Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a really nice shope here in san diego that recently moved a new location and to celebrate held a group ride this past sunday. They are primarily a Ducati shop, and also sell Aprillia, Moto Guzzi and Husqvarna. There were about 20 bikes on the ride, almost all Ducatis (a few 1098, a multistrada, some other ducati models and a lot of monsters mostly 1100), an Aprillia, and i was the only Triumph. all of the guys there were really nice and welcoming, and i received a ton of compliments on the thruxton, especially on the sound of the bike with the predators. one guy who was behind me in the twisties came up nest to me at a stopping point and told me he just loved the sound of the bike when i twisted the throttle. a few guys there were amazing riders and it was amazing to see how far some of those guys lean over on the twisty turns, but i felt like i held my own on the Thruxton (most of their bikes were running front tires close to the width of my rear!) the new fork springs and 15w oil performed wonderfully, and i leaned the bike over further than i had before and could take turns a little bit faster. held my own in the twisties with the majority of the riders aside from a few that were obviously guys who raced and were on top of the line sport bikes and full leathers.

one thing i have to say is i have a new appreciation for the ducatis. they just seem like quality machines and they come set up really nice from the factory. doesnt really seem like they need much as far as mods or replacing parts because they come with really nice stuff. it looked like most guys had aftermarket exhaust and that was it. i am a new fan of the look of the new monster, and eventhough i am not a sport bike fan you cant help but think the 1098 and 1198 are sick bikes, but i still dont like the sport1000. there was a guy there who had a silver paul smart sport1000 and that bike was nice though.

i still dont think i would ever buy a ducati because it doesnt suit my personality, but if you are in san diego and are in the market for one GP motorsports seems like a great shop (i dont have any association with them, just like helping out a local business). they mounted a rear sport demon for me and also had rebuild kits in stock for my neighbors '72 Dresda Bonneville. thought it was pretty cool that they had that stuff in stock!

the ride was just over 150 miles and the majority of it was super twisty roads. it was an amazing ride and cant wait to do it again!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't hate Ducatis -- and I largely agree with your opinions here. I have to say, though, it is surprising to me that the engine layout on Ducatis isn't more widely thought of as being ugly. Maybe it shouldn't or doesn't matter, but an L-shaped twin leaning forward just isn't visually appealing to me in any way. I can't think of any engine layout that bothers my eye as much. I can deal with Guzzis, BMW boxers, inline engines like a Rocket, and pretty much anything else I've ever seen -- but that tripping forward L just drives me nuts.

Obviously this is a matter of taste.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
sbpark, you are one fortunate individual to be living in San Diego. You've got unbelievably good roads right out of town AND those great roads link to others without the need to get on freeways! They can keep Ojai, Angeles Crest, the canyons of Malibu - give me the bottom chunk of California any day! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a 900SS Ducati along with a Honda GB500, BMW R100CS, and a Yamaha FJ1200 while stationed in San Diego in the early 90s. Then I met my soon to be wife, sold all the bikes and moved to Wisconsin. Sometimes I stay up late at night and look at the pictures...........:brick:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I had a 900SS Ducati along with a Honda GB500, BMW R100CS, and a Yamaha FJ1200 while stationed in San Diego in the early 90s. Then I met my soon to be wife, sold all the bikes and moved to Wisconsin. Sometimes I stay up late at night and look at the pictures...........:brick:
You done seriously f'ed up boy :D Juust joking, of course.

No I'm not.:)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice review sb. Can you elaborate on why Ducati's don't fit your personality? The reason I ask is Ducati makes all kind of bikes from a hotrod version of our bikes aka GT1000 to one of the greatest sport bikes ever...the 1098 and many different iterations of the monster which is a high performance naked. Why don't they resonate with you?
George

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice review sb. Can you elaborate on why Ducati's don't fit your personality? The reason I ask is Ducati makes all kind of bikes from a hotrod version of our bikes aka GT1000 to one of the greatest sport bikes ever...the 1098 and many different iterations of the monster which is a high performance naked. Why don't they resonate with you?
George
george-

i am not really a sport bike guy. never really been attracted to the crotch rockets at all. i know i will get bashed for this, but it's kind of like going out and buying a corvette or other really expensive sports car. what are you trying to prove or make up for?! and i am going to go on a limb and say that the overwhelming majority of guys who own those bikes cant even ride that bike anywhere near the bikes limits, or will be in a situation on the street where you can even do that, so what's the point. like i've stated before, i still haven't pushed my thruxton to it's limits, and everytime i go out i can rail on it and feel what it's capable of instead of wondering what it can do. to me, bikes like that just belong on the track, but as i say, that's my opinion and to each his own. regardless, they are gorgeous bikes, just not my cup of tea, and i dont like the way they sound (i know a lot of people like the dry clutch but to me it sounds awful) and the sport1000 is ugly in my opinion, and its more uncomfortable than my thruxton. the lines just dont flow on that bike. to me it's like they designed the tank to look nice and then everything else on it was an afterthought made around the tank. that said the new monster design is really nice, but if i was in the market for a bike like that hands down it would be a street or speed triple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can appreciate both. I really enjoy the time I spend on British Iron, but I can't help missing the torrid affair I had with my little red Italian friend.

I had a 2001 996 before I was married (man that seems like a lifetime ago), I loved that bike! By far the best bike I've ever ridden, everything on it worked better than you expected. It made me look good. I'm no racer, but I did some track days and I outran a lot of guys on jap fours that were probably better riders than I was. It came from the factory with Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes, like you said, just buy some aftermarket exhaust that suit your noise thresh-hold and you're set.

I had a Daytona for a while, but I never really connected with that bike. It was nice, and I loved the sound of the triple, but it wasn't sexy like the Duc. More importantly, it just wasn't as user friendly (not talking ergonomics here). The power delivery, front end feel, and the stopping power just weren't telepathic the way the 996 was. It never inspired the confidence level the Duc gave me.

The Bonnie is a different world. It is perfectly happy taking in a lazy back road, but when I want to push, its limits are closer to my own. I can feel like I'm doing something without risking my license. I love the Bonnie too and it suits my needs better, but I still miss the 996.

JB

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts

After reading your post I am sitting in a corner of the room with my knees up to my chest rocking back and forth and I am sort of crying.....:jiggy:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
........and say that the overwhelming majority of guys who own those bikes cant even ride that bike anywhere near the bikes limits, or will be in a situation on the street where you can even do that, so what's the point.
Of course they wont be ridden to their limits!! (And Im not just talking top speeds)
But thats not the issue! Nor the point!!
As with most bikes, its not the bikes limit which will be reached while riding, either on the road or on the track, its the riders!!!
Bikes limits, and wether or not we attain them, have very little to do with their appeal or to choosing to own one.

But maybe im biased!!................

PS.... I'm sure the majority of your new Ducatisti friends would have been happy to read your first post.

Not sure about the second one tho!!

And as for.....

.....what are you trying to prove or make up for?!
Answer: Absolutely nothing!!

V.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
jb...as you say each of us is different. Have to say I find it a bit incompatible to not like sport bikes and yet own a Thruxton. A cafed bonnie or thrux is really the bike that started the sport bike genre. By contrast, I love sport bikes...certainly more than cruisers by contrast even though I am not an accomplished rider by any stretch. I believe the Bonny exceeds my capability as a rider and so can relate somewhat to why have even more performance but don't believe this should preclude others from buying a higher performance bike if they like.
Sport bikes aren't comfortable for me and as you correctly say, they are really race bikes ridden on the street and are more at home on the track. That is not to say they aren't great to ride however if one can endure that riding position. Also, many like to use their single motorcycle as dual purpose, street and track. You also mentioned there where those in the Ducati group that could outride you. Perhaps some would not be happy with the performance of the Thruxton. I see this from time to time on Ducati boards. Are they worthy of riding a Ducati and not others? Btw, the only reason I didn't buy a Thruxton and not my new Bonny is the riding position...I really like the Thrux but believe it is too aggressive a postion for the street. When I trail brake, down shift and lean over, I can still put my weight on the front wheel of my stock Bonnie and get over the tank which I do all the time...just prefer not to ride that way all the time. As to Duc's and performance...no question all the new go fast bikes...and this includes the Speed and Street trip...are overkill on the street. But as Ventura said, that isn't really reason not to own one if that is what you want. I believe the Busa for example is way too much power but don't begrudge those that have a taste for it who may like to take it to the drag strip on ocassion and let it out. I agree with you on the dry clutch. Not a fan either. But Ducati makes a lot of wet clutch bikes including the GT1000which is what some believe the Bonneville should be in terms of acceleration, braking and handling...and with a std. riding position if not slightly more aggessive than a std. Bonneville.

The last issue is a subject contested on many a message board. You used the Corvette analogy. There are many similar. I am passionate about cycling...as in bicycle variety...rode 30 miles last night in fact. I am no spring chicken nor in racing shape but good shape for an old guy and can keep up with a lot of 20-30 somethings that aren't top racers. I ride an expensive road bike that is a notch down from a tour de france race bike that I built from scratch...component by component to my specs. On cycling forums, they may call a guy like me a poseur because I have a bike that exceeds my riding capability. I say line up whatever bike you own and lets see who is posing. No I am not faster than everybody out there but certainly many that ride. To me, it isn't the skill level as much as it is appreciation for fine machinery. Same with Corvettes, Porsches, BMW's etc and I have owned all of them. I love Ducatis. I would say most of the new bigger displacement bikes are overkill. I get why average riders like Ducatis...they stir the soul...the Ferrari of motorcycles.
George

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lets just end this right now, because the post has gone in a direction that i didnt want it to, and was hesitant to post that second post because i knew it would go in this direction. my intent was just to relay my experience that day and observations of how friendly and welcoming those guys were and given it was the first time that i spent any amount of time riding with people with ducatis and seeing them up close for an extended period of time it gave me a new appreciation for these bikes and they are truly works of art, just like our bikes, but in a different way.

the real way i should have responded in my second post was to say, it's just not my thing. it's just a matter of personal taste and not gone into details because it's just a matter of personal taste. i just couldn't do a ducati justice and would feel like a cump rolling around on an expensive bike like that and not represent. thats the other reason i dont have a speed triple, but can still admire them!

and i disagree with the poster about it being contradictory to like a thruxton but not be a fan of modern sport bikes. yeah, i know our style of bike is a distant relative of the modern sport bike, but since then modern sport bikes have evolved into their own. it's like saying you cant understand why the guy who has the has an old restored muscle car from the 60's cant stand the WRX's and EVOs. they share the same blood line but are worlds apart. i simply just wanted to post that i had a great time and think the ducatis are beautiful bikes (except the sport classics!)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think you should have stuck with your Corvette analogy. A thruxton ain't an old muscle car. A thruxton is an old sportcar...say an early 911. Modern sport bikes aren't the WRX either...more like newer sportscars...pick one...not a sports sedan. You just don't like sport bikes which is OK...just seems obtuse to me for a guy who likes the thruxton doesn't like the genre of sport bikes. I am not a big Harley fan. I believe the genre of our bikes is closer to that of sport bikes...aka the handling and displacement...even though they are a bit slower and naked.
The biggest difference between you and me is what Ventura referred to. I would have no issue whatsoever owning a Ducati...no matter how much it cost or how close my riding capability matched the bike.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I had a monster 750 years ago in Oz which certainly had the 'it' factor. It was a blast to ride and got lots of attention as Dukes were not common. I was surprised to see how many Ducatis there are in California - often someone will walk past a row of the latest and greatest from Italy to look at my simple Thruxton. I would not ever try to keep up with the latest Ducati on a good road owing to their significantly more sophisticated suspension and braking capabilities (stating the obvious) however much of the time Ducati riders must be frustrated riding on poor quality roads which are heavily policed. To me, Thruxton's, with some modding, have the right mix of character, looks and capabilities that can be fun on less-than-race track quality roads

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
biker7-

i wasnt comparing a muscle car to a thrux or a wrx to a ducati, just making a seperate comparison, but obviously you are way more into motorized vehicles than i am to nit-pic my analogy! maybe you will aprrove of this one and will be more appropriate: some people prefer snap-on tools over craftsman. both get the job done, are of great quality, but one tool is way more expensive and you can definately see that when you look at them both.

aussiemat-

i liked your post. you pretty much summed it up perfectly.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
...... my intent was just to relay my experience that day and observations of how friendly and welcoming those guys were

.......the real way i should have responded in my second post was to say, it's just not my thing. it's just a matter of personal taste and not gone into details because it's just a matter of personal taste.
Without wishing to cause agitation, but to further discuss the issue, I feel your second post moved on a little from your initial observations and your declarations that the Ducs dont float your boat.

As you say, to each his own. Its all down to personal taste!!

BUT

In stating......

...........what are you trying to prove or make up for?!

...........the overwhelming majority of guys who own those bikes cant even ride that bike anywhere near the bikes limits, or will be in a situation on the street where you can even do that, so what's the point.

...........to me, bikes like that just belong on the track
You moved on to basically criticise and question those who do regard the Duc as their chosen ride.

Personally I have an attraction to both types of bikes and am lucky to own one of each.
These two bikes are just about from the opposite ends of the biking spectrum, but nonetheless supply enjoyment and satisfaction in equal measure, but for very differing reasons.

Personal opinions on types and makes of bikes are fine to be publicly voiced.
Questioning the reasoning, ability or rationale of those who own them may be not.

V.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am over this post. i was asked for my opinion and i gave it, and then the guys who own ducatis come out and feel like they have to defend their bikes. cracks me up. and even if you go back and read my post i said, "remember, this is just MY opinion!"

i am going to get off the computer now and actually go ride my bike today on the great twisty roads here in socal instead of getting into a pissing match over this when all i wanted to do was share my experience and a great ride. have fun!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
biker7-

i wasnt comparing a muscle car to a thrux or a wrx to a ducati, just making a seperate comparison, but obviously you are way more into motorized vehicles than i am to nit-pic my analogy! maybe you will aprrove of this one and will be more appropriate: some people prefer snap-on tools over craftsman. both get the job done, are of great quality, but one tool is way more expensive and you can definately see that when you look at them both.
A good analogy...and fits for me...Craftsman versus Snap on guy here. :p
As to you being over with this thread. Don't fret about it sb...seriously. You are obviously passionate about your bike or you would just be riding it and not posting here and if you do post here keep in mind your words will forever be twisted and you will be misquoted and misunderstood. Kinda like life ;)
When you do post...don't expect uninimity. Doesn't exist here or anywhere and the purpose to to try and understand each other and maybe take an undeserved shot once in a while. I do get what you mean about Duc's being a bit exotic and why I also chose a Bonny versus the GT1000 I also considered so we are on the same page.
Ride safe and never take your ball and go home like some do. That's no fun.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
lets just end this right now, because the post has gone in a direction that i didnt want it to, and was hesitant to post that second post because i knew it would go in this direction. my intent was just to relay my experience that day and observations of how friendly and welcoming those guys were and given it was the first time that i spent any amount of time riding with people with ducatis and seeing them up close for an extended period of time it gave me a new appreciation for these bikes and they are truly works of art, just like our bikes, but in a different way.
Yeah, you got sucked in, your words were twisted around, and you got put on the defense...I hate when folks do that!

Personally, I've recently owned both a ducati monster and my current triumph thruxton...the duck got walking papers after a bit more than a year. I've owned the thruxton going on 3 years & plan on keeping her for the foreseeable future. Nuff said.

Enjoy today's ride.

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 20 of 34 Posts