Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chopper with a 1970 TR6R powertrain, anyways, I have an aftermarket oil tank that has 3 fittings, one for the feed, one for scavenge (including a "T" for the rockers) then one that appears to be a vent/overflow, all on the bottom of the tank, the scavenge and feed are where they are supposed to be and function normally. This other oddball fitting dumps oil when you shut the bike off,or under hard running! so i plugged it off and the cap blew off!(i lost it by the way.) after the caps off,no dumping or pressure. no leaks. I bought another cap, routed a line from the odd fitting, figuring its a vent or something, higher than the oil tank under the seat,and rode for 15 miles oil belched out on my black cherry fender and my right leg!, so i removed the cap, drove home again and all was well. this appears to have a functional use ,for what i do not know, its not a chain oiler, right now I added a vent tube to my cap to solve the problem, anyone ever seen these? does it have to do with OIF versions? If its supposed to be there where does it go? never seen one before.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have three spigots on the bottom. One is a feed line,one is an oil return to tank which splices intwo to form a 3rd line that goes to the rocker boxes. The top of the oil tank should vent. Oil level should be well below the return hole. Got any pictures of this tank?

no picture at this moment,Ill say this, all 3 spigots are on the bottom of the tank the one that pukes is on the far left corner,facing down, the other two, on the right center, yes the scavenge one does form into two for the rockers and the feed is the one in the middle with the threaded spigot. the one that pukes is a vent? I routed the hose above the top of the tank,and still puked,perhaps too much oil?

·
Registered
625 Posts
A vent tube that sticks out of the bottom of the tank will have a 'tube' inside the tank that leads up to the top of the tank ... look inside with a little flashlight and see if there is one there ... if it IS a vent tube and the tank is puking ... you have too much oil in there ... a lot of the aftermarket tanks just don't hold that much ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RC has it right, too much oil in your tank.

That vent opening should be threaded; screw in a fitting and attach a tube to it, then run it out below one side of the bike, clear of the rear tire.
Yea thats what i figured after reading the posts, any best guess on how far from the opening the oil level should be? the damn thing doesnt have a dipstick, I put in 3 qts and it was about 1 1/2 inches below the opening.(obviously too much)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts