Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am at speed on my Daytona 1200 and I actuate the front brake I'm finding that the first 25% I am applying the brakes it's a nice building pressure, good feedback. After that 25% it begins to feel very rough and I cannot really describe how it feels other than, "grabby". The brakes don't lock up but the feedback I get is horrible. Should I look into mabey changing out the fluid? In the future I would love to upgrade to SS brake lines but funding has been cut in order to procure tickets for a vacation.
Also does anyone have any good remidies for removing paint (oil based) from leather without destroying the leather I heard about olive oil.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If your bike is a '93, you're due to put the 4th set of new brake lines on this year! :eek:

Seriously, the rubber brake lines are scheduled for replacement every 4 years. Brake fluid is every 12k miles or every 2 years, whichever comes first.

Changing to stainless lines will definitely improve the feel. It's the first mod I do to any new bike I get that doesn't have them already, & it's usually the best bang for the buck. Bleeding the brakes/replacing the fluid might be enough, though.

No idea on removing the paint from leather, but I can tell you that olive oil isn't likely to hurt the leather.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
When I am at speed on my Daytona 1200 and I actuate the front brake I'm finding that the first 25% I am applying the brakes it's a nice building pressure, good feedback. After that 25% it begins to feel very rough and I cannot really describe how it feels other than, "grabby". The brakes don't lock up but the feedback I get is horrible. Should I look into mabey changing out the fluid? In the future I would love to upgrade to SS brake lines but funding has been cut in order to procure tickets for a vacation.
Also does anyone have any good remidies for removing paint (oil based) from leather without destroying the leather I heard about olive oil.
Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan,
How'd you get a '93 Daytona 1200 in the U.S.? Triumph didn't start importing D12s into America 'till 1995. did you import iy yourself?

Definitely change those brake lines. Russell makes a good set. While your at it you may as well go ahead and rebuild the calipers too. It's not rocket science, just a bunch of rubber seals and gaskets.

dc

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, I had no clue these brake lines needed to be replaced so often, I think SS would be the best route. I just find that odd because my 73'RD 350 has never had the brake lines changed and it is in great condition.
As for how did I get the bike in the US, that's a great question that I have no answer to. My father in law had the bike imported and I know he likes his European motorcycles so he may have had some connects to bring it through Canada. I definately like that extra cylinder, km was a bit to get used to though.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Rubber lines in general decay fairly rapidly, stainless lines last for many years. No idea why your RD is still good!

If you're wondering why the stainless lasts better, it's because the actual brake line, the part that carries the fluid, is Teflon. The woven stainless cover is there to protect the fragile Teflon tube from being cut or pinched. Teflon is non-reactive, so it doesn't break down when exposed to brake fluid, & it doesn't stretch, so it's much better under pressure than rubber.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Rubber lines in general decay fairly rapidly, stainless lines last for many years. No idea why your RD is still good!

If you're wondering why the stainless lasts better, it's because the actual brake line, the part that carries the fluid, is Teflon. The woven stainless cover is there to protect the fragile Teflon tube from being cut or pinched. Teflon is non-reactive, so it doesn't break down when exposed to brake fluid, & it doesn't stretch, so it's much better under pressure than rubber.

Cheers,
-Kit

... and they look so much cooler too in a very form over function kinda way

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
... and they look so much cooler too in a very form over function kinda way
Sho' 'nuff! :D

Also, I've been buying my stainless lines in pieces for years. Pegasus sells Goodridge lines & fittings much cheaper than the usual kits if you don't mind measuring your existing lines.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I think the '93 would have had rubber lines regardless of location, where a '96 UK bike would definitely have had stainless lines from the get-go. IIRC, DOT regulations held up adoption of stainless lines in the US, but the UK got 'em around '95. This is all from memory, so could be horribly wrong.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would also take a good look at the brake pads.If they have been contaminated by the fork oil that has probably leaked down the slider or brake fluid they can produce the symptoms you describe.Look at the rotors too.If they have dark smeary looking areas on them its a sign of contamination.And remember,Brake repairs are always cheaper the a crash!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the ebay link, that is a great price. I ended up getting some A.B.B brake lines from allbikbakes.com? They also had HEL's that were about $15 more than their brand but I opted for the cheaper ones, but still for $71 and free shipping in the US, I thought was a great deal since HEL is selling their sets (92-97 Daytona 1200) for $147, compared to $81 at this website, great customer service too. I can't wait for them to arrive.

·
Registered
414 Posts
correct address

Hi ffry63,

Just went to that site - by the way, the correct address is allbikebrakes.com. - your fingers must have skipped some keys in all the excitement. I notice that they have some OEM style kits in stainless from HEL. Does anyone have any experience with either ABB or HEL? Once my forks are done, a little braking improvement would be nice and the prices look pretty reasonable even after the currency beating, customs charges and taxes (Welcome to the great white North where the government always has its hand in your back pocket!).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Indeed I am very excited, like little kid waiting for Christmas morning. They're really quick and like I said their customer service is top notch, I"ll keep an update on this product I ordered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts