Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep a car driving idiot knocked me off my bike tonight bike wont start driver ****ed off did not get the number legs ****ed oil and petrol everywhere bike just a whiring noise all the lights work cant see any lasting damage and then dies any suggestions bike was on its side and the oil was comming from a pipe under the bike sorry im new to biking dont know to much technical stuff can anyone help :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like you're OK..?

Your new to biking, get used to it. Treat every driver as a potential murderer... Keep well away, they'll always win, no matter how 'Giant' you are.

Now's a good time to get to know your bike, take as much off it as you feel confident about. You need to get to your air filter at least! Washing the bike lets you see it close up, inspect it, frame, wheels, handlebars, wiring etc. If you're not sure then take it somewhere where you can watch and ask.

You're a proper biker now, i usually fall off all by myself.......

·
Registered
890 Posts
Wow! Have to watch those cagers like a hawk. Pretend that they are all out to get you. You'll find that most of them are. Sounds like you are ok? If you are thats the most important thing. As far as your bike goes, it could just be badly flooded. Some time should fix that. Other wise take a very close look at any damage on the bike that could cause you problems. It is very easy to miss some minor damage. With out more to go on it is very hard to say what your problem might be. Maybe some of the real gear heads here might have a better idea.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Jeez, another bites it:( whats up with these cagers, still as long as your ok the bike can be fixed.

You need to get to your air filter at least!
Just to make sure no oil has passed through into the cylinders, unless the breather pipes been modded, dont try to start it.
Any witnesses to the incedent? & fully comp ins helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Giant

Under the seat there is a small blck box, behind the fuse box. This is a mercury tilt switch. If you drop the bike it kills power. I know this as I asked the Triumph technition (Thats a Laugh) when discussing the issue with my ____ed ECU.

You may find this is the problem. I dont know how to reset it but should be easy to bye pass to get it home.

Let us all know the result please

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Treat every driver as a potential murderer... Keep well away, they'll always win, no matter how 'Giant' you are.
+1 and don't imagine that wearing huge amounts of hi-viz stuff will help either. Most can't see you and those who can treat you as a target.

If you're ok, that's a good result. Bikes can be fixed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hi all im ok thanks

thanks for the kind words im ok bruised shoulder and left knee and my ribs hurt a bit but up and walking about went and got the bike this morning and with some jump leads started first time rode it home about two hundred yards from my house the engine management system light came on so ill phone the dealer tomorrow no damage to the bike except some scrapes on the engine cover i,ve checked her over and checked the oil she will be ok i think and ill look into getting some crash bars thanks again and i will watch out for those stupid cage drivers, just a bit pissed off that he or she got away with it the next biker might not be so lucky its a worry that someone that stupid is in charge of a vehicle at all :mad: p.s no witnesses and yes im fully comp

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tone in fens

with a population of about 60,000 people and most family's have two cars and with out a number like looking for a needle in a hay stack and the police are not investigating any further but did breathalize me though as i was about to be taken to a&e by the wife its been an experience is all i can say ill get the bike sorted im up and about and ill be riding my bike hopefully in a couple of days once its sorted

·
Registered
391 Posts
Giant

Under the seat there is a small black box, behind the fuse box. This is a mercury tilt switch. If you drop the bike it kills power.
I think the tilt switch is a bit of a hit and miss thing, when I came off my Tiger a year ago it did not stop the engine. :( Still might be worth checking though.

Andy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
management light

I had trouble with my engine management light on my old sprint, they charge £35.00 to turn it off. It should reset itself after a few starts (not sure how many think mine was about 10 or so) so hang on for a bit if it does not go out get it checked.
your bike has only been on the floor and you have not messed around with any electrical bits and pieces?
Glad your ok, same happend to me and the the driver buggered of and left me and my baby on the deck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
well it went like this greame

going along a one way road you can turn right at the end or go straight on i'm in the right hand lane indicator on slowing down to take the right hand turn white hatchback car undertakes me in other lane and cuts straight across me clips my front wheel with his/her back bumper i'm breaking and going oh **** and the next thing i know is i'm off laying in the road bike on its side and he or she just ****s off

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That's a hard one to take :(

Not much you could have done in preparation for that one.

Hope you and the bike are fit for another day :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
i'm breaking and going oh **** and the next thing i know is i'm off laying in the road bike on its side and he or she just ****s off [Quote by giantbutcherdog]

Didnt think to get the plate number on yer way down?:D Glad to hear that your injuries were fairly minor Best wished to ya and I hope whoever cut you off gets a bad case of some sort of VD, or something.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey GBD, sorry to hear about this! Did you have your panniers on? They work for low speed drops. I found out the hard way with a near miss with a cage. At least the idiot stopped to help me pick up the bike! I had no fluids leak and it started after being back upright for about 5 minutes. The engine light only came on one time afterwards. Kucky I guess...Glad to hear your ok.....

Block

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys im up and mobile

the bikes fine as i think i said just a scrape on the engine casing she started next morning and i've started her this morning and waited did not touch the throttle and waited for the fan to come on and then the engine light went out so i'm well happy now :) just mad that some idiot tried to kill me and to think my daughters on the road's on her little scooter could have been her :mad:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Glad to hear that you & the beast are OK. Takes a while for the bruses to heal on the ribs so take it easy. You have my sympathy, there are some real plonkers out there behind the wheels of cars & they don't half get you mad at times. I had a similar problem this time last year when a twat in a box decided that he wanted to use the lane that I was in instead of his own, he did stop though. My insurers are still fighting with his insurers to get my excess & uninsured losses back. Apparently the guy has not returned his companies requests for info about the crash. Its a real pain & shed load of hassle, if there is a next time I will make sure that the police charge the sod & I would avise anyone else to do the same, it will save you a lot of grief. If the police tell you they don't want to get involved, even if you don't think you are hurt, tell them you are injured; sore neck, back, ribs whatever & get yourself to hospital for a check up, the police need to do something about it then. Here is hoping no-one needs this advice :Angry_98OLVV:

Keep it Rubber side down.

D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks bigd

i will keep well clear of idiots in these boxes with wheels my dealer said that the engine will be fine but to make sure he will run a quick check when having a relay fitted for my lights so that both come on in dipped beam also looking at crash bars my baby will be fine :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts