Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Stupid question; where did you pick up the plate backing?
Believe it or not those are a little harder to find than you would think (at least for a reasonable price). The price some places want for a backing plate is utterly ridiculous. The one in the pictures is plastic (I think Custom Dynamics has them for a couple of bucks), but I didn't like it because it was a bit flimsy and had a little curvature to it so I found the backing plate from a chrome license plate frame I had on another bike I crashed and totaled about 3 years ago. Kuryakyn sells it as chrome frame that comes with a nice chromed metal backing plate for about $17 (Kuryakyn P/N 9166).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

This is a double post, I found this thread through another post I did asking the same question....

I feel just the way you all do.... The back of the bike is awsome! if it weren't for that ugly plastic tag bracket.

I changed everything... I designed a bracket ( 16ga steel & powder coated ) that would relocate the tag to the side and forward... when you do that and remove the PPOS (Plastic Piece of [email protected]#$), It leaves a small metal bracket that the PPOS is mounted too, and is welded to the fender.

And with out the PPOS you have to relocate the turn signals as well. I am not a real fan of the stock turn signals (to big) so I got a pair of Kuryakan bullet turn signals. The turn signals were moved up to the rear bolt in the strut.

I added an AUX brake ( brake only ) light under the edge of the fender, that covers the metal part that shows.

Here are pic of the results.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x..._/IMG_0487.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x..._/IMG_0485.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x..._/IMG_0484.jpg

I can reproduce these addons if anyone is interested.

NOTE: everything is what I call "Bolt on", but the wiring harnness has to be moditifed ( I made a replacement harness too ) and the rear hole in the fender and strut have to be drilled out to 3/8".

The rear turn signal has to have the wiring thru the center of the bolt to work. That is why the stock signals won't work.

I also added those triangle plates that bolt on where the rider foot pegs go. That is 1/4" plate aluminum buffed, ( I also do powder coating ). They just dress up the point where the foot pegs bolt on.

Like I said if your interested in these custom addons let me know. You can reply here... or email me directly [email protected]

Cheers
hagatha

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

As far as "The Law" goes, I can only vouch for Texas Law. I recommend that anyone wanting to mod your bike check local laws before you start.

I spoke with Maj. Baily of the TEXAS Department of Public Safety. He is the MFIC for the Southern half of Texas, but the laws I quote are TEXAS law.

The Texas License plate must be visible at 150' from the rear. It must be lighted. The Texas State inspection sticker must be visible from the rear also. No other stipulation on the stickers are stated. You must also have a RED reflector (DOT approved) that is visible from the rear. This is the only reflector required by law in Texas. These are the only stipulation stated in Texas Law.

All of my mods have been screened and approved by Texas DPS. I have a friend that is a DPS Trooper. He has also stated to me that the inspection sticker must be visible on approach to the bike, so that tells me it does not have to be "attached to the license plate... but this is our interpetation to the law.

Cheers
hagatha

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well score one for CA - I don't even know what an inspection sticker is and I certainly don't have a sticker on my bike - just the licensing ones one the plate itself. Stickers. ::shudder::

21 - 27 of 27 Posts