Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it isn't a Triumph. And not a Beemer. It's a Honda. (go easy on me, guys)

I've been wanting a pure touring bike ever since I got rid of my K-LT bike several years ago. When I received a mailer from a local multi-brand dealer about them having a brand new 2005 ST1300, I thought I'd stop by and look. To my relief, I saw the ST sitting on the floor with a "sold" sign on it. OK, that's the end of this. Or so I thought. They had three of the things .... all 2005 models, all red. So not much of an emotional 'gotta have it' choice ... more like making a new work car purchase. Nothing like the feelings I had when I purchased my 2003 T100 in Lucifer Orange and Silver.

But what turned me on (aside from the price) was the thought of loading this 125 hp, V4 powered machine to the max .... it comes with removable hard bags, rear rack, and a 7.5 gallon fuel tank, and aiming it toward the Western US, torching off a few tanks and 700 miles in a day, no problem.

I have to say, my Bonnie did such a wonderful job this past spring of carrying me and a ton of baggage for nearly 5,000 miles, I'll probably take her on another trip like that sometime in the future. But I think I'd rather use up a beauty like the Bonnie closer to home, and reserve the droning four lane trips out West for the Honda.

Now the problem is .... can I make myself sell off the 1991 BMW R100GS and the 2000 W650? I love riding both these bikes, but insurance, tires, and routine maintenance will be a killer on four bikes. And the GS has 102,000 miles on her, and the W is at 52,000. Something's gotta give sometime. Plus the neighbors think I'm totally nuts, driving an 8 year old Audi A4 with 150,000 miles while I continue to add motorcycles to the garage. (I question it sometimes myself).

Question - anyone on this site own an ST1300 or spent any saddle time on one?

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-12-01 17:59 ]

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that was on one. He said they're heavy as hell and awful in strong wind, but that he liked it ok.

It sounded like he didn't like it, he said it was the worst bike in the wind he'd ever had. I don't know if that was his unique experience, that's just what he told me.

Maybe try to test ride it on a windy day?

sounds like you found a good deal.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Sweat - I know the feeling of high cross winds on a full faired bike. It's kind of like trying to ride a sail down the highway. The weight won't bother me .... it's about the same as a couple of my older K bikes (Newer Beemers are coming in a bit lighter).

I don't think I'll ever be as enamored with the ST as with my smaller Brit and Brit style bikes .... but like most machines I've owned, I learn to appreciate them for their good features. Those sometimes take time to discover. But I'm a patient guy, with lots of time (I'm retired) to figure out another bike from a different manufacturer. Actually looking forward to it.

Bob

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I myself am not a fan of those kind of bikes. But if i were to like them i'd wait for the rocket tourer. Have you considered that? 150HP/150 Lbs of toruqe....mmmm.......thats the way i'd go. Plus, nothing against hondas, but wouldn't you rather have that triumph badge on the tank? :wink:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daz - I think I'll like the ST1300 because it is much like what I'm already familiar with, the BMW K bikes. I've got over 300,000 miles on Beemers, and nearly 2/3 of that is on four cylinder K bikes. If they hadn't climbed up in price to near $20K, I'd probably have gone with one of their new rides.

So, price and a three year unlimited mileage warranty drove much of this decision, plus most of the writeups comparing the ST with similar bikes (K GT and FJR 1300) seem to feel it offers excellent performance for price.

Re the logo ..... they'll be other bikes in the garage in the future with Triumph logos on the tank. Just not this time. Gotta spread the wealth, or lack thereof!

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bob,
I was looking @ the FJR but hadn't compared the ST to it. They both look like functional & fun machines. I would like to take all those ponies for a test ride but I decided that it would have to wait 'till next year. There was a '03 FJR with 1500 mi. on ebay that sold for $8050 in central OH. I think it might get relisted because of a non-payer. Let us know how it rides, someday I'd like a mistress.

Rick

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crack - I'll have an opportunity to road test my ST and an FJR when my riding buddy from Ann Arbor and I get together in the spring. He just bought a nice, barely used '05 FJR.

Bob3592 - thanks for the web link. There's a couple of really good review of the ST on there. After the T100, it's kind of like trying to get excited over a Buick Roadmaster, but hey, everything has it's season. I'm excited over the thought of having this Buick of a Bike in the garage when I want to load up and head West.

Bob

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had an '03 and never could get the ergos to work for me. But the biggest problem were the OEM tires.....they were not sticky enough.....great for Interstates but pitiful on 2 lane black tops. Combine those tires with NO road feel, NO wind blast(even at 125mph) and you have a dangerous combination.

I once found myself about 1 foot from going off the road, on the LEFT side, in a right hand sweeper.....luckily no-one was coming my way.....when I glanced at the speedo, I was doing 105.....that after scrubbing off speed in a 2 wheel drift.

I sold the bike the next week.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kliff - hopefully the ergos will work for me. I know the feeling of not being able to get a bike quite right .... I've owned a few Beemers that just didn't fit me. Unfortunately, you just don't know until you spend considerable saddle time on a bike. Having said that, bikes like the W650 and T100 do fit me quite well. Seat of the pants in the showroom (not a good ergo test) showed me that the seat to handlebar distance on the ST was less than my older Beemer K bikes, and that'll be a good thing in my case.

I'll keep an eye out for the handling characteristics of the stock tires. I think it comes with Dunlops ... don't know the model. A fellow who teaches MSF courses and rides an ST said Avon Azaro tires made the ST a totally different and better-handling bike.

Bob

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yup......Avon came out with those about a month after I sold mine......
I tried the stock seat with risers on the bars, Corbin seat with and without risers....just never got it right. GREAT bike fo I/S work if it fits you.....I rode through a rain storm for about 50 miles, at 70mph with no rain suit........my elbows and toes got wet, with very little rain even hitting my helmet, w/s, fuul up. I've never ridden a bike before or since that can keep you that dry, albeit on the hwy with no slowing or stopping.

I hope it works for you....cause it is a sweet bike.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bob, please give a ride report either way the test goes.

yada yada yada...master card

bike shopping...PRICELESS!

Good Hunting!

BobW

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2006-12-01 07:23, bobw3592 wrote:
Bob, please give a ride report either way the test goes.

yada yada yada...master card

bike shopping...PRICELESS!

Good Hunting!

BobW
Bob3592 - this isn't a test, it's the real thing. I'm picking up the ST next week, if there isn't snow on the ground! Once we get back into reasonable weather (maybe on this bike the hi 30s?), I'll post a report for anyone who's interested. Later on, I'll have an opportunity to compare the ST with the FJR1300, when I catch up with my Ann Arbor riding buddy.
Tests have usually backfired on me. I jump on a test bike and ride for half an hour, love it buy it, then later on wonder what possessed me! Other times I purchased a bike unridden, based on the testimony of a fellow rider who's judgement I respect. The R100GS is a case in point. Bought the bike, absolutely hated it for the first 1000 miles. Then, like magic while out riding one day, the bike and I meshed, and I began to enjoy it. That was April of 1991, 102,000 miles ago. I may sell her now, but she'll be missed, in large part because of the memories and the friends we rode with.

I never know how a bike is going to work out for me until we're together for a while.

Bob

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Bob,
I have long wished to get an ST. A few years back, I did some serious comparisons between the ST11, the K11, and the Concours. Both the K11 and the Concours had a serious high center of gravity when compared to the ST11. The Honda and the Kawi felt a little thick around the middle and the Beemer did have some snob-factor, but I have to say that out of the three the ST was the bike I wanted to buy. A parting of ways with my wife precluded the purchase, but I've maintained my interest in the ST-series of Hondas ever since. By all accounts and by my dated research, I think you've made a wise choice. At the end of a 600 mile day you won't miss the GS or the W650 one bit...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey Bob, what a neat early X-Mas present. Choosing a bike to move out has to be tough. The trips made on the BeeM must have a value that is truly priceless. 650 is a neat bike to collect. Bonnie is serving you well.... of course you could sell the Audi.

Honda defined UJM and for gas, oil, check the tires and go trips, she should be perfect for what you described the tool you wanted for this job to be. I know they made a police model from this platform that was a very good performer and handled well amongst the traditional HD, BMW and Kawi offerings.

Safe travels.
BobW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.