Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a year I have been reading the threads on the stuttering problem and that it does not seem to have a definitive answer. I got on mine Sunday and fired it up for a ride and it started the stuttering at different RPMs. Nearly dropped it at the first turn when it lost power. Riding on the highway about 4000, it would drop 500RPM for a half second and come back. Does not seem as bad at high RPM. I had not been on it for a couple of weeks so I thought maybe it just needed the cobs blown out. So at a stop sign on a small two lane I decided to open it up. Not a miss at hard accelleration and shifting(I don't know how fast these are, but it indicates 80MPH at 8000RPM in 3rd) but as I went back to normal riding it started again. I never felt it was going to quit on me but it is annoying and would not be safe to ride like this all the time. I guess I will start down the list and try to figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

It is a 2000, 1200 with about 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Bluetrophy,

Ok, where do we start.

Your bike`s a 2000 model and done 16,000 miles so give or take 2,000 miles a year which is a very low mileage to be honest.

All bikes suffer from they`re pilot jets blocking from time to time but it seems our trumpets seem to suffer more than most and this could very well be the problem you have. Personally i can`t see the point in cleaning and possibly scoring the pilot jets so i just get in touch with this place and he`ll send you out some nice new ones for about £7 each and you know they`ll be right. All you need to do is to know the make of your carbs (written on the side of carb body) and the normal stuff like engine cc and year.

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/contact.html

Secondly, we go across to the electrical side of things.

Why i don`t know but the spade connections going onto the HT coils seem to slacken off over time and need to be tightened up so you really have to shove the connector hard to get it onto the coil again.

Another thing is that the standard Gill HT coils have an annoying habit of intermittently breaking down for no reason so your best to have a look on them to see if they`re made by Gill or the far better PVL coils. IMHO

If you get stuck and can`t get it sorted out with any of these then drop me a PM.

Cheers, Matt. :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
My bike does exactly what you are describing when it is not properly warmed up prior to riding. I know it gets pretty cold there in Oklahoma, just a thought. It is around 20 degrees when I head off to work in the morning, I let the bike warm for about 10 minutes before I head off. Last year I was riding primarily in subfreezing temps, and I covered half the radiator with a piece of cardboard to speed the warming. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My bike does exactly what you are describing when it is not properly warmed up prior to riding. I know it gets pretty cold there in Oklahoma, just a thought. It is around 20 degrees when I head off to work in the morning, I let the bike warm for about 10 minutes before I head off. Last year I was riding primarily in subfreezing temps, and I covered half the radiator with a piece of cardboard to speed the warming. Hope it helps.
If your bike is needing to warm up for 10 minutes then i`d be looking a pilot mixture as here in Scotland then my bike will fire up with full choke on and the it can be taken off it within 1 minute and is ready to run no matter how cold it gets.

20 degrees is like mid summer here and that`s the only time the rain`s warm ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. What is the AI? I have not had an opportunity to get out to mess with it since the problem last week. I have put most of the I bought the bike lasty year with about 11,000 miles it and have put the 5,000 on in under a year without a sputter. It probably sat for only a week or two since riding or starting but that is not the longest it had set. I will start to check out some of those issues discussed next week. It is supossed to warm up some.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm grossly overdue servicing too, I bet it is more that than anything. I have been waiting for my brakes and tires to come in, I will be starting on it soon. I keep your suggestion in mind Matt, thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts
I going with coils.
Go ahead and replace them. When mine failed it felt like a cough when I rolled on power. The coils are known weakness, so replace them before your start pulling the carbs. There is a date stamped on the coils. If yours a prior to '98 trash both of them!
By the way, when my coils failed, I took a part the whole fuel system and still did not fix anything.
Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
get yourself a pair of NOLOGY Pro-Fire coils (got them on Ebay for $59 each). The stock coils aren't worth the bolts that hold them to the frame.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Coils were my first thought but there are soooo many other factors that seem to create this issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts