Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '08 has some pretty high bars and was thinking about the lower ones that came on the earlier models. If you had low and went high, or had the high ones and went lower, what are your impressions? Is the angle any different between the two?

·
Registered
444 Posts
My '08 has some pretty high bars and was thinking about the lower ones that came on the earlier models. If you had low and went high, or had the high ones and went lower, what are your impressions? Is the angle any different between the two?
I went from the stock '99 bars (which are lower than the stock 05-06 bars) to the 07 high bars, and haven't looked back.

It's a slight (barely noticable) tradeoff on steering quickness since you have a bit less weight over the tank with higher bars, but you always have the option of tucking a little lower if you like. Might make hanging off tougher for some folks though, depending on height and arm length.

The higher bars are about an inch and a half taller, but also come back about 3/4" compared to the shorter bars. Fore and aft angles are the same, as are the horizontal and vertical angles.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
If I had wanted ape hangers, I'd have bought a Harley.:D

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I run the stock bars on my RS, and I spent a good deal of money making sure I could preserve those ergos when I do my front end swap. I put an adapter and some superbike bars on my Trident, which raised the grips and brought them slightly back. I would have removed it if the motor hadn't seized. I'm with Don here. Well, maybe not entirely. If I wanted ape hangers, I prolly woulda gone with an R1200C. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the low original bars on my bike and changed them to the higher type on later bikes. My problem is that I have longish legs compared to my trunk and find the bars are still too far away, after about 50 miles my back is not happy. I tried out a BMW K1300GT, the bars were closer and I didn't get the backache. The problem now is how to get a shorter reach on a Sprint because it has a unique type yoke to be used with Triumph's own bars. Standard risers are going to look a mess. A custom yoke is an answer I guess, but are there any other suggestions?

These pictures might show the problem better than I can explain.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The LSL superbike bar conversion is what did it for me. The bars are about 2" lower than the standard '08 bar and back about 1.25". Also the grip angle is much less acute. All day comfy now. I do need to trim the bars about 1" or so as they are pretty wide. I also need to make some tapped slugs up so I can fit a proper bar end on the left and a Kakao throttle lock on the right. I'll get that sorted this week as I am finally home.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd get the LSL bars in a second if it didn't mean having to do away with my Triumph GPS mount which I really like a lot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i assume the '08 bars are the same as the '07 bars? i'd planned to upgrade to the '07.

i've got an '05.

thanks in advance ...

The LSL superbike bar conversion is what did it for me. The bars are about 2" lower than the standard '08 bar and back about 1.25". Also the grip angle is much less acute. All day comfy now. I do need to trim the bars about 1" or so as they are pretty wide. I also need to make some tapped slugs up so I can fit a proper bar end on the left and a Kakao throttle lock on the right. I'll get that sorted this week as I am finally home.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
<...>I also need to make some tapped slugs up so I can fit a proper bar end on the left and a Kakao throttle lock on the right. I'll get that sorted this week as I am finally home.
Is the Kakao anything like a Throttlemeister? Figuring out how to deal with that is pretty much the last thing holding me back on my front end swap.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
509 Posts
CalSprint,
I think the '07 bars are higher than the '05s and the '08 up bars higher yet. I liked neither the extra rise nor the grip angle of the stockers on my '08, gone now.

Kit,
The Kakao is similar to the Throttlemeister. Both need a hard mounting point on the bar to work, not a rubber plug as they will jack that out. I'm having the machine shop at work make me a slug that will be a near press fit into my bars. I'll make it long enough that I can drive it in there and then secure with a roll pin so it can't be pulled out. I'll tap it 5 mm so the stock and/or Kakao/Throttlemeister bar ends can be used.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's a good point - can anyone confirm that the ST bars were raised in 07 and then again for the 08 model years? I'm curious about the evolution of the Sprint handlebars.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Shovelstrokeed said:
I'm having the machine shop at work make me a slug that will be a near press fit into my bars. I'll make it long enough that I can drive it in there and then secure with a roll pin so it can't be pulled out.
Another option is to take careful ID msmnts and ask the machinist to turn the slugs to a Class V fit. Then put the slugs in a freezer overnight before installing them. If you need to fiddle with them a bit before installing them, a pan of Acetone with a tray of ice cubes will maintain a very low temp for a bit. Of course, if you have LN2, that would be the way to go.:D

Once installed, they will not need a roll pin.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the 07 and 08 bars are the same. I had the 07 bars fitted to my 06 bike, being only 5'7" I find the higher bars make a huge difference. I no longer get a pain in my wrists, forearms don't ache on a long run and less weight on the shoulders. Used with the stock low screen putting the wind into my chest as against into my head the ride is altogether more comfortable especially when doing long jouneys. They definately work for me and my brother in law and he's 6'4" and finds the same level of comfort. No have I found it affects the handling one jot.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I found a cheap set of Genmar risers for my '01, and i wouldn't go back. When i start riding aggressively they're too tall because i tend to lean over the front more. 90+% of my riding isn't aggressive, though. I'd prolly go taller, but the fairing would get in the way.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Another option is to take careful ID msmnts and ask the machinist to turn the slugs to a Class V fit. Then put the slugs in a freezer overnight before installing them. If you need to fiddle with them a bit before installing them, a pan of Acetone with a tray of ice cubes will maintain a very low temp for a bit. Of course, if you have LN2, that would be the way to go.:D

Once installed, they will not need a roll pin.
BTDT on the shrink fit. Spent about 10 years of my life as a millwright. Bars are aluminum so a bit of a PITA in re potential for galling on assembly. I also have lots of LN2 kicking around so I could shrink the plug, no problem. A roll pin set at the part line and a line on line fit will more than do the job without resorting to exotica and, if I want to trim the bars further, I can remove it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts