Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take the triple out for a ride on Thursday. It was nice and cool and the sun started to go down. I decided to go for another spin when some teen made a left on me.

I hit the brakes hard and locked up the back....I knew not to let go of the back break and applied the front. At this point the bike started fishtailing out of control.

She hit her breaks and began to stop. Thankfully I came to a stop and lost control falling hard on the left side.

At that time the driver promptly applied gas and took off....Its ok, she happens to live three streets away, so I will be paying a vist to her parents some time this week.

I did not call the cops because I realized she would probably go to jail, call me a sucker but I don't think she is a bad person, she just made a bad judgement call.

I scratched my alternater cover, bent the clutch lever and busted my left turn signal. No radiator damage and the alternator is still working properly, I checked it with a voltmeter and its around the 14 to 14.5 Volt range, so its charging. There are also no leaks from the seals either, so maybe a little sandpaper and black paint will cure this issue.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
well guv, just a bad judgment call or not, the girl oughta pay fer her screw up. If nut'n else, make her sand the alt cover down and re-paint it for ya, in her bikini if she looks good!!! :-D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think a trip to meet her parents will do the trick. Just make sure they pay for the damaged stuff and they get the message through to her.

If they start defending her and refuse to pay, then a trip to the cops might be in order.

Capt.

[ This message was edited by: Captain_Rat on 2006-11-20 21:45 ]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2006-11-20 09:47, cheapbastard wrote:
well guv, just a bad judgment call or not, the girl oughta pay fer her screw up. If nut'n else, make her sand the alt cover down and re-paint it for ya, in her bikini if she looks good!!! :-D
Indeed, I believe she is 18+ so its legal right..... :razz:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Glad you are ok and there is no major damage. Keep us updated on the visit to the parents, I'm very curious to know what the say.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hell, 14+ is the legal age of consent in some states...

*vomit*

·
Registered
969 Posts
Good job in braking, that's just what to do, and it's easier said than done.

She may have thought that because she didn't get hit and she diddn't need to stay. If she end's up being a brat about though, i'll bet the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
14 in Idaho and Hawaii. (You can google anything these days)

Glad you made it through okay. Unless you're on really good terms with her folks, though, you oughta get the law involved. Nothing like having a uniformed officer show up at the door.

·
Registered
204 Posts
that's frick'n crazy. i think times are changing a bit. I was at the movie theater a few weeks ago and some 12 yr olds were just getting all over each other. i didn't know what the hell to think. I'm not sure if they were even 12. first they're making out right in front of the movie stand, and then they walked away fondling each other all over the place. it was kinda creepy.

as long as you're ok that's the main thing. I would have definitelly called the cops. it's your word against theirs now. i had a lady pull out in front of me at a stop light and i clipped her backend with my car. it was my first accident so i didn't really know what i was supposed to do. she said we didn't need to call the cops so we just got each others information. well, i went to put in the insurnace claim and they said that they had already recieved a claim saying that I ran a red light. F'n *****! luckily my car only had a scrape on my front bumper, while i completely caved in the entire rear end on her civic :)

[ This message was edited by: mnrider on 2006-11-20 13:41 ]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmm... Malibu:

1) Kids puts drugs in girl's water bottle -- no one calls cops and her parents don't press charges (happened at school)... don't want to ruin his life.

2) Kid caught cheating on SATs -- don't want to ruin kid's life, teachers won't mention on transcript. Gets into Ivy League School.

Really, list goes on and on. Call the cops NOW... so she doesn't kill someone next time. Really am sick of this attitude.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm really curious how the parents handle it, too. Unless the daughter comes clean, you're kinda screwed.

It seems most "small" accidents end up screwing over both parties. The insurance companies blames the other's insured and it goes no where because no one can prove anything.

This happened to me when a guy in the left hand lane suddenly decided he needed to be in the parking lot on the right. I was in the right hand lane and suddenly looking at the side of a Ford Expedition. Luckily i got the bike mostly stopped and only put a small dent in his door. The force was enough to get the bike over. I was left holding it 6" above the ground between my legs. I decided to go ahead and drop it instead of risking back injury.

When i'd called his insurance company, he was claiming that he was in the right (slow) lane and that i was trying to pass him on the right (between him and the curb) when he turned. Total BS, but no way to prove otherwise.

I've heard of people packing disposable cameras in their cars for accidents. I may do that for the bike, but i doubt i'd be able to get it out fast enough if they took off.

Not like anyone sticks around any more anyways. Here in Los Angeles, there's a report of someone getting run over every other day on the news. The drivers always take off. Only the big ones that make the news. I'm sure there's hundreds of lesser hit and runs daily that don't make the news.

[ This message was edited by: chisel on 2006-11-20 15:38 ]

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would have called the cops for sure, just to keep it all on the up and up. Dont count on her even admitting she knows what you are talking when you go to her house. She frikkin split, someone taught her that. I had a deal two years ago where two little nieghbor sheets broke into my barn and stole both my chainsaws. Tryed being nice and giving the thieving little fucks a chance to make things right. When i went to perp # 2 house his mom told me i should just call my insurance company and file a claim. Sat there lookin at each other for a few seconds before i told her i would be glad to do that, whipped out my cellphone and told her i would need a police report, get my drift? Tryed to do a righteous and......................... Call the cops. :cool:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If she's split and you call the cops it's still down to "he said, she said......" When something like this happens, find a witness, get their details, then call the cops. In Australia, leaving the scene of an accident without stopping and exchanging details is a serious offense.

Many a runner has ponied up and taken responsibility when faced with the threat of being charged with leaving the scene.

But the most important person is your witness!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would have left the bike on it's side in the middle of the street and called the police to come have a look. Now it's basically your word against hers that there ever was an accident..

For your sake I hope this young lady is "extra blond"..

·
Registered
969 Posts
On 2006-11-20 13:24, R100Pilot wrote:
14 in Idaho and Hawaii. (You can google anything these days)

Keep your pants on guys, let me explain this whole Age of consent terminology. In Utah the age of consent is 14 meaning that anyone under the age of 14 couldn't consent if they wanted to and if anything happened someone would be in serious (1-15 years ) trouble even if the other party "consented" After the age of 14 there are still penalties that apply until the age of 18 but the other party can consent. Essentially if one were to have sex with someone under 14 years of age it would be considered rape even if the girl said yes. The screwy part is- this still applies when both parties are under the age of 14.

Not that I thought y'all were gonna go and find some teenager somewhere, Just thought I'd share a bit of my knowledge on this site since I rarely get teh opportunity :-D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news,

Talked with her folks today and she fessed up to everything. Turns out that they contacted the police the next day after she came clean. I have to decide whether to press charges or not (probably won't). Her parents will cover the cost of my repairs. I am pretty sure of all the damage and I got a good friend that does motorcycle repair on the side, very reputable guy. This should save on some of the labor.

Now get me some pazzo levers...LOL.

I promise to have some pics of the damage posted tomorrow....It sounds worse than it looks :hammer:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds like they're basically decent people......lucky for you.

Make sure you get a new Alternator cover.....if the gravel rash is bad it would be difficult to repair so that it looks as good as new. Besides if the repair costs bite her a bit hard it will be a lesson well learned.

·
Registered
583 Posts
guvnor, i'm glad to hear everything is going to work out ok, it seems like that is rarely the case, i guess maybe there's something to reward her for coming clean, but if i were you i would go to her and strait up ask her for a good reason not to press charges, if she gives you a good answer maybe don't, but if there's any way to instill in her the fact that leaving someone on the side of the road car motorcycle or pedestrian is just strait up wrong, i would try.

but,, i would absolutely definately have your mechanic friend "replace" your "broken" levers with pazzo's. if she's got the scratch to drive a car irrisponsibly she's got the scratch to upgrade a few parts on your bike. sounds like you should get some fancy turn signals as well,,, and you know,, if you have to replce one you have to replace both,, they have to match.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts