Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks:

In case you haven't noticed, cafe racers are the latest HOT thing in motorcycling. We've got people chopping and bobbing 'Birds and Bonnies right and left, the Thruxtons are flying out the dealer's doors, and now there is a new AHRMA "vintage" race series, the Thruxton Cup!

So, this forum is a place for you to discuss your passion for the cafe ride and scene. Feel free to discuss ideas to bike mods, great places to ride, cool cafe hangouts, the rocker scene, or whatever else strikes your fancy.

Come on in and enjoy yourself. All I ask is that you treat everyone and their ideas with a little respect. The mods each person makes to their rides are a matter of personal expression.

Rock On!

[ This message was edited by: cafetbird on 2004-12-18 22:04 ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought my Thruxton last Sat after 8 months of waiting patiently. It is so much fun. I have put on the T.O.R. pipes and a centerstand. (Centerstand should have come stock) I also removed the air-injection system. Next mods are remofing the rear fender and sending the headers to get ceramic coated at Performance Coatings in Auburn WA.
Make it yours. Individual.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - Centerstands do not come standard for many reasons:

1. They are heavy
2. They reduce ground clearance and cornering
3. You don't need one.
4. The add unneccessary cost to the bike
5. For the reasons above, not everyone wants one.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had a centerstand on my '72 Norton Commando, I rode it that way for a year. It was a pain in the butt and didn't do anything I couldn't do with a motocycle lift, so I tossed it and installed a sidestand. Still some metal to carry around, but at least I wasn't dragging it around corners.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Getting ready to buy a blue Thruxton. I have an 04 Bonnie...love her. But, I just love the classic style/look of the new Thruxton.

So...before I take the plunge, any negatives? Like how long into the ride before your wrists ache? Bar risers???

tx.
doc

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My experience with cafe racers is that I don't notice I'm working harder when I'm riding. I think it's because I'm having so much fun and it's such an adrenaline rush. I notice it later, a couple of hours after the ride it over. But seriously, I think it's subjective, you should take one for a test ride and see what you think. Better yet, if you can switch with a buddy for a day ride, you'll get a much better feel for it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On my Bonnie Black, the original owner had Black Triumph flyscreen installed before he picked up the bike then he installed Corbin Gunfighter seat. To me it seems to give it a kind of Thruxton -----Flavor! Maybe flavor isn't right phrase so don't be upset with me, I just know I like it this way better than with stock seat!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try putting a set of lower bars on your Bonnie if you want to lean (pun intended) toward the Thruxton/Cafe look. I just put a set of superbars from Bellacorse on my Bonnie and it lowered the look of the bike and still feels comfortable. The stock bars look so ... cruiserish compared to the superbars and the new bars went on in 15 minutes. Thanks to a post here I removed the left side grip without damaging it and was able to use it again. Lower bars will give you more wind protection in concert with your flyscreen too. While I still like the look of the Bonnies with the stock bars, the leaned forward riding style is what I have always ridden and I find that it is more comfortable on longer trips.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I wanted to pick some of the cafe racer brains out there because (I have to admit) I'm a little ignorant to this "genre" of bikes. My buddy has been looking into getting a cafe racer style bike. He's really been looking at some of the two-stroke bikes from the 70s (like the RD 400 and H1 & H2 kawasaki's).

I figured that triumph could totally out class those bikes and wanted to see what was available out there as an option. Here's the tricky part: he only wants to spend like $2000 - $3000. :mad:

Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2005-12-22 01:29, fivehundo wrote:
I wanted to pick some of the cafe racer brains out there because (I have to admit) I'm a little ignorant to this "genre" of bikes.
Great discussion, and probably somewhat debateable. Cafe racers have been around since the 50's, and grew most popular in the 60's. The style is based on taking "standard" bikes of the era, and cosmetically turning them into racer replicas. Most cafe racers are built, not bought. Before the Thruxton and the new Ducati Retro Sports, this was pretty much the only way to get one... with a few notable exceptions, like the Honda GB500.

Since the origins of the breed come from the U.K., some of the most classic styles are of British origin - Triumphs, Nortons, Tritons, BSA, etc. That being said, in this day and age, most any "standard" bike can be converted into a cafe racer. The look is all based on personal style and preference. Most consistent modifications include:
1. Clip on style handlebars or clubman bars
2. Bobbed front and rear fenders
3. Rear set foot controls
4. Racer type solo seat w/ rear cowl
5. Lots of custom creation!

In the $2k - $3k range, your friend will probably have to build their cafe. I would recommend a model with good reliability and parts availability. The trick is to get a bike that is going to be dependable, easy to modify, and have good handling characteristics.

Ones that come to mind are the Yamaha XS650, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB350 and 450, etc. I would not recommend the old Kaws, they were prone to frame twistiness and dangerous. I know a few people with RD cafes. They are pretty cool (for two strokes). I'm building a cafe racer our of a Bridgestone 350GTR two stroke. You might even be able to pick up a crashed new Bonnie from a salvage yard and make a good project from it in that range.

Places to check out for ideas:
caferace.com
Omars (He has a Water Buffalo cafe bike for sale right now in the range your friend is considering)
Bellacorse

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Thanks a lot man!!! Some good info there. I think my next bike is going to be something old school like that. I like old bonnies and T100s. Maybe I'll try to put something like that together from an old bonnie...

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Centerstands. I've ridden my Bonnie for 27 yrs. with one. Now that they have affordable bike stands, I going to take it off. They grind, bang on big bumps and are extra weight. Just my exp. On mine you still have to shim it to replace the wheel after a flat. I'll just lay it over. I want a new thruxton, but I also want a new speed triple, a new harley, a new anything for a SECOND ride, But I can't afford any of them this year so I'll just keep vibrating. I got UK bars on it now, But I think I will go to lower bars and cafe seat and find some fenders in the boneyard to bob. I like the look. Nice forum.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just bought my Thruxton two weeks ago.

I never have had a new bike. Always vintage; let me see: Started with a dirt bike, then scooter, a comando, then a sporster, after that an 66' dream, then an 80' r100.

So in other words I am very excited, most of all I wont have to wrench on saturdays to ride on Sunday - lol

Im getting some mods put on the bike as we speak: Bub mufflers, New tail light, 170 back tire. Rizome brake reservoir, Fenderless fender plate.Ordered some new intruments and dash board - hate the gluy stock one, taking off the blinkers ( b - o - b -b - e- r ), taking the California emission stuff off so it will perform better, and new mirrors from sky king. Thinking about lowering it 1 1/2", nickle plating the gas tank, and painting the front fender black or getting a polished one. whew!

Oh yeh - its black...

Good Stuff

[ This message was edited by: Whitehurst on 2006-11-23 10:17 ]

·
Registered
781 Posts
Scot (the best pack leader I know... in his price-range),

Where does my Bionic Bonnie fit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, I am riding an 04 thruxton, with a few mods, in the Boulder, CO area. Anybody else with thruxton, or triumphs for that matter, want to go riding? Take it easy. Mantooth.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts