Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember a post about my crash a while back. It's been in the shop about a month. Now my claims adjuster is saying it's totaled.
New bike for me? Am I going to lose out on this deal? I had put a lot of money into it. At least a couple grand. I have receipts for all the things I added.
The accident was not my fault.
For those of you who've had the joyous experience of totaling your bike, how did it turn out with the insurance company? Did you end up losing money in the end?
Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Hi, Colonel - unless your policy (or the at fault party's) provides coverage for accessories, who knows? If the extra $$ was in accessories, you might be able to recover some of it. If it was in service charges (rejetting, etc) it'll be harder to recover. However, if your bike was an 06 and was totaled, you're better off with a new bike. I can't recall the particulars of your damages, but it seems the bike was pretty beat up. Maybe a bent frame? When a bike is that badly damaged, I have a hard time believing the shop can/will put it back together again so that it's good as new .... which your bike was.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, we'll have to see. I did all the work myself, so there are no shop charges.
First it was going to be repaired, now their saying it's totaled. I hate this insurance b.s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Colonel_Dorkus

You should have first choice to buy it back for what ever the insurance company gets for a bid, you need to contact them and ask about that. My little car (work car) was hit by a town truck where I worked and that's what they did. I bought it back (never stopped driving it) for $245.00 and also got a check for $4500, now a year later still have the little black S*** box. You should be able to buy it back and take what ever you can off it then sell what you can on e**y

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
If you got chrome etc they pay jets etc... not likely? Can you buy the wreck from the ins co cheap?? If so - do it!! Bummer bout the bike but the next one will be better esp. if you got the old one for parts!! :) :cool:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Aaron,

That's an easy one... ANYTIME you have to file an insurance claim you're gonna end up on the short end of the stick. Particularly if you're claiming against a new vehicle. Nothing depreciates like a new motor vehicle! :mad:

Sorry to break the bad news. But, It's happened to me twice in my four-wheel rides. Once in 1989 and again in 2000. I had put something like $2000 down each time and had made one or two payments to the bank when the new trucks were totaled. I was determined to be at no fault both times. However, I lost my entire down payment(s) and still needed to buy another vehicle. :(

[ This message was edited by: road_dog on 2006-11-17 18:31 ]

·
Registered
46 Posts
whatever the insurance adjuster offers, if it's not enough, take it to arbitration with your reciepts and some typical figures for an equivalent bike on the open market. My landcruiser was totaled, and they offered me 1600, i took it to arbitration and ended up with 4900. they always try to low-ball you. good luck.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Of course the amount they compensate you is the deciding factor as to whether you get screwed or not. But the bigger issue to my mind is that i think even if you aren't compensated enough it's a GOOD thing they wrote it of ! So i think you actually got lucky there.

Personally, i feel any bike crashed badly enough to be even remotly close to possibly being considered a write off is not a bike i'd want even after repair. It just would not likely be exactly right ever again. And even if it was i'd never know and it wopuld always be in the back of my mind and i just couln't ever feel right aabout it again. You may not feel that way. But maybe you should consider that you may just be lucky they did this. I once had a car that was fixed after a bad accident where it was close to being written off. That car was never right again after that. With a bike i'd be even more worried.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Daz - couldn't agree with you more. When my GS was hit (backed into) by a truck/flatbed trailer, it took me over two years to get it back to where it operated like it had prior to the wreck. Colonel, I think you're fortunate that they totaled your ride. It may cost you a few bucks, but probably not nearly as much as you'd spend getting the wrecked bike fixed to your satifsaction (ultimately, the insurance company quits paying).

Bob

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad news. My 2001 was totaled by my insurance earlier this year and from my experience and most everyone else's I have ever heard from is any insurance company will try to screw you first. That's their job. Pay out as little as possible. My problem was a 2001 doesn't have alot of blue book value and when you start bending forks and frames the cost will skyrocket in no time. Extras are also tricky. Having receipts will help. Also check with your state law about buying it back. Illinois has a law that you can't buy back any totaled vehicle that is less than 10 years old. They call it the chop shop law. Suppose to prevent someone from intentionally totaling a vehicle, collecting a check, buying it back at a fraction of the cost, then selling it for parts. Or something like that. Sounds like one of those laws that the insurance lobby payed for.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
On 2006-11-18 23:12, Loxpump wrote:
Sfrom my experience and most everyone else's I have ever heard from is any insurance company will try to screw you first. That's their job.

So true. I once was hit by another dirver who made a very stupid and illegal move many years ago when insurance wasn't required and i had none. Yet tho he was totally at fault, his insurance company sent me a letter asking me to pay $2k for his damages. I simply sent them a letter expaining exacly why it was his fault and proved my point. They never contacted me again. Point is, they will try and get every penny they can but when it's obvious YOU are in the right they will back down right away. they just figure a lot of people are meek and will back down and live with thier loss. Push them ! right is right and there's no disputing the facts, and when confronted with the facts they will usually back down.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know what you mean. My America was written off, as they valued it at £4000 and the repairs were £3800.

I got and offer of £4000 and took it as I was fed up of the insurance BS and wanted (was desparate) to get back on my own 2 wheels. I bought the "salvage" back at £500 and I am looking at repairing it. I accept what you were all saying, but as I have a shiney new one to ride every day I'm in no rush and can take all the time needed to get everything as right as possible.
If it is really bad, I'll strip it down for parts.... I'd get the money back just for the engine... but from what I can tell, it's a goer for repairing.

However cos I was riding at the time it was hit....I got a personal injury claim going in, and I'm going for as much as possible! Loss of earnings, new lid (even though it wasn't hit) and general all round misery caused because of the smash. The fact they've settled over the bike - they've already admitted liability...

Insurance is *****... just need it.

I've since upped my insurance cover... cos the middle range cover I had was enough, but the higher level I have now would have saved me from half the sh!t I've put up with since the end of Sept when the crash happened.

I lost money - but only because the market for 2nd hand Americas is nigh on non-existant and so the only way to replace was to go new... :-D The accessories I took off. But I only really had a clock, sissy bar and pannier racks on. You would have to check your insurance policy small print to see if they are covered, I would suspect not. I'm having to fork out for a new alarm... I did argue about it, but they would not pay for it.

Hope that helps...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.