Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up with the idea of blanking off the left hand side of a standard 3into2 system and just using one side to fit to a silencer. The exhaust gas from cylinder 1 would flow through the balancer pipe but would have a longer journey than the other two cylinders. Anyone think this is a good/bad idea?

Otherwise, I'll be bending up new pipe and joining it to make a proper 3into1 system, but this is a lot more work.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't think the extra travel from cylinder one will be a big deal, but you may find they your bike is running too rich since your exhaust system will be more restrictive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree - I thought about jetting cylinder one leaner as a result, but am not too excited about the force imbalance on the crank.

The next idea I came up with was to blank off both sides, taking a feed from the balance pipe to a single silencer. At least that way, all 3 cylinders are fighting the same battle, but it would be a bit unsightly.

I've since had a better idea. Twin aftermarket exhausts designed for a Suzuki SV1000 should do the trick. I've bought a pair of Quill Evo2s. Will weld up a link pipe and let you know how they run. Perhaps post a link to a video clip so you can hear the sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts