Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 America
Been scratching my head for few days now. I took the bike out for a spin and the rear breaks had no resistances.
I’ve flushed almost 2/3 of a bottle of fluid through now, don’t seem like there are any air left in the lines.
While trying to pressurize the brakes again, the pressure would only build to approximately 50-70% resistance but if I let go of the brakes all the way, the pressure would be all gone.
The rear brake lights would not be fully lit as well, it would be partially on since it’s kinda of dim still compared to when I press down on my front brakes.
Also check the brake lines through too, no leaks anywhere.
Has anyone came across this issue before?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Sounds like.the.master cylinder might be "toast". ...J.D.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Pump up the brake pedal. If it holds pressure, there's still air in there
If that's the case, try removing the caliper and making the bleed nipple the highest point in the system and re-bleed. Be sure to block the pads so the pistons don't pop out.
If it fades under constant pressure, it's a bad master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Our rear brake line route will challenge anyone when flushing or bleeding the system. As it drops well below the caliper traveling past the block containing the rear brake light switch before going back up up to the caliper. A low cost (Harbor Freight) brake bleed kit was very helpful for me with the rear brakes. It does sound like there may be a problem, and a tool to help bleed the system could be useful.

Reactions: The Hornet

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
+1 on the brake bleeder.
Be sure to wash the O-ring after every use. I use Dawn dish soap.
If left uncleaned, I had trouble with them swelling up and then the unit becomes unusable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
03 America
Been scratching my head for few days now. I took the bike out for a spin and the rear breaks had no resistances.
I’ve flushed almost 2/3 of a bottle of fluid through now, don’t seem like there are any air left in the lines.
While trying to pressurize the brakes again, the pressure would only build to approximately 50-70% resistance but if I let go of the brakes all the way, the pressure would be all gone.
The rear brake lights would not be fully lit as well, it would be partially on since it’s kinda of dim still compared to when I press down on my front brakes.
Also check the brake lines through too, no leaks anywhere.
Has anyone came across this issue before?
Took some time off, bought new pads, and they work again. The pads were just completely worn.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Since you did replace the rear pads, did you notice the new pad thickness was different for the inner & outer pad? It's not a lot but they are not the same out of the package.
*when checking the rear pads for wear you do need to look at both inner & outer pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts