Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 800xc that I am super excited about. However, one of the grab handles is broken and separated from the mount. I cannot determine the material they are made from. They are non-magnetic but feel too substantial to be aluminum. Can these be welded? If not, Any replacement alternatives? They are VERY expensive.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Aluminum or Stainless Steel can be Tig welded.

I don't know if the manufacturers ever used cast zinc/pot metal, but it appears much like aluminum but is heavier, harder and more brittle.
Zinc cannot be welded satisfactorily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks teamcurtis,but I’m trying to avoid spending $100. I’ll take it to a welding shop to see if they can do anything with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m going to try JB weld. It’s the right side so it isn’t used to help the bike onto the center stand. It doesn’t need a lot of strength for a passenger hold. If I have a tip over and it break again I’ll just try more jb weld.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I’m going to try JB weld. It’s the right side so it isn’t used to help the bike onto the center stand. It doesn’t need a lot of strength for a passenger hold. If I have a tip over and it break again I’ll just try more jb weld.
I don't know what your part looks like but it might be a suitable fix to place a piece of aluminum or stainless flat strip on the underside of your part and put one or two machine screws through on each side of the crack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I mentioned not needing Much strength for a passenger, but actually I will not have a passenger. My wife won’t ride with me until both of our children are grown and I refuse to let my children ride with me. Therefore passenger safety does not have to be a consideration so I don’t have to “come off it”.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The handle has two mounting points. One point is broken and the other is fine. It is very strong it just doesn’t look good. It in NO way compromises anyone’s safety. I know I didn’t make this clear but why are people assuming I’m putting lives and safety at risk. This is my first post on this sight and I have already received one response from someone that thinks I value money over lives and another that thinks they are my father telling me to fix it.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Take it off and bring to a welder to look at. Probably cast aluminum. Aluminum can be very substantial when it needs to be. Shouldn't be too expensive if all you want is the crack welded.

But, go ahead with the JB Weld and see what happens. Not much expense. I haven't had great luck with JB when an area has stress or weight on it. Can't hurt to try. Don't get rattled by responses. Or should I say assumptions.

Could also drill and tap a hole for a machine screw to attach, but without a pic, don't know if that is feasible for you.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You might need to create a groove within the crack all around with a file or grinder to have a place for the JB to adhere to and build up vs just smearing the JB on the surface. Not the same as welding for holding strength.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts