Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got tired of the abortion that was the license plate bracket. The rest of the Bird looks so nice that I just couldn't take it any more. It isn't a T-Bird specific feeling; it just seems that license plate brackets on most stock bikes look like more of an after thought than something that is part of the design and leave a lot to be desired. So I got out the tools last night and here is what I have now. I cut off the stock bracket just below the reflector, removed the standard plate light and mounted a backing plate to the flat spot. Wired it up and done. I used a Custom Dynamics low profile LED frame (it has a lifetime warranty) and I have to say, I like the way it came out.

IMAG0025_New.jpg IMAG0026_New.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same issue. I was writing in the thread, "I hate plastic." a need for someone to come up with a fender eliminator. What did you do about the plate light. I would really like to find a kit that gets rid of the plastic all together. Your mod still looks better than stock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...What did you do about the plate light...
The frame I used has integrated LED's. The stock light comes off with one nut and then you clip the wires (I left enough wire on the stock bulb socket that I could reuse it if ever needed). I drilled a 1/2" hole in the backing plate I used for the new frame to run the wires through and connected to the old wires under the fender. The frame I got was from Custom Dynamics, but Radiantz also makes one. I used the Radiantz on a previous bike where I did something similar and I think the Radiantz actually lights the plate a little better. I like them both, but if I were starting from scratch again, I'd probably use the Radiantz just to keep from giving some LEO that's having a bad night a reason to hassle me. You could probably instead use a standard frame with some of those lights that mount through the screw holes for the plate instead of having integrated lights in the frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Simon, the license plate bracket on the Thunderbird keeps me awake at night. I just bought the license plate frame and im going to try what you did, yours looks awesome. Would you mind taking a pic with the license plate off? I would like to see where you cut, drilled and your back plate. Thanks a TON in advance

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simon, the license plate bracket on the Thunderbird keeps me awake at night. I just bought the license plate frame and im going to try what you did, yours looks awesome. Would you mind taking a pic with the license plate off? I would like to see where you cut, drilled and your back plate. Thanks a TON in advance
Yeah, I can get some pics. It might be a day or two before I can get to it, but I will. It's not too hard with a couple of general tools and a little patience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pics added

Here are the pics you asked for.

Here is what I cut off. I cut the stock bracket off right where it starts to angle out just below the reflector.
IMAG0038_new.jpg

This is the backing plate in place. You can see the weatherproof spade connectors I used for the connections to the lighted frame sticking out of the hole. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the plate for the wires to come through and mounted it with 3 bolts. I didn't drill the 3 bolt holes on the bike. One hole is there from the bolt that held the stock light and the other 2 are the holes from where the reflector was mounted. They just happened to line up good for this application.
IMAG0028_New.jpg

This shows the wires under the fender. The old wires are just long enough to reach the stock light, so after cutting the light off, I soldered a couple of inches of wire back on to stick through the hole.
IMAG0037_New.jpg

You will also need to put a small notch in your license plate in the upper right corner for the wires on the lighted frame to go through. It's covered when the frame is in place.
IMAG0031_New.jpg

You can run the wires however you wish, but I placed four 1/4" spacers (one on each license plate bolt) between the lighted frame and backing plate so the wires could sit in between the license plate and the backing plate. You don't notice it when it's assembled.

Good luck with your mod, I think you'll be happier with the looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Simon!! License plate frame should be here soon. If i dont jack it up ill post pics of my Storm when its done. Thanks again

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you put your inspection sticker?
Here in Missouri, they stick it on your front fork.

I hate stickers, and the first thing I do is remove any sticker from a car or bike and what's the first thing the state does when they get their fingers on it? They put a nice colored sticker right in plain view and it puts my undies in a bunch to no end. One of the guys I talked to said they aren't allowed to stick them to one of those inspection sticker plates that you can put on your bike and they have to be in plain view. When I got my first bike inspected and saw that sticker blaring at me when I picked it up, I wanted to kill the nearest living thing I could find.

:Shooting

·
Registered
111 Posts

I hate stickers, and the first thing I do is remove any sticker from a car or bike and what's the first thing the state does when they get their fingers on it? They put a nice colored sticker right in plain view and it puts my undies in a bunch to no end. One of the guys I talked to said they aren't allowed to stick them to one of those inspection sticker plates that you can put on your bike and they have to be in plain view. When I got my first bike inspected and saw that sticker blaring at me when I picked it up, I wanted to kill the nearest living thing I could find.

I wonder if there is a state law that mandates the location of the sticker. Mine is on a plastic tab just below the plate. Talk about UGLY. If you can move it I would put it on the side of the neck just high enough that a cop could see it but not be so noticable.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I wonder if there is a state law that mandates the location of the sticker. Mine is on a plastic tab just below the plate. Talk about UGLY. If you can move it I would put it on the side of the neck just high enough that a cop could see it but not be so noticable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, finally got tired of the abortion that was the license plate bracket. The rest of the Bird looks so nice that I just couldn't take it any more. It isn't a T-Bird specific feeling; it just seems that license plate brackets on most stock bikes look like more of an after thought than something that is part of the design and leave a lot to be desired. So I got out the tools last night and here is what I have now. I cut off the stock bracket just below the reflector, removed the standard plate light and mounted a backing plate to the flat spot. Wired it up and done. I used a Custom Dynamics low profile LED frame (it has a lifetime warranty) and I have to say, I like the way it came out.

View attachment 35047 View attachment 35048
Not good, you obstruct the nice shape view of the fender curve from the rear standpoint.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not good, you obstruct the nice shape view of the fender curve from the rear standpoint.
Well...to each his own I guess; if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a very boring place. I think the stock plate bracket was the only thing on the bike that was REALLY ugly. I guess what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder is true, because I think the stock bracket ruined the look of the whole back end both from the side and the back. I think the stock looked like an after thought (as they do on most bikes in my opinion) and it's just thrown on because there has to be one. To be honest, for a bike that looks so good otherwise, I'm surprised I haven't seen more changing it one way or another. It's usually a common complaint on boards for other bikes I've owned and something I have seen a lot of people change whether they modify the stock bracket or do a complete relocation. It's all good though; I'll just be happy knowing mine is prettier than yours (even if it's just me that thinks it). :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
I guess what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder is true, because I think the stock bracket ruined the look of the whole back end both from the side and the back.
I am actually of the exact opposite opinion of you. I think Triumph actually did a pretty decent job on the license plate bracket. The only thing I'd change would be to get rid of the little nubby bumper thing that sticks out. I give you credit for using your ingenuity to come up with an alternative idea, but to be honest I don't think it looks any better. But as Triumph says, "Go Your Own Way." Make it your own I always say. I'm glad you are happy with the results. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just found out that here in TEXAS we have to have the inspection sticker visible from the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Texas Inspection Sticker

Unfortunately here in Texas the Inspection Sticker has to be placed with the plate on the rear of the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts