Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have read in my recent post I was looking hard at the Tbird. While I really wanted another Triumph, the Tbird is a cruiser and I felt a bagger would better suite my needs right now. I thought hard about adding all the additional stuff to get it where I would want it, but in the end I chose a Victory Cross Roads which was already setup to meet my needs.

A few points that drove my decision:

• Configuration - The Victory came stock with hard bags, floor boards, and cruise control and is built as a bagger so everything fits well and looks good together.
  • Suspension - more travel and air adjustable suspension on the Vic
  • Size - Better storage and there's just more room on the Vic making it more comfortable
  • Gauges - didn't like to gauge position on the Tbird
  • Dealers - Couldn't find a Triumph dealer that was willing to make a deal I was comfortable with, they all wanted MSRP + shipping + documentation +setup, and there was no dealer close by for warranty work.
  • Warranty - got full 5 years on the Vic
  • Price - I got the Vic with 2k worth of accessories for cheaper than the best price I found on a stock Tbird

If my needs ever change and I'm riding more solo that two-up, or I decide to get a second bike, I'd love to own a Tbird, but for now I'm really enjoying the Victory.

While the Vic motor is not water cooled, it's no Harley motor either and has plenty of power and is very reliable from everything I've read. While it doesn't handle like a sport bike, it does handle surprisingly well considering the size.

Anyway, here's a couple pics

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did she come with it? Then your choice was an obvious one. :D

Seriously, you could have gone darker. That's a nice looking ride. Sounds like you got yourself a decent deal on a bike that will suit your needs better, and that's what matters most.

Best of luck, and hope you have many happy and safe miles on her (AND the bike)! :thumb

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bagger Bird?

Best of luck with the new bike..

Seems to me that Hinkley is loosing customers by not building a Touring Thunderbird. You voted Victory and good friend of my just got a Kawasaki Vaquero over a bird as it had the hard bags, cruise control, front fairing and a radio

Yes indeed the speedo placement on the Thunderbird is amazingly stupid in it's location.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I have a vic dlr around the corner from me and they are dealin. even so the baggers in the showroom took a huge jump in price compared to the hammer or judge. Was your bike N.O.S?. btw nice pics.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Best of luck with the new bike..

Seems to me that Hinkley is loosing customers by not building a Touring Thunderbird. You voted Victory and good friend of my just got a Kawasaki Vaquero over a bird as it had the hard bags, cruise control, front fairing and a radio

Yes indeed the speedo placement on the Thunderbird is amazingly stupid in it's location.
I started a thread on a niche for Triumph to fill with a Hard bag/tourpack Thunderbird . The Cross Country is now the best selling Victory model.Wake up Triumph and while your at it make a more durable black paint. What I like about a Harley is the choice and quality of their paint & chrome.
By the way beautiful Cross Country!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a vic dlr around the corner from me and they are dealin. even so the baggers in the showroom took a huge jump in price compared to the hammer or judge. Was your bike N.O.S?. btw nice pics.
Yes, fresh out of the crate.

It's a 2012 and the 2013's have hit the showroom and Victory is offering big rebates and incentives on past models.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
congrats, they're sharp bikes & get noticed on the road. I like seeing vic's on the road. I remember when harley's were the 1%'s and it was a treat to see & hear 1 coming. nowadays it's the other way around, Enjoy

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Nice ride. Enjoy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Darn good looking bike for sure. I'm probably gonna be buying a new bike within the next couple of months. There's a Victory dealer 20 minutes from me and I went in last fall when they had the demo ride 18 wheeler there - - the ones I drove weren't the bagger ones - I wasn't impressed with the ones I rode, BUT they weren't in the same category as the one you bought. Keep us posted on the bike - I'd be interested to see how you like it after a few miles. I have my heart set on a Thunderbird right now - but the money isn't on the counter yet, so we'll see. I do plan on looking closer at the Victory line and hopefully test riding one similar to yours.

That 5 year warranty is very attractive and dealer support as well. I really, and I mean really wish that Triumph had the network of dealers here - but then there would probably be a ton more of them on the road. I think that the uncommon Triumph is one thing that attracts some people ( myself included ) -- if Victory ever dominated the market as Harley does - I'd probably not even consider one !

At any rate - it's all good and you have yourself a fine machine !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice bike! I was leaning towards a Victory before I pulled the trigger on my Tbird. I just bought it about 4 weeks ago and I love it! I had a Victory Hammer and a Victory Touring Cruiser. I loved the Hammer, but sold it and kept the TC which was a mistake! I got bored with the TC and sold it. I considered just about every bike you can think of and finally settled on the Tbird - especially after I saw the red black marble haze paint job. Plus, I wanted something that no one else has. And I ride solo about 95% of the time. So, it works good for me. For 2 up riding, I think you picked a great bike...Enjoy it!

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Victory X-Roads and X-Country were my first choice. I couldn't get the deal you obviously got so I settled for the TBird at a much lower cost and have been very happy with it to date. Clearly your salesperson (perched upon the bike in your photo) would have swung my deal in the Victory favor as well regardless of cost. Great Choice!! No regrets, ride on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts