Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my BEAUTIFUL Thunderbird up this morning to get ready for my ride into work.

Took her out to the driveway like I normally do. Kept her in neutral, put the kick stand down and went inside to get my helmet and jacket.

I've done this many times before...

I come out and my ONCE beautiful Tbird is on the ground:mad:

My Twin T handlebars are bent. My gas tank is scratched and dented. My windshield is scratched. My running board is scratched and my British Custom pipes are scratched.

Oh For The Love Of God...

Upset I tell you, UPSET!

Anyone know of a reputable shop in the Northern Virginia area?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
OUCH....:eek: sorry to hear this...one reason why the first thing I get is an engine guard (or dresser bars) after seeing this happen to a friend. Do you have the dresser bars? If not, I recommend you get them because they are made for just such an incident.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Oh man....really sorry ! I know how that is ans how upsetting it is. I've had that happen, but not to a bike i loved as much as the tbird. hope you get it sorted ok. But look at the silver lining....you can get a custom paint job. It'll look awesome and unique.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to hear that news mate.....been there, done that, posted a thread about it back in July. A fella from Oz replied with:

"Anyhows..... ALL FORUM MEMBERS..... BE WARY OF THIS WITH THE T'BIRD STAND"

Seems the Birds are always a tad "tenuous" on the stands.....hope your bad news is yet another warning.

Main thing: no one got hurt, except the wallet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Happened to me,with the T/Bird being two weeks old !! $A4000 of damage. Dented tank,LH pipe,lever,indicator etc. Could have cried !! Was over a year ago and now very mindful of the terrain when parking the bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So what happened, did it roll and fold up or did the stand break? As far as the warning, I've never felt the bike to be unstable or "tenuous" on the side stand as long as I had it parked in a reasonable spot (as with any bike) or is the warning saying that the stands are somehow defective and can break?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my case,the road had an "ever so slightly" down hill gradient, I did not even notice it,as I know the perils of a sloping street. !! The side stand on the T/Bird is only slightly forward of centre and the wheel bearings are "very free". Prior to the T/Bird I had A T100 Bonnie and that stand went further forward. Also my Classic 1971 TR6R stand goes a long way forward. Finding a better parking spot and leaving the bike in gear is now second nature !

·
Registered
133 Posts
My feeling go out to you man... I to am interested in the cause. Was it soft ground/grass, did the stand fail?

I hope you have insurance with a reasonable deductible...

For the parts that are chrome not much you can do except replace them or live with it... The tank though is another story.

If you take the bike to the body shop and have them take it off, it will cost ALOT more than if you take the tank off and give it to them.

When I wanted to have my bike painted... they wanted $1500, if I took the parts off myself it was half that... and you keep your bike at home... instead of sitting outside in a lot somewhere...

If you decide to take it off... its a 10 min job... anyone can do it.

Keep everyone posted... any info you can post here may help prevent someone else from suffering the same mishap...

Ride safe...
hagatha

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have never done this myself,but know a bunch of guys who have,and it AIN'T FUNNY!!!.The only advice I could offer,is to shut the machine off and leave it in gear when she's parked on unlevel ground.That way she won't move fowards or backwards.And if she's parked on level ground,then it shouldn't make any difference as she shouldn't move.And when ya restart it,ya gotta pull the clutch lever in anyways,so it's really not an inconvenience.But it might just save ya from a repeat performance. Dave!!!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have never done this myself,but know a bunch of guys who have,and it AIN'T FUNNY!!!.The only advice I could offer,is to shut the machine off and leave it in gear when she's parked on unlevel ground.That way she won't move fowards or backwards.And if she's parked on level ground,then it shouldn't make any difference as she shouldn't move.And when ya restart it,ya gotta pull the clutch lever in anyways,so it's really not an inconvenience.But it might just save ya from a repeat performance. Dave!!!
+1 After owning 2 Harleys that are famous for having sensitive jiffy stands, I am very careful about parking my bike in neutral or letting it sit and warm up in neutral. The Tbird stand seems more stable than my last Dyna for sure but the price and aggravation to pay for having the bike roll over is not worth it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did it happen? I'm a dummy, that's how it happened. My driveway has a slope to it. Noticeable enough. I've parked the bike on the driveway before as it warmed up and I got my gear on. I guess this time however I was on part of the driveway that was TOO sloped.

Anyway, the adjuster came out today. They are considering it a comprehensive claim, which has only a 100 dollar deductable.

The floor board has a scratch that is more on the underside of it. The british customs pipes, on that side, have a scratch/scuff way at the back. The pipe is not bent. The end of the handlebar, mirror and end of the clutch lever are very scratched but all operational.

The only thing that concerns me and I don't know what this is - If I sit on the bike and make the forks perfectly straight, the handlebars look askew. If I pull the handlebars straight the forks look askew.

So, and I'll find out tomorrow I guess, I'm not sure if my handlebars are bent - forks are bent - or if the the main bolt that holds the front fork assembly to the frame is tweaked a bit and needs to be reset.

I rode the bike yesterday and it seemed fine.

I hope my forks are okay. I can't imagine them getting bent from simply falling over. However I guess stranger things could happen.

Damn it all to hell, I love that bike and was so disappointed at my stupidity.

Thanks for all the responses and care, we love our bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To answer the questions about rolling off the stand or the stand breaking, it was rolling. The stands SEEM rock solid. Dont know why, but they have a tendency to roll forward. I've been riding a long time and have parked all kinds of bikes on all kinds of surfaces. In my case, there was indeed a "slight" sloping gradient but certainly not enough that I would ever guess in a million years would roll the bike over. In my (sad) case, I actually watched it roll forward, lunged for it, and missed it by a nano second. My damage was limited to a completely toasted left side floor board, (sheered right off) and a smashed left running light. When I posted my story back in July, I got some responses saying it happened to them as well, hence the warning.

Engine off, parked in gear, both good plans. As is cranking the wheel hard right.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The thing is, these bikes are so heavy that even on a slight grade they can push the stand back. When happens is since the bottom of the stand is smooth theres nothing much to hold it still on a grade, and if the bike moves even a touch on a grade the weight won't allow anything to stop it. So the stand hits a slight grabby spot on the surface and the weight just rolls right thru and folds it up. I learned early on i can't set this bike on even a slight grade due to the weight. A bike this heavy scares the heck out of me because the damage that can potentially occur when 800 Lbs falls over can be seriously expensive.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Almost happened too me a while back. I went to shut the gate so I was getting off the bike and did not "deploy" the stand fully(wet shoes) and she started going down, I held her up but pulled my shoulder and back out out of joint. Damn this bike gets heavy when going down.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This was a while back,but I knew a couple guys who would forget to deploy their side stands when dismounting their machines.They got off the machine and CRASH!!! lol.And then one of the bones heads did it TWO more times after that.lol lol You'd think he would have learned after the first time.But NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! lol He was drivin a brandy new Harley Sportster [that is a customised Sportster after he dropped it the second time]. lol I think he was the guy keepin his favorite HD stealership in business.lol Dave!!!

·
Banned
468 Posts
I hope my forks are okay. I can't imagine them getting bent from simply falling over. However I guess stranger things could happen.
My TBird was in a parking space when a dimwit in a pickup backed into it and knocked it over. Thank God for Allstate. No questions, just replace everything that's even scratched.

My bars had the same problem and the only thing that would correct it was to replace the risers. You might be able to loosen them up from below and move them back into position, but they are kind of fragile and may need replacing.

Sit square on the bike, point the wheel straight ahead and line them up by getting both visually in the same position over the end caps on the fork tubes.

Thank you very much for sharing this. You will probably save a lot of riders from the same experience. HEY TRIUMPH, how about a warning in the manual?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Triumph do advise how to park safely, p34 & p48 in the Owner's Handbook. At the risk of provoking a hostile international exchange (it's always been an American who has responded towards me with RTFM) err, RTFM.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Triumph do advise how to park safely, p34 & p48 in the Owner's Handbook. At the risk of provoking a hostile international exchange (it's always been an American who has responded towards me with RTFM) err, RTFM.
Good points all and, as any American woman will tell you, REAL AMERICAN men don't read directions. Guilty as charged!

Seriously, part of the problem is that because of our damn lawyers and lawsuits they have to warn about so much nonsense and obvious stuff you feel like an idiot just trying to read it all. Do they really have to warn you not to use a match to check the fuel level?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts