speed, although that was about the time they changed. If it is a late one, it could be a six speed.

I think all the 6 speeds had chromed engine covers, the 5 speeds were bare alloy covers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
98 Tbirds

Dont do it, i have a 98 Tbird and the Sprag went at 13000 miles
98 birds are 5 speed only
I purchaced a 2001 6 speed with only 9000 miles on the clock
of Ebay for only £800 quid , dropped it straight in the bike
no probs , i now have no spag issues and more MPG
the bike will be buried with me also.

Regards, EDE

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
to my knowledge the sport models had the 6 speed. also , I thought the sprag problem was with earlier models only. please correct me if i'm wrong

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
to my knowledge the sport models had the 6 speed. also , I thought the sprag problem was with earlier models only. please correct me if i'm wrong
That is correct, if it is a Sport motor? The sprag issue was mainly with the early '96 motors and before, but you can fail latter ones with sufficient abuse....

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
5 or 6 no problem

As the owner of both a '98 Tbird with a 5 speed and a '98 T-bird Sport with a 6 speed, it's my opinion that there's no real value in the extra cog. The final drive ratios are very close...and the engine has a wide enough torque spread that you don't need to stay in a narrow rev. range. It's just extra shifting.

BTW..neither of my bikes has had a sprag clutch issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks guys, for the input. It looks like I'll keep the thou in my wallet for now and keep my eyes open for a later model to come available. As for the usefulness of the sixth cog, I am always looking for a higher gear on my TB when I am on the highway. I think I may need to add a tooth to the motor sprocket. It is funny, for thirty years we got a long fine with just four speeds. . . . .

Perhaps my desire for a sixth speed was a "keeping up with the Jones's issue."

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
it's my opinion that there's no real value in the extra cog. The final drive ratios are very close...and the engine has a wide enough torque spread that you don't need to stay in a narrow rev. range. It's just extra shifting.
The only times I find sixth gear of much use is when I am riding on the highway at speeds above 75 mph. for extended periods.

So really it is not that useful to me since I try to avoid the Interstate most of the time any way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts